Обсуждение: Check constraint failure messages

Check constraint failure messages

От
Miles Elam
Дата:
I've got a domain that validates email addresses. When inserting a bunch of entries I simply get the error message

ERROR: value for domain po.email violates check constraint "email_check" SQL state: 23514

When inserting 1000+ entries in a batch, finding the exact entry with the problem is noticeably harder than with other error types. For example when a column should be a uuid but you pass in 'Mary had a little lamb', the error message tells you what the invalid value is as well as the column name you're trying to put it into.

Are there any quick hacks floating around out there to solve or at least mitigate this?

- Miles

Re: Check constraint failure messages

От
Ron
Дата:
I've got a domain that validates email addresses. When inserting a bunch of entries I simply get the error message

ERROR: value for domain po.email violates check constraint "email_check" SQL state: 23514

When inserting 1000+ entries in a batch, finding the exact entry with the problem is noticeably harder than with other error types. For example when a column should be a uuid but you pass in 'Mary had a little lamb', the error message tells you what the invalid value is as well as the column name you're trying to put it into.

Are there any quick hacks floating around out there to solve or at least mitigate this?

Is it a deferred constraint?

Re: Check constraint failure messages

От
Miles Elam
Дата:
I've got a domain that validates email addresses. When inserting a bunch of entries I simply get the error message

ERROR: value for domain po.email violates check constraint "email_check" SQL state: 23514

When inserting 1000+ entries in a batch, finding the exact entry with the problem is noticeably harder than with other error types. For example when a column should be a uuid but you pass in 'Mary had a little lamb', the error message tells you what the invalid value is as well as the column name you're trying to put it into.

Are there any quick hacks floating around out there to solve or at least mitigate this?

Is it a deferred constraint?

Plain ole domain CHECK constraint.

CREATE DOMAIN po.email AS varchar
  CHECK (VALUE IS NULL OR (po.length_in(VALUE, 1, 254) AND NOT po.email_expanded(VALUE) IS NULL));

where "po" is another schema, po.length_in(...) is an IMMUTABLE range check, and po.email_expanded(...) is a function returning a record. Same behavior happens if I remove the functions and define the check constraint in place. The only info returned in a bulk insert is the name of the violated check constraint, aka email_check.

An example table using it is defined as follows

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS profile (
    id uuid PRIMARY KEY,
    email po.email NOT NULL,
    manager_email po.email NOT NULL
);

Nothing fancy.

INSERT INTO profile (id, email, manager_email) VALUES
  (gen_random_uuid(), 'user1@example.com', 'manager1@example.com'),
  (gen_random_uuid(), 'user2@example.com', 'manager2@example.com'),
             (gen_random_uuid(), 'user3&example.com', 'manager3@example.com'),
             (gen_random_uuid(), 'user4@example.com', 'manager4.example.com'),
             (gen_random_uuid(), 'user5@example.com', 'manager5@example.com');

Inserting this batch will tell me that there was an error and that it was "email_check" that failed, but no indication that the 3rd user's email address or the 4th user's manager email was the problem, forcing a bisect operation among 1,000+ entries to find the first error, then bisect from there to find the second error if any, and repeat until no more constraint errors.

- Miles

Re: Check constraint failure messages

От
Ron
Дата:
[...]

The blunt force answer is to not use bulk inserts.  Try COPY; it's good at saying which record throws an error.

Re: Check constraint failure messages

От
Miles Elam
Дата: