Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

Please review this announcement for feature description accuracy or if
there is something omitted that should be highlighted. Note that we
cannot highlight everything that is coming in PostgreSQL 15 (that is why
we have the release notes), but are aiming to showcase features that are
impactful and inspirational.

Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 02:52:35PM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> PostgreSQL 15 is made generally available, thouh some details of the release can

though

> a SQL standard command for conditionally perform write operations (`INSERT`,

performing

> he [`range_agg`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-aggregate.html)

The

> PostgreSQL system and [TOAST](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/storage-toast.html)
> tables, used for storing data that is larger than a single page (8kB), can now
> utilize
> [index deduplication](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/btree-implementation.html#BTREE-DEDUPLICATION)
> and benefit from smaller indexes and faster lookups.

IMO this doesn't need to be listed.

> `pg_basebackup` client can now also decompress backups that use LZ4 an Zstandard

and

> Write-ahead log (WAL) files can now be compressed using both LZ4 an Zstandard

and

> configuration parameter. Additionally, PostgreSQL 15 also adds the
> [`recovery_prefetch`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)

remove "the" or add "option" ?

> PostgreSQL 15 makes it possible to skip applying changes using the
> [`ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-altersubscription.html).

add "command".

> PostgreSQL 15 introduces the
> [`jsonlog` format for
logging](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-JSONLOG).This allows
PostgreSQLlogs to be consumed by many programs

> that perform structured logging aggregation and analysis. PostgreSQL 15 now by

log aggregation?

> default logs checkpoints and slow autovacuum operations.

> PostgreSQL 15 adds support for
> "[security invoker views](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-createview.html)",
> which users the privileges of the user executing the query instead of the user

uses

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:22 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].
>

> [`recovery_prefetch`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)
> that can help speed up all recovery operations by prefetching data blocks.

Is it okay to say that this feature speeds up *all* recovery
operations? See the discussion between Simon and Tomas [1] related to
this.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3f4d65c8-ad61-9f57-d5ad-6c1ea841e471%40enterprisedb.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/15/22 10:58 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:22 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>
>> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].
>>

>> [`recovery_prefetch`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)
>> that can help speed up all recovery operations by prefetching data blocks.
>
> Is it okay to say that this feature speeds up *all* recovery
> operations? See the discussion between Simon and Tomas [1] related to
> this.

I'll <strike>all</strike> to hedge.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As per usual, I did a `MERGE` based on
the suggestions.

I provided credits in press.git. Here is v2 of the draft.

Please provide any feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
functions](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-matching.html#FUNCTIONS-POSIX-REGEXP),
> including `regexp_count` , `regexp_instr`, `regexp_like`, and `regexp_substr`.
> the [`range_agg`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-aggregate.html)
> function, introduced in PostgreSQL 15 for aggregating

Capital The

> the `work_mem` parameter. Early benchmarks show that these sorts may see on
> average an 2x speedup for these workloads on PostgreSQL 15.

Maybe remove "for these workloads".

> Write-ahead log (WAL) files can now be compressed using both LZ4 and Zstandard

Now that I re-read it, I suppose this should say "either .. or" ...

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 1:50 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 5/15/22 10:58 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 12:22 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> >> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].
> >
> >> [`recovery_prefetch`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)
> >> that can help speed up all recovery operations by prefetching data blocks.
> >
> > Is it okay to say that this feature speeds up *all* recovery
> > operations? See the discussion between Simon and Tomas [1] related to
> > this.
>
> I'll <strike>all</strike> to hedge.

+1, thanks.

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

I have some belated feedback.  I was excited to try this on Windows (I don't have a build system for that) and so followed the first link in the message, to https://www.postgresql.org/download/.  At first glance there is nothing about beta there, but there is a prominent Windows icon so I click on that.  And then to EDB, but there is no apparent way to download beta, just the released versions.  I poked around EDB a bit but didn't find anything promising, then backed out of all that poking around and eventually all the way back to /download, where I scrolled down and finally found the link to https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/ which tells me what I need to know.  But at this point I was more annoyed than excited.

An invitation to download the beta should take me directly to the page relevant to doing that.  I shouldn't have to read the page backwards, or do a breadth-first traversal, to get to the right place efficiently.  People will click on the first link which seems relevant, and "Windows" on the generic download page certainly seems relevant to Beta for Windows, until after you have scrolled down to find the beta/RC specific link instead.  (I now recall being annoyed by this in a prior year as well, I guess I have a bad memory for avoiding mistakes but a good memory for recalling them).  Also, the download page should probably say "binary packages and installers" where it currently says  "There are source code and binary packages of beta and release candidates", although I guess that is not about the announcement itself.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 5/24/22 12:57 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 2:52 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org
> <mailto:jkatz@postgresql.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
>     Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
>     around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
>     encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
>     heavily on people testing during the Beta period!
>

> I have some belated feedback.  I was excited to try this on Windows (I
> don't have a build system for that) and so followed the first link in
> the message, to https://www.postgresql.org/download/
> <https://www.postgresql.org/download/>.  At first glance there is
> nothing about beta there, but there is a prominent Windows icon so I
> click on that.  And then to EDB, but there is no apparent way to
> download beta, just the released versions.  I poked around EDB a bit but
> didn't find anything promising, then backed out of all that poking
> around and eventually all the way back to /download, where I scrolled
> down and finally found the link to
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/
> <https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/> which tells me what I
> need to know.  But at this point I was more annoyed than excited.
>
> An invitation to download the beta should take me directly to the page
> relevant to doing that.  I shouldn't have to read the page backwards, or
> do a breadth-first traversal, to get to the right place efficiently.
> People will click on the first link which seems relevant, and "Windows"
> on the generic download page certainly seems relevant to Beta for
> Windows, until after you have scrolled down to find the beta/RC specific
> link instead.  (I now recall being annoyed by this in a prior year as
> well, I guess I have a bad memory for avoiding mistakes but a
> good memory for recalling them).  Also, the download page should
> probably say "binary packages and installers" where it currently
> says  "There are source code and binary packages of beta and release
> candidates", although I guess that is not about the announcement itself.
> Cheers,

Some of the community installers are outside the platform (e.g.
Windows/Mac) and the timing of the releases of this around the beta
cannot be fully accounted for in the announcement.

However, I can relay your feedback to the packagers of these installers,
and I suggest you do the same.

With regards to the additional feedback, we recently did some measured
experiments around changes to the flow of the download page that, first
and foremost, brought people to their desired installers for stable
versions. The results from those experiments showed an appropriate
uptick on all accounts (which should be in a thread on -www).

We could perhaps tidy up the downloads page to make downloading
Betas/RCs more clear, but that's a discussion for -www.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> However, I can relay your feedback to the packagers of these installers,
> and I suggest you do the same.

Isn't the issue that https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
doesn't have the link to the right place on the EDB site?

https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/ has a link to
https://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdevdownload
but https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/ does not.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft (windows)

От
Justin Pryzby
Дата:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 12:57:02AM -0400, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I have some belated feedback.  I was excited to try this on Windows (I don't
> have a build system for that)

This is unrelated to beta1, but someone (Thomas Munro?) had the idea to allow
retrieving the windows binaries built by cirrus ci.  This is untested; if you
try it, I'd be interested to know how it works.

https://github.com/justinpryzby/postgres/commit/a014c1ed59b

--
Justin