Обсуждение: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi,

As I said before [1], I’m working on $SUBJECT.  Attached is a WIP
patch for that.  The patch is pretty simple: if a server option added
by the patch “parallel_commit” is enabled, 1) asynchronously send
COMMIT TRANSACTION (RELEASE SAVEPOINT) to all remote servers involved
in a local (sub)transaction, then 2) wait for the results from the
remote servers in the order that the command was sent to the remote
servers, when called from pgfdw_xact_callback (pgfdw_subxact_callback)
during pre-commit.  The patch also parallelizes clearing prepared
statements the same way during pre-commit.  (The option is false by
default.)

I evaluated the effectiveness of the patch using a simple
multi-statement transaction:

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT s;
INSERT INTO ft1 VALUES (10, 10);
INSERT INTO ft2 VALUES (20, 20);
RELEASE SAVEPOINT s;
COMMIT;

where ft1 and ft2 are foreign tables created on different foreign
servers hosted on different machines.  I ran the transaction five
times using the patch with the option enabled/disabled, and measured
the latencies for the RELEASE and COMMIT commands in each run.  The
average latencies for these commands over the five runs are:

* RELEASE
  parallel_commit=0: 0.385 ms
  parallel_commit=1: 0.221 ms

* COMMIT
  parallel_commit=0: 1.660 ms
  parallel_commit=1: 0.861 ms

With the option enabled, the average latencies for both commands are
reduced significantly!

I think we could extend this to abort cleanup of remote
(sub)transactions during post-abort.  Anyway, I think this is useful,
so I’ll add this to the upcoming commitfest.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPmGK177E6HPcCQB4-s%2Bm9AcCZDHCC2drZy%2BFKnnvEXw9kXoXQ%40mail.gmail.com

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Fujii Masao

On 2021/10/31 18:05, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I said before [1], I’m working on $SUBJECT.  Attached is a WIP
> patch for that.

Thanks for the patch!

> The patch is pretty simple: if a server option added
> by the patch “parallel_commit” is enabled,

Could you tell me why the parameter is necessary?
Can't we always enable the feature?

> * RELEASE
>    parallel_commit=0: 0.385 ms
>    parallel_commit=1: 0.221 ms
>
> * COMMIT
>    parallel_commit=0: 1.660 ms
>    parallel_commit=1: 0.861 ms
>
> With the option enabled, the average latencies for both commands are
> reduced significantly!

Sounds great!

> I think we could extend this to abort cleanup of remote
> (sub)transactions during post-abort.  Anyway, I think this is useful,
> so I’ll add this to the upcoming commitfest.

Thanks!

+    /* Consume whatever data is available from the socket */
+    if (!PQconsumeInput(conn))
+        pgfdw_report_error(ERROR, NULL, conn, false, sql);

Without the patch, PQconsumeInput() is not called before pgfdw_get_result()
But could you tell me why you added PQconsumeInput() there?

When ignore_errors argument is true, the error reported by
PQconsumeInput() should be ignored?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang
Дата:
> I evaluated the effectiveness of the patch using a simple
> multi-statement transaction:
>
> BEGIN;
> SAVEPOINT s;
> INSERT INTO ft1 VALUES (10, 10);
> INSERT INTO ft2 VALUES (20, 20);
> RELEASE SAVEPOINT s;
> COMMIT;
>
> where ft1 and ft2 are foreign tables created on different foreign
> servers hosted on different machines.  I ran the transaction five
> times using the patch with the option enabled/disabled, and measured
> the latencies for the RELEASE and COMMIT commands in each run.  The
> average latencies for these commands over the five runs are:
>
> * RELEASE
>    parallel_commit=0: 0.385 ms
>    parallel_commit=1: 0.221 ms
>
> * COMMIT
>    parallel_commit=0: 1.660 ms
>    parallel_commit=1: 0.861 ms
>
> With the option enabled, the average latencies for both commands are
> reduced significantly!
Followed your instructions, I performed some basic tests to compare the
performance between before and after. In my testing environment (two
foreign servers on the same local machine), the performance varies,
sometimes the time spent on RELEASE and COMMIT without patch are close
to after patched, but seems it always perform better after patched. Then
I ran a 1-millions tuples insert, 5 times average is something like below,

Before
     RELEASE 0.171 ms, COMMIT 1.861 ms

After
     RELEASE 0.147 ms, COMMIT 1.305 ms

Best regards,
--
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)
www.highgo.ca

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> On 2021/10/31 18:05, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > The patch is pretty simple: if a server option added
> > by the patch “parallel_commit” is enabled,
>
> Could you tell me why the parameter is necessary?
> Can't we always enable the feature?

I don’t think parallel commit would cause performance degradation,
even in the case when there is just a single remote (sub)transaction
to commit when called from pgfdw_xact_callback
(pgfdw_subxact_callback), so I think it might be OK to enable it by
default.  But my concern about doing so is the remote side: during
those functions, if there are a lot of (sub)transactions on a single
remote server that need to be committed, parallel commit would
increase the remote server’s load at (sub)transaction end than serial
commit, which is the existing implementation, as the requests to
commit those (sub)transactions are sent to the remote server at the
same time; which some users might want to avoid.

> > I think we could extend this to abort cleanup of remote
> > (sub)transactions during post-abort.  Anyway, I think this is useful,
> > so I’ll add this to the upcoming commitfest.
>
> Thanks!

I'll update the patch as such in the next version.

> +       /* Consume whatever data is available from the socket */
> +       if (!PQconsumeInput(conn))
> +               pgfdw_report_error(ERROR, NULL, conn, false, sql);
>
> Without the patch, PQconsumeInput() is not called before pgfdw_get_result()
> But could you tell me why you added PQconsumeInput() there?

The reason is that there might be the result already before calling
pgfdw_get_result(), in which case PQconsumeInput() followed by
PQisBusy() would allow us to call PQgetResult() without doing
WaitLatchOrSocket(), which I think is rather expensive.

> When ignore_errors argument is true, the error reported by
> PQconsumeInput() should be ignored?

I’m not sure about that, because the error might be caused by e.g.,
OOM in the local server, in which case I don’t think it is safe to
ignore it and continue the (sub)transaction-end processing.

Thanks for reviewing!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 7:47 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> Followed your instructions, I performed some basic tests to compare the
> performance between before and after. In my testing environment (two
> foreign servers on the same local machine), the performance varies,
> sometimes the time spent on RELEASE and COMMIT without patch are close
> to after patched, but seems it always perform better after patched. Then
> I ran a 1-millions tuples insert, 5 times average is something like below,
>
> Before
>      RELEASE 0.171 ms, COMMIT 1.861 ms
>
> After
>      RELEASE 0.147 ms, COMMIT 1.305 ms

Good to know!  Thanks for testing!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

On 2021/11/07 18:06, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>> On 2021/10/31 18:05, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>>> The patch is pretty simple: if a server option added
>>> by the patch “parallel_commit” is enabled,
>>
>> Could you tell me why the parameter is necessary?
>> Can't we always enable the feature?
>
> I don’t think parallel commit would cause performance degradation,
> even in the case when there is just a single remote (sub)transaction
> to commit when called from pgfdw_xact_callback
> (pgfdw_subxact_callback), so I think it might be OK to enable it by
> default.  But my concern about doing so is the remote side: during
> those functions, if there are a lot of (sub)transactions on a single
> remote server that need to be committed, parallel commit would
> increase the remote server’s load at (sub)transaction end than serial
> commit, which is the existing implementation, as the requests to
> commit those (sub)transactions are sent to the remote server at the
> same time; which some users might want to avoid.

Thanks for explaining this! But probably I failed to get your point.
Sorry... Whichever parallel or serial commit approach, the number of
transactions to commit on the remote server is the same, isn't it?
For example, please imagine the case where a client requests
ten transactions per second to the local server. Each transaction
accesses to the foreign table, so which means that ten transaction
commit operations per second are requested to the remote server.
Unless I'm missing something, this number doesn't change whether
the foreign transaction is committed in parallel way or not.
Thought?

>>> I think we could extend this to abort cleanup of remote
>>> (sub)transactions during post-abort.  Anyway, I think this is useful,
>>> so I’ll add this to the upcoming commitfest.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I'll update the patch as such in the next version.

IMO it's better to implement and commit these features gradually
if possible. Which would simplify the patch and make it
easier-to-review. So I think that it's better to implement
this feature as a separate patch.

>> +       /* Consume whatever data is available from the socket */
>> +       if (!PQconsumeInput(conn))
>> +               pgfdw_report_error(ERROR, NULL, conn, false, sql);
>>
>> Without the patch, PQconsumeInput() is not called before pgfdw_get_result()
>> But could you tell me why you added PQconsumeInput() there?
>
> The reason is that there might be the result already before calling
> pgfdw_get_result(), in which case PQconsumeInput() followed by
> PQisBusy() would allow us to call PQgetResult() without doing
> WaitLatchOrSocket(), which I think is rather expensive.

Understood. It's helpful to add the comment about why PQconsumeInput()
is called there.

Also could you tell me how much expensive it is?

>> When ignore_errors argument is true, the error reported by
>> PQconsumeInput() should be ignored?
>
> I’m not sure about that, because the error might be caused by e.g.,
> OOM in the local server, in which case I don’t think it is safe to
> ignore it and continue the (sub)transaction-end processing.

But the existing code ignores the error at all, doesn't it?
If it's unsafe to do that, probably we should fix that at first?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

RE: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
"kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com"
Дата:
Dear Fujita-san,

I love your proposal because it will remove a bottleneck
for PostgreSQL build-in sharding.

I read your patch briefly and I think basically it's good.
Currently I have only one comment.

In your patch, postgres_fdw sends a COMMIT command to all entries in the hash table
and waits for the result without a timeout from the first entry.
I think this specification is good because it's very simple,
but if a COMMIT for a particular foreign server could take some time,
I thought it might be more efficient to stop waiting for results and look at the next entry.
This is how it works. First, we define a function similar to pgfdw_get_result()
so that we can specify the timeout time as an argument to WaitLatchOrSocket().
Then change the function called by do_sql_command_end () to the new one,
and change the callback function to skip if the result has not yet arrived

How is it? Is it an unnecessary assumption that COMMIT takes time? Or is this the next step?
I will put a PoC if needed.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 1:13 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> On 2021/11/07 18:06, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 3:22 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> >> Could you tell me why the parameter is necessary?
> >> Can't we always enable the feature?

> > I think it might be OK to enable it by
> > default.  But my concern about doing so is the remote side: during
> > those functions, if there are a lot of (sub)transactions on a single
> > remote server that need to be committed, parallel commit would
> > increase the remote server’s load at (sub)transaction end than serial
> > commit, which is the existing implementation, as the requests to
> > commit those (sub)transactions are sent to the remote server at the
> > same time; which some users might want to avoid.
>
> Thanks for explaining this! But probably I failed to get your point.
> Sorry... Whichever parallel or serial commit approach, the number of
> transactions to commit on the remote server is the same, isn't it?
> For example, please imagine the case where a client requests
> ten transactions per second to the local server. Each transaction
> accesses to the foreign table, so which means that ten transaction
> commit operations per second are requested to the remote server.
> Unless I'm missing something, this number doesn't change whether
> the foreign transaction is committed in parallel way or not.

Sorry, my explanation was not enough, but I don’t think this is always
true.  Let me explain using an example:

create server loopback foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw options
(dbname 'postgres', parallel_commit 'true');
create user mapping for current_user server loopback;
create table t1 (a int, b int);
create table t2 (a int, b int);
create foreign table ft1 (a int, b int) server loopback options
(table_name 't1');
create foreign table ft2 (a int, b int) server loopback options
(table_name 't2');
create role view_owner superuser;
create user mapping for view_owner server loopback;
grant SELECT on ft1 to view_owner;
create view v1 as select * from ft1;
alter view v1 owner to view_owner;

begin;
insert into v1 values (10, 10);
insert into ft2 values (20, 20);
commit;

For this transaction, since the first insert is executed as the view
owner while the second insert is executed as the current user, we
create a connection to the foreign server for each of the users to
execute the inserts.  This leads to sending two commit commands to the
foreign server at the same time during pre-commit.

To avoid spike loads on a remote server induced by such a workload, I
think it’s a good idea to have a server option to control whether this
is enabled, but I might be too worried about that, so I want to hear
the opinions of people.

> IMO it's better to implement and commit these features gradually
> if possible. Which would simplify the patch and make it
> easier-to-review. So I think that it's better to implement
> this feature as a separate patch.

Ok, I'll create a patch for abort cleanup separately.

> >> +       /* Consume whatever data is available from the socket */
> >> +       if (!PQconsumeInput(conn))
> >> +               pgfdw_report_error(ERROR, NULL, conn, false, sql);
> >>
> >> Without the patch, PQconsumeInput() is not called before pgfdw_get_result()
> >> But could you tell me why you added PQconsumeInput() there?
> >
> > The reason is that there might be the result already before calling
> > pgfdw_get_result(), in which case PQconsumeInput() followed by
> > PQisBusy() would allow us to call PQgetResult() without doing
> > WaitLatchOrSocket(), which I think is rather expensive.
>
> Understood. It's helpful to add the comment about why PQconsumeInput()
> is called there.

Ok.

> Also could you tell me how much expensive it is?

IIUC I think the overheads of WaitLatchOrSocket() incurred by a series
of epoll system calls are much larger compared to the overheads of
PQconsumeInput() incurred by a recv system call in non-blocking mode
when no data is available.  I didn’t do testing, though.

Actually, we already use this optimization in libpqrcv_receive() for
the caller of that function to avoid doing WaitLatchOrSocket()?

> >> When ignore_errors argument is true, the error reported by
> >> PQconsumeInput() should be ignored?
> >
> > I’m not sure about that, because the error might be caused by e.g.,
> > OOM in the local server, in which case I don’t think it is safe to
> > ignore it and continue the (sub)transaction-end processing.
>
> But the existing code ignores the error at all, doesn't it?
> If it's unsafe to do that, probably we should fix that at first?

I changed my mind; I’ll update the patch to ignore the error as
before, because 1) as far as I know, there are no reports from the
field concerning that we ignore all kinds of errors in cleaning up the
prepared statements, so maybe we don’t need to change that, and 2) we
already committed at least one of the remote transactions, so it’s not
good to abort the local transaction unless we really have to.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Kuroda-san,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 11:27 AM kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> I love your proposal because it will remove a bottleneck
> for PostgreSQL build-in sharding.
>
> I read your patch briefly and I think basically it's good.

Great!  Thanks for reviewing!

> Currently I have only one comment.
>
> In your patch, postgres_fdw sends a COMMIT command to all entries in the hash table
> and waits for the result without a timeout from the first entry.
> I think this specification is good because it's very simple,
> but if a COMMIT for a particular foreign server could take some time,
> I thought it might be more efficient to stop waiting for results and look at the next entry.
> This is how it works. First, we define a function similar to pgfdw_get_result()
> so that we can specify the timeout time as an argument to WaitLatchOrSocket().
> Then change the function called by do_sql_command_end () to the new one,
> and change the callback function to skip if the result has not yet arrived
>
> How is it? Is it an unnecessary assumption that COMMIT takes time? Or is this the next step?
> I will put a PoC if needed.

Hmm, I'm not sure the cost-effectiveness of this optimization is
really high, because if the timeout expired, it means that something
unusual would have happened, and that it would take a long time for
the COMMIT command to complete (or abort at worst).  So even if we
processed the rest of the entries while waiting for the command
result, we cannot reduce the total time very much.  Maybe I'm missing
something, though.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

On 2021/11/16 18:55, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Sorry, my explanation was not enough, but I don’t think this is always
> true.  Let me explain using an example:
>
> create server loopback foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw options
> (dbname 'postgres', parallel_commit 'true');
> create user mapping for current_user server loopback;
> create table t1 (a int, b int);
> create table t2 (a int, b int);
> create foreign table ft1 (a int, b int) server loopback options
> (table_name 't1');
> create foreign table ft2 (a int, b int) server loopback options
> (table_name 't2');
> create role view_owner superuser;
> create user mapping for view_owner server loopback;
> grant SELECT on ft1 to view_owner;
> create view v1 as select * from ft1;
> alter view v1 owner to view_owner;
>
> begin;
> insert into v1 values (10, 10);
> insert into ft2 values (20, 20);
> commit;
>
> For this transaction, since the first insert is executed as the view
> owner while the second insert is executed as the current user, we
> create a connection to the foreign server for each of the users to
> execute the inserts.  This leads to sending two commit commands to the
> foreign server at the same time during pre-commit.
>
> To avoid spike loads on a remote server induced by such a workload, I
> think it’s a good idea to have a server option to control whether this
> is enabled,

I understand your point. But even if the option is disabled (i.e.,
commit command is sent to each foreign server in serial way),
multiple queries still can run on the server concurrently and
which may cause performance "spike". Other clients may open several
sessions to the server and issue queries at the same time. Other
sessions using postgres_fdw may send commit command at the same time.
If we want to avoid that "spike", probably we need to decrease
max_connections or use connection pooling, etc. So ISTM that it's
half-baked and not enough to provide the option that controls
whether postgres_fdw issues commit command in parallel or serial way.

> but I might be too worried about that, so I want to hear
> the opinions of people.

Yes.

> IIUC I think the overheads of WaitLatchOrSocket() incurred by a series
> of epoll system calls are much larger compared to the overheads of
> PQconsumeInput() incurred by a recv system call in non-blocking mode
> when no data is available.  I didn’t do testing, though.

Understood.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> On 2021/11/16 18:55, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > Sorry, my explanation was not enough, but I don’t think this is always
> > true.  Let me explain using an example:
> >
> > create server loopback foreign data wrapper postgres_fdw options
> > (dbname 'postgres', parallel_commit 'true');
> > create user mapping for current_user server loopback;
> > create table t1 (a int, b int);
> > create table t2 (a int, b int);
> > create foreign table ft1 (a int, b int) server loopback options
> > (table_name 't1');
> > create foreign table ft2 (a int, b int) server loopback options
> > (table_name 't2');
> > create role view_owner superuser;
> > create user mapping for view_owner server loopback;
> > grant SELECT on ft1 to view_owner;
> > create view v1 as select * from ft1;
> > alter view v1 owner to view_owner;
> >
> > begin;
> > insert into v1 values (10, 10);
> > insert into ft2 values (20, 20);
> > commit;
> >
> > For this transaction, since the first insert is executed as the view
> > owner while the second insert is executed as the current user, we
> > create a connection to the foreign server for each of the users to
> > execute the inserts.  This leads to sending two commit commands to the
> > foreign server at the same time during pre-commit.
> >
> > To avoid spike loads on a remote server induced by such a workload, I
> > think it’s a good idea to have a server option to control whether this
> > is enabled,
>
> I understand your point. But even if the option is disabled (i.e.,
> commit command is sent to each foreign server in serial way),
> multiple queries still can run on the server concurrently and
> which may cause performance "spike". Other clients may open several
> sessions to the server and issue queries at the same time. Other
> sessions using postgres_fdw may send commit command at the same time.
> If we want to avoid that "spike", probably we need to decrease
> max_connections or use connection pooling, etc.

I think that what you are discussing here would be a related but
different issue, because the patch doesn't increase the number of
connections to the remote server that are needed for processing a
single transaction than before.

My concern about the patch is that in parallel-commit mode,
transactions like the above example might increase the remote server's
load at transaction end than before, while using the same number of
connections to the remote server as before, because multiple COMMIT
commands are sent to the remote server at the same time, not
sequentially as before.  The option could be used to avoid such a
spike load without changing any settings on the remote server if
necessary.  Also, the option could be added at no extra cost, so there
seems to me to be no reason to remove it.

Anyway, I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Fujii Masao

On 2021/11/16 18:55, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> I changed my mind; I’ll update the patch to ignore the error as
> before, because 1) as far as I know, there are no reports from the
> field concerning that we ignore all kinds of errors in cleaning up the
> prepared statements, so maybe we don’t need to change that, and 2) we
> already committed at least one of the remote transactions, so it’s not
> good to abort the local transaction unless we really have to.

Are you planning to update the patch? In addition to this change,
at least documentation about new parallel_commit parameter needs
to be included in the patch.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 6:07 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> On 2021/11/16 18:55, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > I changed my mind; I’ll update the patch to ignore the error as
> > before, because 1) as far as I know, there are no reports from the
> > field concerning that we ignore all kinds of errors in cleaning up the
> > prepared statements, so maybe we don’t need to change that, and 2) we
> > already committed at least one of the remote transactions, so it’s not
> > good to abort the local transaction unless we really have to.

Done.

> Are you planning to update the patch? In addition to this change,
> at least documentation about new parallel_commit parameter needs
> to be included in the patch.

Done.  Attached is a new version.

* 0001
This is an updated version of the previous patch.  In addition to the
above, I expanded a comment in do_sql_command_end() a bit to explain
why we do PQconsumeInput() before doing pgfdw_get_result(), to address
your comment.  Also, I moved the code to finish closing pending
(sub)transactions in pgfdw_xact_callback()(pgfdw_subxact_callback())
into separate functions.  Also, I modified regression test cases a bit
to access multiple foreign servers.

* 0002
This is a WIP patch for parallel abort.  I added an option
parallel_abort for this, because I thought it would be good to
enable/disable these separately.  I didn’t do any performance tests
yet.

Sorry for the long delay.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

On 2022/01/06 17:29, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 6:07 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>> On 2021/11/16 18:55, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>>> I changed my mind; I’ll update the patch to ignore the error as
>>> before, because 1) as far as I know, there are no reports from the
>>> field concerning that we ignore all kinds of errors in cleaning up the
>>> prepared statements, so maybe we don’t need to change that, and 2) we
>>> already committed at least one of the remote transactions, so it’s not
>>> good to abort the local transaction unless we really have to.
>
> Done.
>
>> Are you planning to update the patch? In addition to this change,
>> at least documentation about new parallel_commit parameter needs
>> to be included in the patch.
>
> Done.  Attached is a new version.
>
> * 0001
> This is an updated version of the previous patch.  In addition to the
> above, I expanded a comment in do_sql_command_end() a bit to explain
> why we do PQconsumeInput() before doing pgfdw_get_result(), to address
> your comment.  Also, I moved the code to finish closing pending
> (sub)transactions in pgfdw_xact_callback()(pgfdw_subxact_callback())
> into separate functions.  Also, I modified regression test cases a bit
> to access multiple foreign servers.

Thanks for updating the patch!

At first I'm reading the 0001 patch. Here are the comments for the patch.

0001 patch failed to be applied. Could you rebase the patch?

+            entry->changing_xact_state = true;
+            do_sql_command_begin(entry->conn, "DEALLOCATE ALL");
+            pending_deallocs = lappend(pending_deallocs, entry);

Originally entry->changing_xact_state is not set to true when executing DEALLOCATE ALL. But the patch do that. Why do
weneed this change?

The source comment explains that we intentionally ignore errors in the DEALLOCATE. But the patch changes DEALLOCATE ALL
sothat it's executed via do_sql_command_begin() that can cause an error. Is this OK?

+        if (ignore_errors)
+            pgfdw_report_error(WARNING, res, conn, true, sql);

When DEALLOCATE fails, originally even warning message is not logged. But the patch changes DEALLOCATE so that its
resultis received via do_sql_command_end() that can log warning message even when ignore_errors argument is enabled.
Whydo we need to change the behavior?

+      <para>
+       This option controls whether <filename>postgres_fdw</filename> commits
+       multiple remote (sub)transactions opened in a local (sub)transaction
+       in parallel when the local (sub)transaction commits.

Since parallel_commit is an option for foreign server, how the server with this option enabled is handled by
postgres_fdwshould be documented, instead?

+   <para>
+    Note that if many remote (sub)transactions are opened on a remote server
+    in a local (sub)transaction, this option might increase the remote
+    server’s load significantly when those remote (sub)transactions are
+    committed.  So be careful when using this option.
+   </para>

This paragraph should be inside the listitem for parallel_commit, shouldn't it?

async_capable=true also may cause the similar issue? If so, this kind of note should be documented also in
async_capable?

This explains that the remote server's load will be increased *significantly*. But "significantly" part is really true?
I'dlike to know how much parallel_commit=true actually can increase the load in a remote server.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 05:29:23PM +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:

> Done.  Attached is a new version.

The patchset doesn't apply anymore:
http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_36_3392.log
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID 43c2175121c829c8591fc5117b725f1f22bfb670 ===
=== applying patch ./v2-0001-postgres-fdw-Add-support-for-parallel-commit.patch
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/connection.c
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out
Hunk #2 FAILED at 10825.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out.rej
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/option.c
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql
Hunk #1 FAILED at 3452.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql.rej
patching file doc/src/sgml/postgres-fdw.sgml

I also see that Fuji-san raised some questions, so for now I will simply change
the patch status to Waiting on Author.

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:54 AM Fujii Masao
<masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> At first I'm reading the 0001 patch. Here are the comments for the patch.

Thanks for reviewing!

> 0001 patch failed to be applied. Could you rebase the patch?

Done.  Attached is an updated version of the patch set.

> +                       entry->changing_xact_state = true;
> +                       do_sql_command_begin(entry->conn, "DEALLOCATE ALL");
> +                       pending_deallocs = lappend(pending_deallocs, entry);
>
> Originally entry->changing_xact_state is not set to true when executing DEALLOCATE ALL. But the patch do that. Why do
weneed this change?

> The source comment explains that we intentionally ignore errors in the DEALLOCATE. But the patch changes DEALLOCATE
ALLso that it's executed via do_sql_command_begin() that can cause an error. Is this OK?

> +               if (ignore_errors)
> +                       pgfdw_report_error(WARNING, res, conn, true, sql);
>
> When DEALLOCATE fails, originally even warning message is not logged. But the patch changes DEALLOCATE so that its
resultis received via do_sql_command_end() that can log warning message even when ignore_errors argument is enabled.
Whydo we need to change the behavior?

Yeah, we don’t need to change the behavior as discussed before, so I
fixed these.  I worked on the patch after a while, so I forgot about
that.  :-(

> +      <para>
> +       This option controls whether <filename>postgres_fdw</filename> commits
> +       multiple remote (sub)transactions opened in a local (sub)transaction
> +       in parallel when the local (sub)transaction commits.
>
> Since parallel_commit is an option for foreign server, how the server with this option enabled is handled by
postgres_fdwshould be documented, instead?

Agreed.  I rewrote this slightly like the attached.  Does that make sense?

> +   <para>
> +    Note that if many remote (sub)transactions are opened on a remote server
> +    in a local (sub)transaction, this option might increase the remote
> +    server’s load significantly when those remote (sub)transactions are
> +    committed.  So be careful when using this option.
> +   </para>
>
> This paragraph should be inside the listitem for parallel_commit, shouldn't it?

I put this note outside, because it’s rewritten to a note about both
the parallel_commit and parallel_abort options in the following patch.
But it would be good to make the parallel-commit patch independent, so
I moved it into the list.

> async_capable=true also may cause the similar issue? If so, this kind of note should be documented also in
async_capable?

That’s right.  I think it would be good to add a similar note about
that, but I’d like to leave that for another patch.

> This explains that the remote server's load will be increased *significantly*. But "significantly" part is really
true?

I think that that would depend on how many transactions are committed
on the remote side at the same time.  But the word “significantly”
might be too strong, so I dropped the word.

> I'd like to know how much parallel_commit=true actually can increase the load in a remote server.

Ok, I’ll do a load test.

About the #0002 patch:
This is in preparation for the parallel-abort patch (#0003), but I’d
like to propose a minor cleanup for commit 85c696112: 1) build an
abort command to be sent to the remote in pgfdw_abort_cleanup(), using
a macro, only when/if necessary, as before, and 2) add/modify comments
a little bit.

Sorry for the delay again.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi Julien,

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 1:07 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 05:29:23PM +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > Done.  Attached is a new version.

> I also see that Fuji-san raised some questions, so for now I will simply change
> the patch status to Waiting on Author.

Thanks for letting me know!

I posted a new version of the patchset which addresses Fujii-san’s
comments.  I changed the status and moved the patchset to the next
commitfest.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

On 2022/02/07 14:35, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>> 0001 patch failed to be applied. Could you rebase the patch?
>
> Done.  Attached is an updated version of the patch set.

Thanks for updating the patch! Here are the review comments for 0001 patch.

I got the following compiler warning.

[16:58:07.120] connection.c: In function ‘pgfdw_finish_pre_commit_cleanup’:
[16:58:07.120] connection.c:1726:4: error: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code
[-Werror=declaration-after-statement]
[16:58:07.120]  1726 |    PGresult   *res;
[16:58:07.120]       |    ^~~~~~~~

+            /* Ignore errors in the DEALLOCATE (see note above) */
+            if ((res = PQgetResult(entry->conn)) != NULL)

Doesn't PQgetResult() need to be called repeatedly until it returns NULL or the connection is lost because there can be
morethan one messages to receive?

+    if (pending_deallocs)
+    {
+        foreach(lc, pending_deallocs)

If pending_deallocs is NIL, we don't enter this foreach loop. So probably "if (pending_deallocs)" seems not necessary.

              entry->keep_connections = defGetBoolean(def);
+        if (strcmp(def->defname, "parallel_commit") == 0)
+            entry->parallel_commit = defGetBoolean(def);

Isn't it better to use "else if" here, instead?

+static void do_sql_command_begin(PGconn *conn, const char *sql);
+static void do_sql_command_end(PGconn *conn, const char *sql);

To simplify the code more, I'm tempted to change do_sql_command() so that it just calls the above two functions,
insteadof calling PQsendQuery() and pgfw_get_result() directly. Thought? If we do this, probably we also need to change
do_sql_command_end()so that it accepts boolean flag which specifies whether PQconsumeInput() is called or not, as
follows.

     do_sql_command_end(PGconn *conn, const char *sql, bool consumeInput)
     {
         /*
    * If any data is expected to be available from the socket, consume it.
    * ...
    * When parallel_commit is enabled, since there can be a time window between
    * sending query and receiving result, we can expect data is already available
    * from the socket. In this case we try to consume it at first.... Otherwise..
    */
         if (consumeInput && !PQconsumeInput(conn))

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:49 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> Here are the review comments for 0001 patch.
>
> I got the following compiler warning.
>
> [16:58:07.120] connection.c: In function ‘pgfdw_finish_pre_commit_cleanup’:
> [16:58:07.120] connection.c:1726:4: error: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code
[-Werror=declaration-after-statement]
> [16:58:07.120]  1726 |    PGresult   *res;
> [16:58:07.120]       |    ^~~~~~~~

Sorry, I didn’t notice this, because my compiler doesn’t produce it.
I tried to fix it.  Attached is an updated version of the patch set.
I hope this works for you.

> +                       /* Ignore errors in the DEALLOCATE (see note above) */
> +                       if ((res = PQgetResult(entry->conn)) != NULL)
>
> Doesn't PQgetResult() need to be called repeatedly until it returns NULL or the connection is lost because there can
bemore than one messages to receive?

Yeah, we would receive a single message here, but PQgetResult must be
called repeatedly until it returns NULL (see the documentation note
about it in libpq.sgml); else the PQtransactionStatus of the
connection would remain PQTRANS_ACTIVE, causing the connection to be
closed at transaction end, because we do this in
pgfdw_reset_xact_state called from pgfdw_xact_callback:

        /*
         * If the connection isn't in a good idle state, it is marked as
         * invalid or keep_connections option of its server is disabled, then
         * discard it to recover. Next GetConnection will open a new
         * connection.
         */
        if (PQstatus(entry->conn) != CONNECTION_OK ||
            PQtransactionStatus(entry->conn) != PQTRANS_IDLE ||
            entry->changing_xact_state ||
            entry->invalidated ||
            !entry->keep_connections)
        {
            elog(DEBUG3, "discarding connection %p", entry->conn);
            disconnect_pg_server(entry);
        }

But I noticed a brown-paper-bag bug in the bit you showed above: the
if test should be modified as a while loop.  :-(  I fixed this in the
attached.

> +       if (pending_deallocs)
> +       {
> +               foreach(lc, pending_deallocs)
>
> If pending_deallocs is NIL, we don't enter this foreach loop. So probably "if (pending_deallocs)" seems not
necessary.

Yeah, I think we could omit the if test, but I added it to match other
places (see e.g., foreign_grouping_ok() in postgres_fdw.c).  It looks
cleaner to me to have it before the loop.

>                         entry->keep_connections = defGetBoolean(def);
> +               if (strcmp(def->defname, "parallel_commit") == 0)
> +                       entry->parallel_commit = defGetBoolean(def);
>
> Isn't it better to use "else if" here, instead?

Yeah, that would be better.  Done.

> +static void do_sql_command_begin(PGconn *conn, const char *sql);
> +static void do_sql_command_end(PGconn *conn, const char *sql);
>
> To simplify the code more, I'm tempted to change do_sql_command() so that it just calls the above two functions,
insteadof calling PQsendQuery() and pgfw_get_result() directly. Thought? If we do this, probably we also need to change
do_sql_command_end()so that it accepts boolean flag which specifies whether PQconsumeInput() is called or not, as
follows.

Done.  Actually, I was planning to do this for consistency with a
similar refactoring for pgfdw_cancel_query and
pgfdw_exec_cleanup_query that had been done
in the parallel-abort patch.

I tweaked comments/docs a little bit as well.

On 2022/02/11 21:59, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> I tweaked comments/docs a little bit as well.

Thanks for updating the patches!

I reviewed 0001 patch. It looks good to me except the following minor things. If these are addressed, I think that the
001patch can be marked as ready for committer.

+     * Also determine to commit (sub)transactions opened on the remote server
+     * in parallel at (sub)transaction end.

Like the comment "Determine whether to keep the connection ...", "determine to commit" should be "determine whether to
commit"?

"remote server" should be "remote servers"?

+    curlevel = GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel();
+    snprintf(sql, sizeof(sql), "RELEASE SAVEPOINT s%d", curlevel);

Why does pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() need to call GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel() and construct the "RELEASE
SAVEPOINT"query string again? pgfdw_subxact_callback() already does them and probably we can make it pass either of
themto pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() as its argument.

+       This option controls whether <filename>postgres_fdw</filename> commits
+       remote (sub)transactions opened on a foreign server in a local
+       (sub)transaction in parallel when the local (sub)transaction commits.

"a foreign server" should be "foreign servers"?

"in a local (sub)transaction" part seems not to be necessary.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang
Дата:
Thanks a lot for updating the patch.

Tried to apply the patches to master branch, no warning found and
regression test passed.

Now, we have many places (5) calling the same function with a constant
number 30000. Is this a good time to consider redefine this number a
macro somewhere?

Thank you,

--
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)
www.highgo.ca

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:46 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> I reviewed 0001 patch. It looks good to me except the following minor things. If these are addressed, I think that
the001 patch can be marked as ready for committer.

OK

> +        * Also determine to commit (sub)transactions opened on the remote server
> +        * in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
>
> Like the comment "Determine whether to keep the connection ...", "determine to commit" should be "determine whether
tocommit"?

Agreed.  I’ll change it as such.

> "remote server" should be "remote servers"?

Maybe I’m missing something, but we determine this for the given
remote server, so it seems to me correct to say “the remote server”,
not “the remote servers“.

> +       curlevel = GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel();
> +       snprintf(sql, sizeof(sql), "RELEASE SAVEPOINT s%d", curlevel);
>
> Why does pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() need to call GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel() and construct the
"RELEASESAVEPOINT" query string again? pgfdw_subxact_callback() already does them and probably we can make it pass
eitherof them to pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() as its argument.

Yeah, that would save cycles, but I think that that makes code a bit
unclean IMO.  (To save cycles, I think we could also modify
pgfdw_subxact_callback() to reuse the query in the while loop in that
function when processing multiple open remote subtransactions there,
but that would make code a bit complicated, so I don’t think it’s a
good idea to do so, either.)  So I’d vote for reconstructing the query
in pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() as we do in
pgfdw_subxact_callback().

To avoid calling GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel() again, I think we
could pass the curlevel variable to that function.

> +       This option controls whether <filename>postgres_fdw</filename> commits
> +       remote (sub)transactions opened on a foreign server in a local
> +       (sub)transaction in parallel when the local (sub)transaction commits.
>
> "a foreign server" should be "foreign servers"?

I thought it would be good to say “a foreign server”, not “foreign
servers”, because it makes clear that even remote transactions opened
on a single foreign server are committed in parallel.  (To say that
this option is not for a specific foreign server, I added to the
documentation “This option can only be specified for foreign
servers”.)

> "in a local (sub)transaction" part seems not to be necessary.

And I thought adding it would make clear which remote transactions are
committed in parallel.  But maybe I’m missing something, so could you
elaborate a bit more on these?

Thanks for reviewing!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 6:55 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> Tried to apply the patches to master branch, no warning found and
> regression test passed.

Thanks for testing!

> Now, we have many places (5) calling the same function with a constant
> number 30000. Is this a good time to consider redefine this number a
> macro somewhere?

Yeah, I think that is a good idea.  I’ll do so in the next version of
the parallel-abort patch (#0003) if no objections.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

On 2022/02/21 14:45, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:46 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>> I reviewed 0001 patch. It looks good to me except the following minor things. If these are addressed, I think that
the001 patch can be marked as ready for committer.

> OK
>
>> +        * Also determine to commit (sub)transactions opened on the remote server
>> +        * in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
>>
>> Like the comment "Determine whether to keep the connection ...", "determine to commit" should be "determine whether
tocommit"?

> Agreed.  I’ll change it as such.

Thanks! If that's updated, IMO it's ok to commit the 0001 patch.
After the commit, I will review 0002 and 0003 patches.

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 1:03 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> On 2022/02/21 14:45, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 1:46 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
> >> I reviewed 0001 patch. It looks good to me except the following minor things. If these are addressed, I think that
the001 patch can be marked as ready for committer.

> >> +        * Also determine to commit (sub)transactions opened on the remote server
> >> +        * in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
> >>
> >> Like the comment "Determine whether to keep the connection ...", "determine to commit" should be "determine
whetherto commit"?

> > Agreed.  I’ll change it as such.

Done.

> Thanks! If that's updated, IMO it's ok to commit the 0001 patch.

Cool!  Attached is an updated patch.  Other changes other than that:
1) I added the curlevel parameter to
pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup() to avoid doing
GetCurrentTransactionNestLevel() there, as proposed, and 2) tweaked
comments a bit further, mostly for/in
pgfdw_finish_pre_commit_cleanup() and
pgfdw_finish_pre_subcommit_cleanup().  Barring objections, I’ll commit
the patch.

Thanks for reviewing!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 3:30 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is an updated patch.

> Barring objections, I’ll commit
> the patch.

I have committed the patch.  I think the 0003 patch needs rebase.
I'll update the patch.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 2:49 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the 0003 patch needs rebase.
> I'll update the patch.

Here is an updated version.  I added to the 0003 patch a macro for
defining the milliseconds to wait, as proposed by David upthread.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 6:53 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an updated version.  I added to the 0003 patch a macro for
> defining the milliseconds to wait, as proposed by David upthread.

I modified the 0003 patch further: 1) I added to
pgfdw_cancel_query_end/pgfdw_exec_cleanup_query_end the PQconsumeInput
optimization that we have in do_sql_command_end, and 2) I
added/tweaked comments a bit further.  Attached is an updated version.

Like [1], I ran a simple performance test using the following transaction:

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT s;
INSERT INTO ft1 VALUES (10, 10);
INSERT INTO ft2 VALUES (20, 20);
ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT s;
RELEASE SAVEPOINT s;
INSERT INTO ft1 VALUES (10, 10);
INSERT INTO ft2 VALUES (20, 20);
ABORT;

where ft1 is a foreign table created on a foreign server hosted on the
same machine as the local server, and ft2 is a foreign table created
on a foreign server hosted on a different machine.  (In this test I
used two machines, while in [1] I used three machines: one for the
local server and the others for ft1 and ft2.)  The average latencies
for the ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT and ABORT commands over ten runs of the
above transaction with the parallel_abort option disabled/enabled are:

* ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT
  parallel_abort=0: 0.3217 ms
  parallel_abort=1: 0.2396 ms

* ABORT
  parallel_abort=0: 0.4749 ms
  parallel_abort=1: 0.3733 ms

This option reduces the latency for ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT by 25.5
percent, and the latency for ABORT by 21.4 percent.  From the results,
I think the patch is useful.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPmGK17dAZCXvwnfpr1eTfknTGdt%3DhYTV9405Gt5SqPOX8K84w%40mail.gmail.com

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang

Applied patches v6-0002 and v6-0003 to master branch, and the `make check` test is ok.

Here is my test result in 10 times average on 3 virtual machines:
before the patches:

abort.1 = 2.5473 ms

abort.2 = 4.1572 ms

after the patches with OPTIONS (ADD parallel_abort 'true'):

abort.1 = 1.7136 ms

abort.2 = 2.5833 ms

Overall, it has about 32 ~ 37 % improvement in my testing environment.

table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";}tr {mso-height-source:auto;}col {mso-width-source:auto;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:12.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Calibri, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;}

On 2022-03-05 2:32 a.m., Etsuro Fujita wrote:
[...]

Дата:
On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 10:02 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> Applied patches v6-0002 and v6-0003 to master branch, and the `make check` test is ok.
>
> Here is my test result in 10 times average on 3 virtual machines:
> before the patches:
>
> abort.1 = 2.5473 ms
>
> abort.2 = 4.1572 ms
>
> after the patches with OPTIONS (ADD parallel_abort 'true'):
>
> abort.1 = 1.7136 ms
>
> abort.2 = 2.5833 ms
>
> Overall, it has about 32 ~ 37 % improvement in my testing environment.

I think that is a great improvement.  Thanks for testing!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 7:32 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is an updated version.

In the 0002 patch I introduced a macro for building an abort command
in preparation for the parallel abort patch (0003), but I moved it to
0003.  Attached is a new patch set.  The new version of 0002 is just a
cleanup patch (see the commit message in 0002), and I think it's
committable, so I'm planning to commit it, if no objections.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 1:34 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is a new patch set.  The new version of 0002 is just a
> cleanup patch (see the commit message in 0002), and I think it's
> committable, so I'm planning to commit it, if no objections.

Done.

Attached is the 0003 patch, which is the same as the one I sent yesterday.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang
Дата:
I tried to apply the patch to master and plan to run some tests, but got
below errors due to other commits.

$ git apply --check
v7-0003-postgres-fdw-Add-support-for-parallel-abort.patch
error: patch failed: doc/src/sgml/postgres-fdw.sgml:479
error: doc/src/sgml/postgres-fdw.sgml: patch does not apply

+     * remote server in parallel at (sub)transaction end.

Here, I think the comment above could potentially apply to multiple
remote server(s).

Not sure if there is a way to avoid repeated comments? For example, the
same comment below appears in two places (line 231 and line 296).

+    /*
+     * If requested, consume whatever data is available from the socket.
+     * (Note that if all data is available, this allows
+     * pgfdw_get_cleanup_result to call PQgetResult without forcing the
+     * overhead of WaitLatchOrSocket, which would be large compared to the
+     * overhead of PQconsumeInput.)
+     */

--
Best regards,
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)
www.highgo.ca

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 4:55 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> I tried to apply the patch to master and plan to run some tests, but got
> below errors due to other commits.

I rebased the patch against HEAD.  Attached is an updated patch.

> +     * remote server in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
>
> Here, I think the comment above could potentially apply to multiple
> remote server(s).

I agree on that point, but I think it's correct to say "the remote
server" here, because we determine this for the given remote server.
Maybe I'm missing something, so could you elaborate on it?

> Not sure if there is a way to avoid repeated comments? For example, the
> same comment below appears in two places (line 231 and line 296).
>
> +    /*
> +     * If requested, consume whatever data is available from the socket.
> +     * (Note that if all data is available, this allows
> +     * pgfdw_get_cleanup_result to call PQgetResult without forcing the
> +     * overhead of WaitLatchOrSocket, which would be large compared to the
> +     * overhead of PQconsumeInput.)
> +     */

IMO I think it's OK to have this in multiple places, because 1) IMO it
wouldn't be that long, and 2) we already duplicated comments like this
in the same file in v14 and earlier.  Here is such an example in
pgfdw_xact_callback() and pgfdw_subxact_callback() in that file in
those versions:

                    /*
                     * If a command has been submitted to the remote server by
                     * using an asynchronous execution function, the command
                     * might not have yet completed.  Check to see if a
                     * command is still being processed by the remote server,
                     * and if so, request cancellation of the command.
                     */

Thanks for reviewing!  Sorry for the delay.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang
Дата:
Thanks a lot for the patch update.

On 2022-05-02 1:25 a.m., Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 4:55 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
>> I tried to apply the patch to master and plan to run some tests, but got
>> below errors due to other commits.
> I rebased the patch against HEAD.  Attached is an updated patch.

Applied the patch v8 to master branch today, and the `make check` is OK.
I also repeated previous performance tests on three virtual Ubuntu
18.04, and the performance improvement of parallel abort in 10 times
average is more consistent.

before:

     abort.1 = 2.6344 ms
     abort.2 = 4.2799 ms

after:

     abort.1 = 1.4105 ms
     abort.2 = 2.2075 ms

>> +     * remote server in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
>>
>> Here, I think the comment above could potentially apply to multiple
>> remote server(s).
> I agree on that point, but I think it's correct to say "the remote
> server" here, because we determine this for the given remote server.
> Maybe I'm missing something, so could you elaborate on it?
Your understanding is correct. I was thinking `remote server(s)` would
be easy for end user to understand but this is a comment in source code,
so either way is fine for me.

--
Best regards,
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)
www.highgo.ca

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 6:39 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-05-02 1:25 a.m., Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 4:55 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> >> I tried to apply the patch to master and plan to run some tests, but got
> >> below errors due to other commits.
> > I rebased the patch against HEAD.  Attached is an updated patch.
>
> Applied the patch v8 to master branch today, and the `make check` is OK.
> I also repeated previous performance tests on three virtual Ubuntu
> 18.04, and the performance improvement of parallel abort in 10 times
> average is more consistent.
>
> before:
>
>      abort.1 = 2.6344 ms
>      abort.2 = 4.2799 ms
>
> after:
>
>      abort.1 = 1.4105 ms
>      abort.2 = 2.2075 ms

Good to know!  Thanks for testing!

> >> +     * remote server in parallel at (sub)transaction end.
> >>
> >> Here, I think the comment above could potentially apply to multiple
> >> remote server(s).
> > I agree on that point, but I think it's correct to say "the remote
> > server" here, because we determine this for the given remote server.
> > Maybe I'm missing something, so could you elaborate on it?
> Your understanding is correct. I was thinking `remote server(s)` would
> be easy for end user to understand but this is a comment in source code,
> so either way is fine for me.

Ok, but I noticed that the comment failed to mention that the
parallel_commit option is disabled by default.  Also, I noticed a
comment above it:

     * It's enough to determine this only when making new connection because
     * all the connections to the foreign server whose keep_connections option
     * is changed will be closed and re-made later.

This would apply to the parallel_commit option as well.  How about
updating these like the attached?  (I simplified the latter comment
and moved it to a more appropriate place.)

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 7:08 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that the comment failed to mention that the
> parallel_commit option is disabled by default.  Also, I noticed a
> comment above it:
>
>      * It's enough to determine this only when making new connection because
>      * all the connections to the foreign server whose keep_connections option
>      * is changed will be closed and re-made later.
>
> This would apply to the parallel_commit option as well.  How about
> updating these like the attached?  (I simplified the latter comment
> and moved it to a more appropriate place.)

I’m planning to commit this as a follow-up patch for commit 04e706d42.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 7:39 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I noticed that the comment failed to mention that the
> > parallel_commit option is disabled by default.  Also, I noticed a
> > comment above it:
> >
> >      * It's enough to determine this only when making new connection because
> >      * all the connections to the foreign server whose keep_connections option
> >      * is changed will be closed and re-made later.
> >
> > This would apply to the parallel_commit option as well.  How about
> > updating these like the attached?  (I simplified the latter comment
> > and moved it to a more appropriate place.)
>
> I’m planning to commit this as a follow-up patch for commit 04e706d42.

Done.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Jacob Champion
Дата:
On 5/12/22 01:46, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 7:39 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I’m planning to commit this as a follow-up patch for commit 04e706d42.
>
> Done.

FYI, I think cfbot is confused about the patch under review here. (When
I first opened the thread I thought the patch had already been committed.)

For new reviewers: it looks like v8, upthread, is the proposal.

--Jacob

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi Jacob,

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 3:50 AM Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/22 01:46, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 7:39 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I’m planning to commit this as a follow-up patch for commit 04e706d42.
> >
> > Done.
>
> FYI, I think cfbot is confused about the patch under review here. (When
> I first opened the thread I thought the patch had already been committed.)

I should have attached the patch in the previous email.

> For new reviewers: it looks like v8, upthread, is the proposal.

The patch needs rebase due to commits 4036bcbbb, 8c8d307f8 and
82699edbf, so I updated the patch.  Attached is a new version, in
which I also tweaked comments a little bit.

Thanks for taking care of this!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
David Zhang
Дата:
Hi Etsuro,

> The patch needs rebase due to commits 4036bcbbb, 8c8d307f8 and
> 82699edbf, so I updated the patch.  Attached is a new version, in
> which I also tweaked comments a little bit.

After rebase the file `postgres_fdw.out` and applied to master branch,
make and make check are all ok for postgres_fdw.

--
David

Software Engineer
Highgo Software Inc. (Canada)
www.highgo.ca

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi David,

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 5:54 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> After rebase the file `postgres_fdw.out` and applied to master branch,
> make and make check are all ok for postgres_fdw.

Thanks for testing!  Attached is a rebased version of the patch.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
vignesh C
Дата:
On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 15:54, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 5:54 AM David Zhang <david.zhang@highgo.ca> wrote:
> > After rebase the file `postgres_fdw.out` and applied to master branch,
> > make and make check are all ok for postgres_fdw.
>
> Thanks for testing!  Attached is a rebased version of the patch.

The patch does not apply on top of HEAD as in [1], please post a rebased patch:
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID
b37a0832396414e8469d4ee4daea33396bde39b0 ===
=== applying patch ./v10-postgres-fdw-Add-support-for-parallel-abort.patch
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/connection.c
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out
Hunk #2 FAILED at 11576.
contrib/postgres_fdw/expected/postgres_fdw.out.rej
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/option.c
patching file contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql
Hunk #2 FAILED at 3788.
contrib/postgres_fdw/sql/postgres_fdw.sql.rej

[1] - http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_41_3392.log

Regards,
Vignesh

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Hi Vignesh,

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 9:19 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 15:54, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Attached is a rebased version of the patch.
>
> The patch does not apply on top of HEAD as in [1], please post a rebased patch:

I rebased the patch.  Attached is an updated patch.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 8:06 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> I rebased the patch.  Attached is an updated patch.

The parallel-abort patch received a review from David, and I addressed
his comments.  Also, he tested with the patch, and showed that it
reduces time taken to abort remote transactions.  So, if there are no
objections, I will commit the patch.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: postgres_fdw: commit remote (sub)transactions in parallel during pre-commit

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 7:28 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
> The parallel-abort patch received a review from David, and I addressed
> his comments.  Also, he tested with the patch, and showed that it
> reduces time taken to abort remote transactions.  So, if there are no
> objections, I will commit the patch.

Pushed after adding/modifying comments a little bit.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita