Обсуждение: Starting just the pgAdmin server

Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver
Дата:
Good morning,

I hope all are well.

One of the big drawbacks of pgAdmin 4 for me is the time it takes to
start  the first time I use it (30+ seconds).  I always get the message
"Taking longer than..."

Is there a way to start the server without having the program start in
the browser?  System is Windows 10.

Thanks,
George

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Brian Wilson
Дата:
My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.
I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.
You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

Brian

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Dave Page

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.
I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.
You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

Docker is certainly a fine way to do this, however I do also see value in a "Don't automatically launch a browser at startup" option in the runtime.

George, could you log a feature request at https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues please?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.
I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.
You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

Docker is certainly a fine way to do this, however I do also see value in a "Don't automatically launch a browser at startup" option in the runtime.

George, could you log a feature request at https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues please?

I hacked on this over lunch - here's a patch.

Akshay, can you review/commit please?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Вложения

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver

Hi Dave,

Shall do.

George

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.
I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.
You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

Docker is certainly a fine way to do this, however I do also see value in a "Don't automatically launch a browser at startup" option in the runtime.

George, could you log a feature request at https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues please?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
--
Cleartag Software, Inc.
972 McMillan Avenue

Fast. Accurate. Easy.

RE: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Ken Benson

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.

I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.

You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

[Ken Benson]

I’m curious – what is Docker and where can I find some information on running PgAdmin 4 in Docker?

Ken Benson | ken @ infowerks-dot-com

Brian

RE: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Ken Benson

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.

I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.

You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

[Ken Benson]

I’m curious – what is Docker and where can I find some information on running PgAdmin 4 in Docker?

Ken Benson | ken @ infowerks-dot-com

Brian

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
richard coleman
Дата:
Ken,

Short answer, it's a more or less a self contained environment for running applications.  Docker is more developer friendly, a similar technology kubernetes is more dev ops focused.

Here are a few links to get you started:

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.

I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.

You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

[Ken Benson]

I’m curious – what is Docker and where can I find some information on running PgAdmin 4 in Docker?

Ken Benson | ken @ infowerks-dot-com

Brian

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Akshay Joshi
Дата:
Thanks, patch applied.

[...]

Thanks & Regards
Akshay Joshi
Sr. Software Architect
EnterpriseDB Software India Private Limited
Mobile: +91 976-788-8246

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver

Awesome.

Thanks Dave!

[...]

Дата:
I will try to write something up that is succinct and post a link here, it's going to be a very long weekend, I think. I was scheduled to present on Docker at a conference in April so I guess I can just pretend it's still happening and prepare for it anyway.

I have found Docker so useful that I want people to know about it, I have no connection with the project.

--Brian

I will try to write something up that is succinct and post a link here, it's going to be a very long weekend, I think. I was scheduled to present on Docker at a conference in April so I guess I can just pretend it's still happening and prepare for it anyway.

I have found Docker so useful that I want people to know about it, I have no connection with the project.

[Ken Benson] What are the advantages – specifically for PgAdmin 4?
Will Docker run on a Windows platform?
Maybe I’ll wait for the ‘movie’
😊

--Brian

My advice to anyone using pgadmin4 is to try running it in Docker.

I replied privately to George with more details. I can forward all that here if people want.

You might end up using Docker only for pgadmin4 but once you get used to using it I think it will be a valuable tool for you. The longer I use it the more places it fits in.

[Ken Benson]

I’m curious – what is Docker and where can I find some information on running PgAdmin 4 in Docker?

Ken Benson | ken @ infowerks-dot-com

Brian

--

Brian Wilson

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver

Good morning,

> "Don't automatically launch a browser at startup" option

Am I correct that this is included in the latest release?  If so, where do I find this option?

Thanks,

George

[...]

Дата:
Hi

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 3:16 PM George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca> wrote:

Good morning,

> "Don't automatically launch a browser at startup" option

Am I correct that this is included in the latest release?  If so, where do I find this option?

Click on the tray icon, and select Configure and you should see it at the bottom of the dialogue:

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 15.34.37.png
--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Вложения

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver

Perfect!

Thanks.

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 15.34.37.png
--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
--
Cleartag Software, Inc.
972 McMillan Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
R3M 0V7
(204) 284-9839 phone/cell
(204) 284-9838 fax
gweaver@cleartagsoftware.com

Fast. Accurate. Easy.
Вложения

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
George Weaver

Good morning,

Is there still the option to start just the Server in v5?

If so, how do I configure this?  There is no longer a tray icon...

Thanks,

George

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 15.34.37.png
--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
--
Cleartag Software, Inc.
972 McMillan Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
R3M 0V7
(204) 284-9839 phone/cell
(204) 284-9838 fax
gweaver@cleartagsoftware.com

Fast. Accurate. Easy.
Вложения

Re: Starting just the pgAdmin server

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

Is there still the option to start just the Server in v5?

No.

If so, how do I configure this?  There is no longer a tray icon...

Correct - the server is integrated into the application now, and runs as a traditional app would rather than a separate server with browser.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

PgAdmin 4 Importing Servers with Error

От
Bo Guo

Hi there,

I was trying to transfer the servers setup (connection to various servers) from one install to another using this link https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/development/import_export_servers.html

All is fine except when we import using

sudo python3 /usr/pgadmin4/web/setup.py --load-servers /srv/nas/Transfer/gisticservers.json

We got the following error msg:

Please kindly advise if there is anything I might have done wrong in the process.

Cheers,

Bo

Is there still the option to start just the Server in v5?

No.

If so, how do I configure this?  There is no longer a tray icon...

Correct - the server is integrated into the application now, and runs as a traditional app would rather than a separate server with browser.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Bo Guo, PhD, PE
President
Gistic Research, Inc.
2033 E Warner Rd Ste 105
Tempe, AZ 85284
www.gisticinc.com
www.youtube.com/linearbench
Office: 480-656-9962
Cell: 602-570-4697

Re: PgAdmin 4 Importing Servers with Error

От
Khushboo Vashi
Дата:
Hi,