Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft (windows)  (Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 2:52 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
heavily on people testing during the Beta period!

I have some belated feedback.  I was excited to try this on Windows (I don't have a build system for that) and so followed the first link in the message, to https://www.postgresql.org/download/.  At first glance there is nothing about beta there, but there is a prominent Windows icon so I click on that.  And then to EDB, but there is no apparent way to download beta, just the released versions.  I poked around EDB a bit but didn't find anything promising, then backed out of all that poking around and eventually all the way back to /download, where I scrolled down and finally found the link to https://www.postgresql.org/download/snapshots/ which tells me what I need to know.  But at this point I was more annoyed than excited.

An invitation to download the beta should take me directly to the page relevant to doing that.  I shouldn't have to read the page backwards, or do a breadth-first traversal, to get to the right place efficiently.  People will click on the first link which seems relevant, and "Windows" on the generic download page certainly seems relevant to Beta for Windows, until after you have scrolled down to find the beta/RC specific link instead.  (I now recall being annoyed by this in a prior year as well, I guess I have a bad memory for avoiding mistakes but a good memory for recalling them).  Also, the download page should probably say "binary packages and installers" where it currently says  "There are source code and binary packages of beta and release candidates", although I guess that is not about the announcement itself.

Cheers,

Jeff