Обсуждение: refactor some protocol message sending in walsender and basebackup

refactor some protocol message sending in walsender and basebackup

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Some places in walsender.c and basebackup_copy.c open-code the sending
of RowDescription and DataRow protocol messages.  But there are already
more compact and robust solutions available for this, using
DestRemoteSimple and associated machinery, already in use in walsender.c.

The attached patches 0001 and 0002 are tiny bug fixes I found during this.

Patches 0003 and 0004 are the main refactorings.  They should probably
be combined into one patch eventually, but this way the treatment of
RowDescription and DataRow is presented separately.
Вложения

Re: refactor some protocol message sending in walsender and basebackup

От
Nathan Bossart
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 04:36:36PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Some places in walsender.c and basebackup_copy.c open-code the sending of
> RowDescription and DataRow protocol messages.  But there are already more
> compact and robust solutions available for this, using DestRemoteSimple and
> associated machinery, already in use in walsender.c.
>
> The attached patches 0001 and 0002 are tiny bug fixes I found during this.
>
> Patches 0003 and 0004 are the main refactorings.  They should probably be
> combined into one patch eventually, but this way the treatment of
> RowDescription and DataRow is presented separately.

All 4 patches look reasonable to me.

--
Nathan Bossart

Re: refactor some protocol message sending in walsender and basebackup

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 01.07.22 23:36, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 04:36:36PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Some places in walsender.c and basebackup_copy.c open-code the sending of
>> RowDescription and DataRow protocol messages.  But there are already more
>> compact and robust solutions available for this, using DestRemoteSimple and
>> associated machinery, already in use in walsender.c.
>>
>> The attached patches 0001 and 0002 are tiny bug fixes I found during this.
>>
>> Patches 0003 and 0004 are the main refactorings.  They should probably be
>> combined into one patch eventually, but this way the treatment of
>> RowDescription and DataRow is presented separately.
>
> All 4 patches look reasonable to me.

All committed now, thanks.

(I cleaned up the 0004 patch a bit more; there was some junk left in the
posted patch.)