Обсуждение: Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster

Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster

От
"Phil Endecott"
Дата:
Dear Experts,

I have a couple of cloud servers currently running PostgreSQL-9.6 on
Debian Stretch with streaming replication from one to the other.

I'd like to upgrade these to Buster, but keep PostgreSQL-9.6 for the
time being.  I think the packages at apt.postgresql.org will help
me to do this.  Can anyone offer any advice?

In particular, the Buster release notes mention an issue with
locales.  Is this something that I need to worry about even if I
keep PostgreSQL-9.6?  How does this interact with my replication
setup?  Can I replicate (temporarily) to an machine that has been
upgraded to the new locales from one that hasn't?

Thanks, Phil.

Re: Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster

От
Christoph Berg
Дата:
Am 10. Juli 2019 17:39:30 MESZ schrieb Phil Endecott <spam_from_pgsql_lists@chezphil.org>:
>Dear Experts,
>
>I have a couple of cloud servers currently running PostgreSQL-9.6 on
>Debian Stretch with streaming replication from one to the other.
>
>I'd like to upgrade these to Buster, but keep PostgreSQL-9.6 for the
>time being.  I think the packages at apt.postgresql.org will help
>me to do this.  Can anyone offer any advice?

Yes. This is one of the use cases for that repository.

>In particular, the Buster release notes mention an issue with
>locales.  Is this something that I need to worry about even if I
>keep PostgreSQL-9.6?

Still affected.

 How does this interact with my replication
>setup?  Can I replicate (temporarily) to an machine that has been
>upgraded to the new locales from one that hasn't?

No.

Christoph

Re: Keeping Postgresql-9.6 on Buster

От
"Phil Endecott"
Дата:
Hi Christoph,

Christoph Berg wrote:
> Am 10. Juli 2019 17:39:30 MESZ schrieb Phil Endecott <spam_from_pgsql_lists@chezphil.org>:
>>In particular, the Buster release notes mention an issue with
>>locales.  Is this something that I need to worry about even if I
>>keep PostgreSQL-9.6?
>
> Still affected.
>
>> How does this interact with my replication
>>setup?  Can I replicate (temporarily) to an machine that has been
>>upgraded to the new locales from one that hasn't?
>
> No.

OK, I have found this: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes
and your linked email.

Much of my data is just ASCII, or binary blobs, but I think I probably set
the locales to UTF8.  Hmmm.

I will probably have more questions, unless I just decide to not upgrade.
Is this the best place to ask?

Cheers, Phil.

Re: Phil Endecott 2019-07-11 <1562848237936@dmwebmail.dmwebmail.chezphil.org>
> OK, I have found this: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Locale_data_changes
> and your linked email.
>
> Much of my data is just ASCII, or binary blobs, but I think I probably set
> the locales to UTF8.  Hmmm.

You are affected as soon as you put an index on a "text" column with
en_US.UTF-8 collation that contains things as simple as "1-1" "1 1".
These will switch ordering, and the old index is corrupt wrt. the new
operating system. Indexes on "bytea" are fine.

> I will probably have more questions, unless I just decide to not upgrade.
> Is this the best place to ask?

Here or on pgsql-general.

Christoph