Обсуждение: Possible race condition in pg_mkdir_p()?

Possible race condition in pg_mkdir_p()?

От
Ning Yu
Дата:
Hi Hackers,

We found a race condition in pg_mkdir_p(), here is a simple reproducer:

    #!/bin/sh

    basedir=pgdata
    datadir=$basedir/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l/m/n/o/p/q/r/s/t/u/v/w/x/y/z
    logdir=$basedir/logs
    n=2

    rm -rf $basedir
    mkdir -p $logdir

    # init databases concurrently, they will all try to create the parent dirs
    for i in `seq $n`; do
          initdb -D $datadir/$i >$logdir/$i.log 2>&1 &
    done

    wait

    # there is a chance one of the initdb commands failed to create the datadir
    grep 'could not create directory' $logdir/*

The logic in pg_mkdir_p() is as below:

        /* check for pre-existing directory */
        if (stat(path, &sb) == 0)
        {
            if (!S_ISDIR(sb.st_mode))
            {
                if (last)
                    errno = EEXIST;
                else
                    errno = ENOTDIR;
                retval = -1;
                break;
            }
        }
        else if (mkdir(path, last ? omode : S_IRWXU | S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO) < 0)
        {
            retval = -1;
            break;
        }

This seems buggy as it first checks the existence of the dir and makes the dir if it does not exist yet, however when executing concurrently a possible race condition can be as below: