Обсуждение: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
Till now, we didn't allow to stream the changes in logical replication
till we receive speculative confirm or the next DML change record
after speculative inserts. The reason was that we never use to process
speculative aborts but after commit 4daa140a2f it is possible to
process them so we can allow streaming once we receive speculative
abort after speculative insertion. See attached.

I think this is a minor improvement in the logical replication of
in-progress transactions. I have verified this for speculative aborts
and it allows streaming once we receive the spec_abort change record.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Вложения

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Dilip Kumar
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> Till now, we didn't allow to stream the changes in logical replication
> till we receive speculative confirm or the next DML change record
> after speculative inserts. The reason was that we never use to process
> speculative aborts but after commit 4daa140a2f it is possible to
> process them so we can allow streaming once we receive speculative
> abort after speculative insertion. See attached.
>
> I think this is a minor improvement in the logical replication of
> in-progress transactions. I have verified this for speculative aborts
> and it allows streaming once we receive the spec_abort change record.

Yeah, this improvement makes sense.  And the patch looks fine to me.

Dilip Kumar

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Till now, we didn't allow to stream the changes in logical replication
> > till we receive speculative confirm or the next DML change record
> > after speculative inserts. The reason was that we never use to process
> > speculative aborts but after commit 4daa140a2f it is possible to
> > process them so we can allow streaming once we receive speculative
> > abort after speculative insertion. See attached.
> >
> > I think this is a minor improvement in the logical replication of
> > in-progress transactions. I have verified this for speculative aborts
> > and it allows streaming once we receive the spec_abort change record.
>
> Yeah, this improvement makes sense.  And the patch looks fine to me.

Thanks. Now, that the PG-15 branch is created, I think we should
commit this to both 15 and 14 as this is a minor change. What do you
think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Dilip Kumar
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Till now, we didn't allow to stream the changes in logical replication
> > > till we receive speculative confirm or the next DML change record
> > > after speculative inserts. The reason was that we never use to process
> > > speculative aborts but after commit 4daa140a2f it is possible to
> > > process them so we can allow streaming once we receive speculative
> > > abort after speculative insertion. See attached.
> > >
> > > I think this is a minor improvement in the logical replication of
> > > in-progress transactions. I have verified this for speculative aborts
> > > and it allows streaming once we receive the spec_abort change record.
> >
> > Yeah, this improvement makes sense.  And the patch looks fine to me.
> >

> Thanks. Now, that the PG-15 branch is created, I think we should
> commit this to both 15 and 14 as this is a minor change. What do you
> think?

Yeah, this is a minor improvement so can be pushed to both 15 and 14.

Dilip Kumar

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:55 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 9:29 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, this improvement makes sense.  And the patch looks fine to me.
> > >

> > Thanks. Now, that the PG-15 branch is created, I think we should
> > commit this to both 15 and 14 as this is a minor change. What do you
> > think?
>
> Yeah, this is a minor improvement so can be pushed to both 15 and 14.

Thanks, pushed!

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 4:15 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks. Now, that the PG-15 branch is created, I think we should
> > > commit this to both 15 and 14 as this is a minor change. What do you
> > > think?
> >
> > Yeah, this is a minor improvement so can be pushed to both 15 and 14.
>
> Thanks, pushed!

I think if you're going to back-patch things that are arguably new
features into stable branches, you ought to give people more than 4
hours and 16 minutes to object. That's how much time passed between
the proposal to back-patch and the commit getting pushed.

I'm not objecting to the change as such - though someone else may wish
to - but I'm definitely objecting to the timing of the commit.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Allow streaming the changes after speculative aborts.

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 5:38 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 4:15 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not objecting to the change as such - though someone else may wish
> to - but I'm definitely objecting to the timing of the commit.

Okay, I'll wait for more time going forward. Normally, I do wait but
this appeared straightforward to me so I went ahead.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.