Обсуждение: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

\COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
Hello,

We're moving databases from Sybase/Oracle to PostgreSQL 11.4 by
unloading them with our own tool into a CSV like format and loading the
rows with \COPY. One can imagine that in old databases, in use for
a longer time, you will find any sort of dust which should not be there, for
example ISO-8859-1 chars while the CHAR column should be in UTF-8. Needless
to say, this data should not be there, it is just a fact, in parts
caused by foreign data loaded into the Sybase/Oracle database, sometimes
our own Java- or Perl-written software, breaks a longer CHAR column into
two sequential rows (with an INT column to note the order), but does
the break in the middle of an UTF-8 multi-byte, clumsy. :-(

In short, it there a way to let \COPY accept such broken ISO bytes, just
complaining about, but not stopping the insert of the row?

Thanks

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

Дата:
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> In short, it there a way to let \COPY accept such broken ISO bytes, just
> complaining about, but not stopping the insert of the row?

No.  We don't particularly believe in the utility of invalid data.

If you don't actually care about what encoding your data is in,
you could use SQL_ASCII as the database "encoding" and thereby
disable all UTF8-specific behavior.  Otherwise, maybe this conversion
is a good time to clean up the mess?

            regards, tom lane

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Thomas Munro
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:46 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> > In short, it there a way to let \COPY accept such broken ISO bytes, just
> > complaining about, but not stopping the insert of the row?
>
> No.  We don't particularly believe in the utility of invalid data.
>
> If you don't actually care about what encoding your data is in,
> you could use SQL_ASCII as the database "encoding" and thereby
> disable all UTF8-specific behavior.  Otherwise, maybe this conversion
> is a good time to clean up the mess?

Something like this approach might be useful for fixing the CSV file:

https://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/185821/convert-a-mix-of-latin-1-and-utf-8-to-proper-utf-8

I haven't tested that program but it looks like the right sort of
approach; I remember writing similar logic to untangle the strange
mixtures of Latin 1, Windows 1252, and UTF-8  that late 90s browsers
used to send.  That sort of approach can't fix every theoretical
problem (some valid Latin1 sequences are also valid UTF-8 sequences)
but it's doable with text in European languages.

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:

 Thomas> Something like this approach might be useful for fixing the CSV file:

 Thomas> https://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/185821/convert-a-mix-of-latin-1-and-utf-8-to-proper-utf-8

Or:

perl -MEncode -pe '
 use bytes;
 sub c { decode("UTF-8",shift,sub { decode("windows-1252", chr(shift)) }); }
 s/([\x80-\xFF]+)/encode("UTF-8",c($1))/eg' <infile >outfile

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Rory Campbell-Lange
Дата:
On 27/03/20, Andrew Gierth (andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk) wrote:

>  Thomas> Something like this approach might be useful for fixing the CSV file:
>
>  Thomas> https://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/185821/convert-a-mix-of-latin-1-and-utf-8-to-proper-utf-8
>
> Or:
>
> perl -MEncode -pe '
>  use bytes;
>  sub c { decode("UTF-8",shift,sub { decode("windows-1252", chr(shift)) }); }
>  s/([\x80-\xFF]+)/encode("UTF-8",c($1))/eg' <infile >outfile

Or:

    iconv -f WINDOWS-1252 -t UTF-8 -c < tempfile2 > tempfile3

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:

 Rory> Or:

 Rory>     iconv -f WINDOWS-1252 -t UTF-8 -c < tempfile2 > tempfile3

No. That's just a conversion of win1252 to utf8 without regard for any
UTF8 that might already be present in the input. Any such input will end
up double-encoded, requiring further work to fix.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Rory Campbell-Lange
Дата:

>  Rory> Or:
>
>  Rory>     iconv -f WINDOWS-1252 -t UTF-8 -c < tempfile2 > tempfile3
>
> No. That's just a conversion of win1252 to utf8 without regard for any
> UTF8 that might already be present in the input. Any such input will end
> up double-encoded, requiring further work to fix.

My apologies. I missed the subtlety of the substitution in your perl code.

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Matthias Apitz
Дата:
El día sábado, marzo 28, 2020 a las 09:40:30a. m. +1300, Thomas Munro escribió:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:46 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> writes:
> > > In short, it there a way to let \COPY accept such broken ISO bytes, just
> > > complaining about, but not stopping the insert of the row?
> >
> > No.  We don't particularly believe in the utility of invalid data.
> >
> > If you don't actually care about what encoding your data is in,
> > you could use SQL_ASCII as the database "encoding" and thereby
> > disable all UTF8-specific behavior.  Otherwise, maybe this conversion
> > is a good time to clean up the mess?
>
> Something like this approach might be useful for fixing the CSV file:
>
> https://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/185821/convert-a-mix-of-latin-1-and-utf-8-to-proper-utf-8
>
> I haven't tested that program but it looks like the right sort of
> approach; I remember writing similar logic to untangle the strange
> mixtures of Latin 1, Windows 1252, and UTF-8  that late 90s browsers
> used to send.  That sort of approach can't fix every theoretical
> problem (some valid Latin1 sequences are also valid UTF-8 sequences)
> but it's doable with text in European languages.

Thomas,

This is a very good finding, thanks for this.

I played around a bit with the original code, and tested some
modifications to fit better in our problem... It works fine:

- it translates any ISO char, for example 0xfc (German Umlaut ü in ISO), into the
  correct UTF-8 coding 0xc3bc:

  perl -e 'print pack("H*", "4040fc4040")' | ./convert2properUTF8 | hexdump -C
  00000000  40 40 c3 bc 40 40                                 |@@..@@|
  00000006

- it translates a situation where 0xc3bc (German Umlaut ü in UTF-8
  coding) was broken into two columns, one terminating in 0xc3 and the 2nd
  row starting with 0xbc; this would give:

  perl -e 'print pack("H*", "c3")' | ./convert2properUTF8 | hexdump -C
  00000000  c3 83                                             |..|
  00000002
  perl -e 'print pack("H*", "bc40")' | ./convert2properUTF8 | hexdump -C
  00000000  c2 bc 40                                          |..@|
  00000003

  i.e. 0xc3 is translated to 0xc383 and the 2nd half, the 0xbc to
  0xc2bc, both translations have nothing to do with the original split 0xc3bc, and
  perhaps in this case it would be better to spill out a blank 0x40 for
  each of the bytes which formed the 0xc3bc.

But this we will discuss here and align the code to our use cases.

Thanks again

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Re: \COPY to accept non UTF-8 chars in CHAR columns

От
Andrew Gierth
Дата:

 Matthias>   i.e. 0xc3 is translated to 0xc383 and the 2nd half, the
 Matthias>   0xbc to 0xc2bc, both translations have nothing to do with
 Matthias>   the original split 0xc3bc, and perhaps in this case it
 Matthias>   would be better to spill out a blank 0x40 for each of the
 Matthias>   bytes which formed the 0xc3bc.

If the only malformed sequences are there as a result of splitting up
valid sequences, then you could do something like convert all invalid
sequences to (sequences of) noncharacters, then once the data is
imported, fix it up by adjusting how the data is split and regenerating
the correct sequence (assuming your application allows this).

For example you could encode an arbitrary byte xy as a sequence of two
codepoints U+FDDx U+FDEy (the range FDD0-FDEF are all defined as
noncharacters).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)