Обсуждение: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Alastair McKinley
Дата:
Hi all,

I notice this change in behaviour with psql in 15beta1 when testing an existing codebase.

I didn't see any mention of this change in the release notes and it surprised me.

Using this test function:

    create or replace function test_notice() returns void as
    $$
    begin
        raise notice 'hello';
        perform pg_sleep(10);
    end; $$ language plpgsql;

In psql 15beta1, the "hello" message only appears on the console when the transaction completes.

in psql 14.3, it appears immediately as I would have expected.

Is there a way to change psql behaviour to display notices immediately as in versions < 15?

Best regards,

Alastair

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 5/29/22 13:11, Alastair McKinley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I notice this change in behaviour with psql in 15beta1 when testing an existing codebase.
>
> I didn't see any mention of this change in the release notes and it surprised me.
>
> Using this test function:
>
>      create or replace function test_notice() returns void as
>      $$
>      begin
>          raise notice 'hello';
>          perform pg_sleep(10);
>      end; $$ language plpgsql;
>
> In psql 15beta1, the "hello" message only appears on the console when the transaction completes.

I am not seeing that.

Can you provide more information about how you are running test_notice()?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Alastair McKinley

Hi Adrian,

I am running the function "select test_notice();" from the psql console with psql/server versions 15beta1.

In psql 15beta1, the notice appears only after the function returns/transaction completes.

If I execute the same function from psql 14.3 and server 15beta1, the notice appears on the psql console immediately as expected, before the pg_sleep() completes.

It's reproducible for me, I just double checked it.

I think Tom was able to reproduce this by the sounds of his response?

Best regards,

Alastair

> > in psql 14.3, it appears immediately as I would have expected.
> >
> > Is there a way to change psql behaviour to display notices immediately as in versions < 15?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Alastair
> >

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 5/29/22 13:47, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 5/29/22 13:11, Alastair McKinley wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> In psql 15beta1, the "hello" message only appears on the console when
>> the transaction completes.
>
> I am not seeing that.

I take that back, I was using psql 14.3 to connect to the 15 instance.
When I changed to psql 15 I saw the same thing.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On 5/29/22 13:59, Alastair McKinley wrote:
>  >

Yeah, I see the same thing  after using the new psql.

> I think Tom was able to reproduce this by the sounds of his response?

I have not received that post yet. I do see it in the archives. I had
already tried:

\set SHOW_ALL_RESULTS off

which is supposed to restore to previous behavior, but it did not lead
to the 14.3 result.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

Дата:
> On 5/29/22 13:59, Alastair McKinley wrote:
>> I think Tom was able to reproduce this by the sounds of his response?

> I have not received that post yet. I do see it in the archives.

I re-addressed it to pgsql-bugs, maybe you are not subscribed to that?

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 5/29/22 15:03, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 5/29/22 13:59, Alastair McKinley wrote:
>>> I think Tom was able to reproduce this by the sounds of his response?
>
>> I have not received that post yet. I do see it in the archives.
>
> I re-addressed it to pgsql-bugs, maybe you are not subscribed to that?

I am not, still I see it here:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-general/since/202205290000/

And when I click on the message:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3662994.1653856025%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Lists:     pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

I will admit that the mailing list software is a mystery to me, so it is
entirely possible I am misreading the above.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

От
Rob Sargent
Дата:
On 5/29/22 18:00, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 5/29/22 15:03, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have not received that post yet. I do see it in the archives.
>>
>> I re-addressed it to pgsql-bugs, maybe you are not subscribed to that?
>
> I am not, still I see it here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-general/since/202205290000/
>
> And when I click on the message:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3662994.1653856025%40sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> Lists:     pgsql-bugs pgsql-general
>
> I will admit that the mailing list software is a mystery to me, so it
> is entirely possible I am misreading the above.

FWIW, I didn't see Tom's first (bugs) post either.  Nor am I subscribed
to bugs