Обсуждение: How to install check_postgres on CentOS 8?

How to install check_postgres on CentOS 8?

От
rainer@ultra-secure.de
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to install the check_postgres RPM from the official
postgresql.org repository onto CentOS 8.1

It says:

Error:
  Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
   - nothing provides perl-DateTime-Format-DateParse needed by
check_postgres-2.25.0-1.rhel8.noarch
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest'
to use not only best candidate packages)

Maybe I'm missing something, but how was this package built anyway?

What do I have to do to install that package?

Rainer

Re: How to install check_postgres on CentOS 8?

От
Paul Förster
Дата:
Hi Rainer,

I'd suggest that your perl package is the most recent. Just a wild guess, though. But what I'd suggest more is that you
downloadthe source archive and compile the whole package yourself for your target platform.

This is what I always do. I never install a precompiled rpm. This way, I make sure that the resulting installation
workson my system. It's actually pretty easy to do and takes only 3-4 minutes to compile everything. It's not like
you'dhave to wait hours for the build to finish.

Cheers,
Paul

> On 26. Feb, 2020, at 15:11, rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the check_postgres RPM from the official postgresql.org repository onto CentOS 8.1
>
> It says:
>
> Error:
> Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
>  - nothing provides perl-DateTime-Format-DateParse needed by check_postgres-2.25.0-1.rhel8.noarch
> (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)
>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but how was this package built anyway?
>
> What do I have to do to install that package?
>

> Rainer

Re: How to install check_postgres on CentOS 8?

От
rainer@ultra-secure.de
Дата:
Am 2020-02-26 17:23, schrieb Paul Förster:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> I'd suggest that your perl package is the most recent. Just a wild
> guess, though. But what I'd suggest more is that you download the
> source archive and compile the whole package yourself for your target
> platform.
>
> This is what I always do. I never install a precompiled rpm. This way,
> I make sure that the resulting installation works on my system. It's
> actually pretty easy to do and takes only 3-4 minutes to compile
> everything. It's not like you'd have to wait hours for the build to
> finish.

It's really a perl-script, there's nothing to compile AFAIK.

I installed the other dependency that it needs by hand then
force-install it.

It looks like we don't need the functionality that actually needs the
missing perl module.

Re: How to install check_postgres on CentOS 8?

От
"Peter J. Holzer"
Дата:
On 2020-02-26 15:11:38 +0100, rainer@ultra-secure.de wrote:
> I'm trying to install the check_postgres RPM from the official
> postgresql.org repository onto CentOS 8.1
>
> It says:
>
> Error:
>  Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
>   - nothing provides perl-DateTime-Format-DateParse needed by
> check_postgres-2.25.0-1.rhel8.noarch

So check_postgres depends on a package which isn't in any of your yum
repositories.

It's been some time that I last used RHEL (RHEL 6 was the last I used),
but there were some optional repositories (actually, I think they were
called "channels") with "application specific" packages. Among them was
a developer repo whith lots of additional Perl modules (and other stuff,
but the Perl modules were what is relevant here).

If RHEL 8 (and by extension, CentOS 8) still has that structure, you may
need to configure those repos.

There is also EPEL ("Extra Packages for Redhat Linux"), which contains
packages from Fedora. Maybe perl-DateTime-Format-DateParse is in EPEL?

        hp