Обсуждение: Question on pgwatch

Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR

I am trying to configure pgwatch to monitor our postgres database.  I am wondering if we can install/configure and run it from a windows server to monitor our postgres database which runs on a linux server.

Does pgwatch only runs on linux platforms?

And can we install and run it on the same linux server where the postgres database is running?

Thanks and regards,

Bikram Majumdar

Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.

c. 1.972.365.3737

e. bikram.majumdar@aqsacom.com

s. BIKRAM MAJUMDAR

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for delivering this to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

Вложения

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 11:57 PM Bikram MAJUMDAR
<Bikram.Majumdar@aqsacom.com> wrote:
> Does pgwatch only runs on linux platforms?

According to the documentation it runs on docker by default, so it
depends on how simple it is to get running docker on windows
<https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/>.
Another approach could be to run a linux virtual machine on the
windows box, since the pgwatch documentation explains how to install
it on a non-docker container.

Hope this helps.
Luca

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR
Дата:
Hi Luca,

Thanks a lot for your response.

So are you saying we can run pgwatch from windows also ?
From reading so far on pgwatch, I thought it can be installed and run only on linux platforms - but, I may be wrong.
Would you have a document on downloading and installing the windows version?

Another question:
Can we install and run it from the postgres database server itself?

Thanks and regards,
Bikram Majumdar
Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER
PRIVILEGEDCOMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b)
intendedonly for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for
deliveringthis to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited.If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps
necessaryto delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail
arethose of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage
causedby any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> Does pgwatch only runs on linux platforms?

According to the documentation it runs on docker by default, so it depends on how simple it is to get running docker on
windows<https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/>.

Another approach could be to run a linux virtual machine on the windows box, since the pgwatch documentation explains
howto install it on a non-docker container.

Hope this helps.
Luca

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:50 PM Bikram MAJUMDAR
<Bikram.Majumdar@aqsacom.com> wrote:
> So are you saying we can run pgwatch from windows also ?

No, I wrote that pgwatch runs in a docker container, so as far as you
can run docker on windows you should be able to run pgwatch within
docker on top of windows.

> From reading so far on pgwatch, I thought it can be installed and run only on linux platforms - but, I may be wrong.

pgwatch runs on a linux stack, so if you need to run it on windows you
have either to runa  virtual machine (running linux) or get a docker
linux container available and running.

> Can we install and run it from the postgres database server itself?

I think it is possible, but probably not the best solution.

Luca

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR
Дата:
Thanks a lot Luca.

Last question:
If we want to run on windows  then, is there any guide/documentation available that you can refer me.

Thanks
Bikram Majumdar
Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER
PRIVILEGEDCOMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b)
intendedonly for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for
deliveringthis to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited.If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps
necessaryto delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail
arethose of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage
causedby any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> So are you saying we can run pgwatch from windows also ?

No, I wrote that pgwatch runs in a docker container, so as far as you can run docker on windows you should be able to
runpgwatch within docker on top of windows.

> From reading so far on pgwatch, I thought it can be installed and run only on linux platforms - but, I may be wrong.

pgwatch runs on a linux stack, so if you need to run it on windows you have either to runa  virtual machine (running
linux)or get a docker linux container available and running.

> Can we install and run it from the postgres database server itself?

I think it is possible, but probably not the best solution.

Luca

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
> On Aug 13, 2019, at 12:23 PM, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> pgwatch runs on a linux stack, so if you need to run it on windows you
> have either to runa  virtual machine (running linux) or get a docker
> linux container available and running.

Don't forget Windows Subsystem for Linux: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

RE: Question on pgwatch

От
Bikram MAJUMDAR
Дата:
Thanks a lot for your response and help.
Would you please tell me where I can get the locker with linux container for windows and how to install it on my
windowsmachine?

Thanks and regards,
Bikram Majumdar
Sr Software Developer/DBA, Aqsacom Inc.
c. 1.972.365.3737

Disclaimer. This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a) CUSTOMER / SUPPLIER / PARTNER
PRIVILEGEDCOMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b)
intendedonly for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee, or the person responsible for
deliveringthis to an Addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited.If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please reply to the sender and take the steps
necessaryto delete the message completely from your computer system. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail
arethose of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of AQSACOM. AQSACOM accepts no liability for any damage
causedby any virus/worms transmitted by this email.

> pgwatch runs on a linux stack, so if you need to run it on windows you
> have either to runa  virtual machine (running linux) or get a docker
> linux container available and running.

Don't forget Windows Subsystem for Linux: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Re: Question on pgwatch

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:57 PM Bikram MAJUMDAR
<Bikram.Majumdar@aqsacom.com> wrote:
> Would you please tell me where I can get the locker with linux container for windows and how to install it on my
windowsmachine?

In my first email I sent you the link to get started with docker on
windows <https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/>, then I believe
you have to do your own homework.

Luca