Обсуждение: Remove a redundant condition check

Remove a redundant condition check

От
Ádám Balogh

Hello,

A one line change to remove a duplicate check. This duplicate check was detected during testing my contribution to a static code analysis tool. There is no functional change, no new tests needed.

Regards,

Ádám Balogh

CodeChecker Team

Ericsson Hungary

Вложения

Re: Remove a redundant condition check

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:23 PM Ádám Balogh <adam.balogh@ericsson.com> wrote:

> A one line change to remove a duplicate check. This duplicate check was detected during testing my contribution to a
staticcode analysis tool. There is no functional change, no new tests needed.

Yeah, this duplicate check is added as part of commit b2a5545bd6.  See
below part of change.

- /*
- * If this record was a timeline switch, wake up any
- * walsenders to notice that we are on a new timeline.
- */
- if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication())
- WalSndWakeup();
+ /* Is this a timeline switch? */
+ if (switchedTLI)
+ {
+ /*
+ * Before we continue on the new timeline, clean up any
+ * (possibly bogus) future WAL segments on the old timeline.
+ */
+ RemoveNonParentXlogFiles(EndRecPtr, ThisTimeLineID);
+
+ /*
+ * Wake up any walsenders to notice that we are on a new
+ * timeline.
+ */
+ if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication())
+ WalSndWakeup();
+ }

It seems we forgot to remove the additional check for switchedTLI
while adding a new check.  I think we can remove this duplicate check
in the HEAD code.  I am not sure if it is worth to backpatch such a
change.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Remove a redundant condition check

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 02:39:22PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> It seems we forgot to remove the additional check for switchedTLI
> while adding a new check.  I think we can remove this duplicate check
> in the HEAD code.  I am not sure if it is worth to backpatch such a
> change.

Yes, there is no point to keep this check so let's clean up this
code.  I also see no need to do a backpatch here, this is purely
cosmetic.
--
Michael

Вложения

RE: Remove a redundant condition check

От
Ádám Balogh
Дата:
Hello,

>> A one line change to remove a duplicate check. This duplicate check was detected during testing my contribution to a
staticcode analysis tool. There is no functional change, no new tests needed.

> Yeah, this duplicate check is added as part of commit b2a5545bd6.  See below part of change.
>
> - /*
> - * If this record was a timeline switch, wake up any
> - * walsenders to notice that we are on a new timeline.
> - */
> - if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication())
> - WalSndWakeup();
> + /* Is this a timeline switch? */
> + if (switchedTLI)
> + {
> + /*
> + * Before we continue on the new timeline, clean up any
> + * (possibly bogus) future WAL segments on the old timeline.
> + */
> + RemoveNonParentXlogFiles(EndRecPtr, ThisTimeLineID);
> +
> + /*
> + * Wake up any walsenders to notice that we are on a new
> + * timeline.
> + */
> + if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication()) WalSndWakeup(); }
>
> It seems we forgot to remove the additional check for switchedTLI while adding a new check.  I think we can remove
thisduplicate > > check in the HEAD code.  I am not sure if it is worth to backpatch such a change.

Thank you for confirming it. I do not think it is worth to backpatch, it is just a readability issue.
Regards,

Ádám

Re: Remove a redundant condition check

От
Ranier Vilela
Дата:
Em sex., 26 de jun. de 2020 às 06:09, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:23 PM Ádám Balogh <adam.balogh@ericsson.com> wrote:

> A one line change to remove a duplicate check. This duplicate check was detected during testing my contribution to a static code analysis tool. There is no functional change, no new tests needed.

Yeah, this duplicate check is added as part of commit b2a5545bd6.  See
below part of change.

- /*
- * If this record was a timeline switch, wake up any
- * walsenders to notice that we are on a new timeline.
- */
- if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication())
- WalSndWakeup();
+ /* Is this a timeline switch? */
+ if (switchedTLI)
+ {
+ /*
+ * Before we continue on the new timeline, clean up any
+ * (possibly bogus) future WAL segments on the old timeline.
+ */
+ RemoveNonParentXlogFiles(EndRecPtr, ThisTimeLineID);
+
+ /*
+ * Wake up any walsenders to notice that we are on a new
+ * timeline.
+ */
+ if (switchedTLI && AllowCascadeReplication())
+ WalSndWakeup();
+ }

It seems we forgot to remove the additional check for switchedTLI
while adding a new check.  I think we can remove this duplicate check
in the HEAD code.  I am not sure if it is worth to backpatch such a
change.
+1
Great to know, that this is finally going to be fixed. (1)

regards,
Ranier Vilela

Re: Remove a redundant condition check

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 02:39:22PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > It seems we forgot to remove the additional check for switchedTLI
> > while adding a new check.  I think we can remove this duplicate check
> > in the HEAD code.  I am not sure if it is worth to backpatch such a
> > change.
>
> Yes, there is no point to keep this check so let's clean up this
> code.  I also see no need to do a backpatch here, this is purely
> cosmetic.

Thanks for the confirmation, pushed!

--
With Regards,