Обсуждение: Feature matrix updates

Feature matrix updates

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Please see updates for the feature matrix in advance of the PostgreSQL
15 release:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/

In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional  categories
including:

* Replication
* JSON
* Transactions and Visibility
* VACUUM and Maintenance
* Client Applications

This is to continue to reduce the amount of features kept in the
"Backend" section (and to a lesser extent, "Performance"), which
historically was used as a "catch all".

This also removed the "contrib/" prefix from all of the additional
modules listed in "Additional Modules".

Please let me know your thoughts on the PG15 bits and if there is
anything notable that is missing.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/release-15.html
[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-15-beta-1-released-2453/

Вложения

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
> 15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional  categories
> including:
>
> * Replication
> * JSON
> * Transactions and Visibility
> * VACUUM and Maintenance
> * Client Applications

Looks good, but can we remove "Autovacuum enabled by default" and
"Multiple autovacuum workers"? That would leave only "Integrated
autovacuum daemon", which seems like it covers the existence of
autovacuum in enough detail. I believe that autovacuum has existed in
more or less its current form for far longer than the total lifespan of
"autovacuum as a contrib extension". Prehistoric autovacuum just
doesn't seem like a useful point of comparison here.

There are still probably some places in the docs which imply that
autovacuum plays second fiddle to the VACUUM command, when if anything
it's really the other way around. We still have lots of problems with
the documentation of VACUUM, which I hope to get around to fixing in
the next few months.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
Erik Rijkers
Дата:
On 7/17/22 20:34, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please see updates for the feature matrix in advance of the PostgreSQL
> 15 release:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/
>
> In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
> 15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional  categories
> including:
>
> * Replication
> * JSON
> * Transactions and Visibility
> * VACUUM and Maintenance
> * Client Applications

Perhaps add one item for

   * Indexing & Constraints

to wit:

-----
"Allow unique constraints and indexes to treat NULL values as not
distinct (Peter Eisentraut)

Previously NULL values were always indexed as distinct values, but this
can now be changed by creating constraints and indexes using UNIQUE
NULLS NOT DISTINCT."
-----

Erik

> This is to continue to reduce the amount of features kept in the
> "Backend" section (and to a lesser extent, "Performance"), which
> historically was used as a "catch all".
>
> This also removed the "contrib/" prefix from all of the additional
> modules listed in "Additional Modules".
>
> Please let me know your thoughts on the PG15 bits and if there is
> anything notable that is missing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/release-15.html
> [2]
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-15-beta-1-released-2453/

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 7/17/22 2:53 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
>> 15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional  categories
>> including:
>>
>> * Replication
>> * JSON
>> * Transactions and Visibility
>> * VACUUM and Maintenance
>> * Client Applications
>
> Looks good, but can we remove "Autovacuum enabled by default" and
> "Multiple autovacuum workers"? That would leave only "Integrated
> autovacuum daemon", which seems like it covers the existence of
> autovacuum in enough detail. I believe that autovacuum has existed in
> more or less its current form for far longer than the total lifespan of
> "autovacuum as a contrib extension". Prehistoric autovacuum just
> doesn't seem like a useful point of comparison here.

Yeah, included in the above update was removing some "prehistoric" (as
you term it) features/changes that did not seem to make sense on the matrix.

I think it's OK to remove those two.

> There are still probably some places in the docs which imply that
> autovacuum plays second fiddle to the VACUUM command, when if anything
> it's really the other way around. We still have lots of problems with
> the documentation of VACUUM, which I hope to get around to fixing in
> the next few months.

Sounds good.

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 7/17/22 4:18 PM, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> On 7/17/22 20:34, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please see updates for the feature matrix in advance of the PostgreSQL
>> 15 release:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/
>>
>> In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
>> 15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional
>> categories including:
>>
>> * Replication
>> * JSON
>> * Transactions and Visibility
>> * VACUUM and Maintenance
>> * Client Applications
>
> Perhaps add one item for
>
>    * Indexing & Constraints
>
> to wit:
>
> -----
> "Allow unique constraints and indexes to treat NULL values as not
> distinct (Peter Eisentraut)
>
> Previously NULL values were always indexed as distinct values, but this
> can now be changed by creating constraints and indexes using UNIQUE
> NULLS NOT DISTINCT."
> -----

Agreed, that was an unintended omission. I've added an entry for this.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
Morris de Oryx
Дата:
It would be helpful to mention BEGIN ATOMIC at or near the Procedural Languages section. Definitely my favorite server-side code change in PG 14:

* Parse tree instead of raw text for errors-on-save rather than errors-on-run.
* Dependency tracking!

I only stumbled across the feature recently, doesn't seem to have been given a lot of fanfare.

Re: Feature matrix updates

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 7/25/22 6:23 PM, Morris de Oryx wrote:
> It would be helpful to mention BEGIN ATOMIC at or near the Procedural
> Languages section. Definitely my favorite server-side code change in PG 14:
>
> * Parse tree instead of raw text for errors-on-save rather than
> errors-on-run.
> * Dependency tracking!
>
> I only stumbled across the feature recently, doesn't seem to have been
> given a lot of fanfare.

*kicks self* I definitely missed that (or did not parse it carefully
enough) at the time of the PostgreSQL 14 release. That is definitely an
awesome feature.

I've added it to the feature matrix:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix/detail/393/

Thanks,