Обсуждение: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
Hi,

Can the commitfest app show the total number of messages in the
associated mailing list threads? Preferably on the main page as a
sortable field.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/

Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 21 Jul 2019, at 00:24, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope@jackdb.com> wrote:

> Can the commitfest app show the total number of messages in the
> associated mailing list threads? Preferably on the main page as a
> sortable field.

What insights do you envision that information would provide to users working
with the app?

cheers ./daniel

Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
What insights do you envision that information would provide to users working
with the app?

Came about while I've been going through the Commitfest app looking for something to pickup as a first time reviewer. I figure mailing list message counts are a decent proxy for how much / how many people have weighed in on a particular patch and how complicated it may be.

Stats from the latest patches would be useful as well (total size, number of files changed, lines added, lines removed, etc). That'd be more complicated though as would need something to parse the patch and deal with multiple attachments.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/

Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 23 Jul 2019, at 14:22, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope@jackdb.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 3:20 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> wrote:
> What insights do you envision that information would provide to users working
> with the app?
>
> Came about while I've been going through the Commitfest app looking for something to pickup as a first time reviewer.
Ifigure mailing list message counts are a decent proxy for how much / how many people have weighed in on a particular
patchand how complicated it may be.

I don’t think there is a reliable correlation between the length of the thread
and the complexity of the patch (the existance of bikeshedding as a concept
kind of proves that).

> Stats from the latest patches would be useful as well (total size, number of files changed, lines added, lines
removed,etc). That'd be more complicated though as would need something to parse the patch and deal with multiple
attachments.

LoC is also not a very truthful metric for complexity, but I agree that would
no doubt the nice to have (although the list of changed files is the part that
appeals to me).  It is as you say slightly more complicated though.

I agree that it would be nice if patches suitable for beginners where marked in
order to lower the barrier to entry, but I don’t have any answers on how to do
that.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

От
Sehrope Sarkuni
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
I don’t think there is a reliable correlation between the length of the thread
and the complexity of the patch (the existance of bikeshedding as a concept
kind of proves that).

I agree it's far from perfect, but it does give some idea of how much background or discussion there is on a topic. Anyone trying out a patch would want to read through the entire thread first and this could help find shorter ones.

LoC is also not a very truthful metric for complexity, but I agree that would
no doubt the nice to have (although the list of changed files is the part that
appeals to me).  It is as you say slightly more complicated though.

Anything code related would be generally more useful, and not just to a beginner. I figured the mail counts would be easier to add though as it's a single number without any parsing.

I agree that it would be nice if patches suitable for beginners where marked in
order to lower the barrier to entry, but I don’t have any answers on how to do
that.

Yes, short of someone more seasoned manually tagging things, I doubt there's a general solution. The counts idea seemed like low hanging fruit that might help.