Обсуждение: PSQL CLI Drivers

PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Koteswara Rao Daliparthi
Дата:
Hi Guys,

Anyone know what driver does PSQL CLI use under the hood? Is it JDBC??

Thanks & Regards
Koteswara

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
John Scalia
Дата:
It’s directly integrated with the libpq library.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Koteswara Rao Daliparthi <koti813@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Anyone know what driver does PSQL CLI use under the hood? Is it JDBC??
>

> Thanks & Regards
> Koteswara

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Thomas Kellerer

Koteswara Rao Daliparthi schrieb am 11.11.2020 um 15:02:
> Anyone know what driver does PSQL CLI use under the hood? Is it JDBC??

It uses libpq

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq.html

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Koteswara Rao Daliparthi
Дата:
Thanks guys, for performance, should we choose libpq or JDBC? I know C will be faster than Java, but just wanted to
confirm.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> Koteswara Rao Daliparthi schrieb am 11.11.2020 um 15:02:
>> Anyone know what driver does PSQL CLI use under the hood? Is it JDBC??
>

> It uses libpq
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq.html

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
John Scalia
Дата:
I think that would depend on both what you want to accomplish and the skill sets of your developers. C would certainly
befaster, but Java capability may be acceptable to what you’re trying to do.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 9:31 AM, Koteswara Rao Daliparthi <koti813@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks guys, for performance, should we choose libpq or JDBC? I know C will be faster than Java, but just wanted to
confirm.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 11, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
>>

>> Koteswara Rao Daliparthi schrieb am 11.11.2020 um 15:02:
>>> Anyone know what driver does PSQL CLI use under the hood? Is it JDBC??
>>

>> It uses libpq
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq.html

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Holger Jakobs
Дата:
You actually have hardly a choice. Depending on the programming
language, you are bound to one driver or the other.

Some features are not supported by the standard JDBC driver,
LISTEN/NOTIFY for instance.

Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
do you get paid by the manufacturer?

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach, Tel. +49-178-9759012

Вложения

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
do you get paid by the manufacturer?

Really?

More importantly,

Please don't top-posts on these lists, the convention is to inline or bottom-post, trimming unnecessary content.

Also, reply-all is recommended.

David J.

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Ron
Дата:
On 11/11/20 1:21 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
do you get paid by the manufacturer?

Really?

More importantly,

Please don't top-posts on these lists, the convention is to inline or bottom-post, trimming unnecessary content.

Also, reply-all is recommended.

Reply-to-list is recommended for list discussions.

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
"David G. Johnston"

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/11/20 1:21 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
do you get paid by the manufacturer?

Really?

More importantly,

Please don't top-posts on these lists, the convention is to inline or bottom-post, trimming unnecessary content.

Also, reply-all is recommended.

Reply-to-list is recommended for list discussions.

I can’t actually find a recommendation but just looking at what actually happens here broadly, and by high-volume posters specifically, reply-all is the norm.  The point is to make sure you include the list, not exclude individuals (or only reply to individuals).

David J.

Re: PSQL CLI Drivers

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Greetings,

* David G. Johnston (david.g.johnston@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 11, 2020, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/11/20 1:21 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Please exchange the "Sent from my ..." text for your mail signature. Or
> >> do you get paid by the manufacturer?
> >
> > Really?

David's correct in his response here, though perhaps a few more words
can help clarify- there's a lot of folks who have signatures that they
use on these lists and there generally isn't any hard and fast rule
about what's acceptable or not, but a one-line comment about the email
being sent from a mobile device is entirely acceptable and does not
deserve comment or concern.

> > Also, reply-all is recommended.
> >
> > Reply-to-list is recommended for list discussions.
>
> I can’t actually find a recommendation but just looking at what actually
> happens here broadly, and by high-volume posters specifically, reply-all is
> the norm.  The point is to make sure you include the list, not exclude
> individuals (or only reply to individuals).

Reply-all is the convention used on these lists.  I don't think folks
get horribly bent out of shape over reply-to-list, but it can be a bit
confusing and in some cases lead to responses taking longer as some
folks prioritize things that are sent to them directly (because they've
engaged in that thread) vs. the rest of the email that hits the list.

There's certainly arguments for if that's really the 'best' approach or
not, but it's been convention here for at least the past 15 years, so I
don't expect it's likely to change anytime soon. :)

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения