Обсуждение: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Souvik Bhattacherjee
Дата:
Hello,

I'm trying to pass some values between queries in a multi-statement transaction. For example, consider the following representative multi-statement transaction:

begin;
select * from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid;
delete from table1 where cid in (values-to-be-populated-from-the-previous-query);
commit;

Now, assume that I'm able to get the cid values from table1 that satisfies the equi-join condition and I want to pass those values in the IN condition in the subsequent delete query. Is there a straightforward way to achieve this by modifying the postgresql source code?

I tried doing this by creating a hash table (by following this example: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HashTable). The hash key in this case is the current transactionid (which I presume should remain unchanged for the entire duration of the transaction) and the hash value is dynamically allocated. Within the query I can perform a lookup and insert without any problem. However, when I try to do a lookup of the hash value from a different query that did not insert the value originally, I do not get any value. The hash table is able to tell me that the key exists (due to the fact that the key is not dynamically allocated) but doesn't return any value. My guess is that after each query in the multi-statement txn block, the storage for that query is deallocated, which results in the following behaviour.

The hash table approach (although it didn't work) above, IMO, has the drawback that it needs to be locked since there can be other txns that can try to access the hash table as well.

The other approach here would be the serialize the values into a file and then read those values later from the subsequent query. However this is not efficient.

Thus, I'm looking for a method of passing values between queries in a multi-statement block that avoids the disk and does not need locking. I was wondering if there is a way to define a hash table (or any data structure) which is visible only to the current transaction.

-SB

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
"David G. Johnston"

I'm trying to pass some values between queries in a multi-statement transaction. For example, consider the following representative multi-statement transaction:

begin;
select * from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid;
delete from table1 where cid in (values-to-be-populated-from-the-previous-query);
commit;

There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and completely pass all values from one query to another in the same transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined into a single statement.

Now, the stuff you are trying seems to indicate you are trying to do something in C, inside the engine itself, with all of this.  If that is the case you may want to be more clear as to what you are attempting to do.  But as far as server SQL goes the only persistence area are tables/relations - including temporary ones.

David J.

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statementtransaction

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 4/17/19 3:04 PM, Souvik Bhattacherjee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to pass some values between queries in a multi-statement
> transaction. For example, consider the following representative
> multi-statement transaction:
>
> begin;
> select * from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid;
> delete from table1 where cid in
> (values-to-be-populated-from-the-previous-query);
> commit;

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-delete.html
"DELETE FROM films
   WHERE producer_id IN (SELECT id FROM producers WHERE name = 'foo');"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Souvik Bhattacherjee
Дата:
There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and completely pass all values from one query to another in the same transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined into a single statement.

> What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values from the previous query into the next:

begin;
insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname, t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
commit;

However note that we have to perform the join twice, which is not efficient. Now to make things worse, increase the number of tables to join while imposing the requirement of tuple deletion to apply to all or to a subset of the tables that participate in join.

Now, the stuff you are trying seems to indicate you are trying to do something in C, inside the engine itself, with all of this.  If that is the case you may want to be more clear as to what you are attempting to do.  But as far as server SQL goes the only persistence area are tables/relations - including temporary ones.

> I'm trying to modify the engine here.

-SB

[...]

Дата:
One can argue here that we can use the results from table3 to perform the delete operation instead of joining again. But table3 may be subject to updates which makes the situation tricky.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:30 PM Souvik Bhattacherjee <kivuosb@gmail.com> wrote:
There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and completely pass all values from one query to another in the same transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined into a single statement.

> What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values from the previous query into the next:

begin;
insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname, t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
commit;

However note that we have to perform the join twice, which is not efficient. Now to make things worse, increase the number of tables to join while imposing the requirement of tuple deletion to apply to all or to a subset of the tables that participate in join.

Now, the stuff you are trying seems to indicate you are trying to do something in C, inside the engine itself, with all of this.  If that is the case you may want to be more clear as to what you are attempting to do.  But as far as server SQL goes the only persistence area are tables/relations - including temporary ones.

> I'm trying to modify the engine here.

-SB

I'm trying to pass some values between queries in a multi-statement transaction. For example, consider the following representative multi-statement transaction:

begin;
select * from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid;
delete from table1 where cid in (values-to-be-populated-from-the-previous-query);
commit;

There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and completely pass all values from one query to another in the same transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined into a single statement.

Now, the stuff you are trying seems to indicate you are trying to do something in C, inside the engine itself, with all of this.  If that is the case you may want to be more clear as to what you are attempting to do.  But as far as server SQL goes the only persistence area are tables/relations - including temporary ones.

David J.

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Michel Pelletier
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM Souvik Bhattacherjee <kivuosb@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values from the previous query into the next:

begin;
insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname, t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
commit;

You can use INSERT...RETURNING in a WITH query:

postgres=# create table foo (a integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table bar (b integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into bar values (42);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# with i as (insert into foo values (42) returning a) delete from bar where b = (select a from i);
DELETE 1

-Michel

[...]

Дата:
On 4/17/19 5:30 PM, Souvik Bhattacherjee wrote:
> There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and
> completely pass all values from one query to another in the same
> transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single
> statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined
> into a single statement.
>
>  > What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as
> well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from
> table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values
> from the previous query into the next:
>
> begin;
> insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname,
> t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
> delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2
> where t1.cid = t2.cid);

Well the DELETE is not going to work as c.cid will error as undefined.

> commit;
>
> However note that we have to perform the join twice, which is not
> efficient. Now to make things worse, increase the number of tables to
> join while imposing the requirement of tuple deletion to apply to all or
> to a subset of the tables that participate in join.

You might want to take a look at CTE's:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/queries-with.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Souvik Bhattacherjee
Дата:
Thanks Michel.

However this only works if a is an unique attribute in the table that would help us to identify tuples that participated in the join. Consider the following join:

insert into table3 (id, level, empname, salary)
(select  t0.cid, t0.level, t1.empname, t2.salary from table0 t0, table1 t1, table2 t2 where t0.cid = t1.cid and t1.pid = t2.pid);

Now if I want to delete those tuples from table2 that satisfied the join condition, I need to execute the join again with additional attributes. Also note that based on query plan, i.e. whether table0 and table1 were joined first followed by table1 and table2, we have to execute one additional join to get the tuples in table2 that satisfied the join condition (t1.pid = t2.pid).

Getting that information while the query is executed may not be difficult. There are other use cases in my application that require me to transfer the data from one query to the next within a transaction.

Thus, what I'm looking for here is way to store the information and then pass that information to the next query efficiently.
For example, is it possible to define a struct of my choice, private to the current transaction, that would store the data and then pass it around to the next query in the transaction without having to materialize that struct (or deal with concurrency issues as in the hash table approach mentioned earlier) .

-SB

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:47 PM Michel Pelletier <pelletier.michel@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM Souvik Bhattacherjee <kivuosb@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values from the previous query into the next:

begin;
insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname, t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
commit;

You can use INSERT...RETURNING in a WITH query:

postgres=# create table foo (a integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table bar (b integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into bar values (42);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# with i as (insert into foo values (42) returning a) delete from bar where b = (select a from i);
DELETE 1

-Michel

I'm trying to pass some values between queries in a multi-statement transaction. For example, consider the following representative multi-statement transaction:

begin;
select * from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid;
delete from table1 where cid in (values-to-be-populated-from-the-previous-query);
commit;

There are few if any situations where you need to immediately and completely pass all values from one query to another in the same transaction where the queries cannot just be combined into a single statement.  Your representative example is one that is easily combined into a single statement.

Now, the stuff you are trying seems to indicate you are trying to do something in C, inside the engine itself, with all of this.  If that is the case you may want to be more clear as to what you are attempting to do.  But as far as server SQL goes the only persistence area are tables/relations - including temporary ones.

David J.

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Souvik Bhattacherjee
Дата:
Well the DELETE is not going to work as c.cid will error as undefined.

> Yes, that's a typo. I haven't tested it out before typing; just wanted to convey the general idea.

-SB

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Michael Lewis
Дата:
Thus, what I'm looking for here is way to store the information and then pass that information to the next query efficiently.
For example, is it possible to define a struct of my choice, private to the current transaction, that would store the data and then pass it around to the next query in the transaction without having to materialize that struct (or deal with concurrency issues as in the hash table approach mentioned earlier) .

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why not use a temp table?

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Michel Pelletier
Дата:
Thus, what I'm looking for here is way to store the information and then pass that information to the next query efficiently.
For example, is it possible to define a struct of my choice, private to the current transaction, that would store the data and then pass it around to the next query in the transaction without having to materialize that struct (or deal with concurrency issues as in the hash table approach mentioned earlier) .

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why not use a temp table?

Right, or as Adrian and I pointed out, use a CTE (WITH) query, which will materialize any results you want for the query.  Perhaps if you give us a working, reproducible, self contained example of what you expect we can help you better.

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
However this only works if a is an unique attribute in the table that would help us to identify tuples that participated in the join. Consider the following join:

insert into table3 (id, level, empname, salary)
(select  t0.cid, t0.level, t1.empname, t2.salary from table0 t0, table1 t1, table2 t2 where t0.cid = t1.cid and t1.pid = t2.pid);

Now if I want to delete those tuples from table2 that satisfied the join condition, I need to execute the join again with additional attributes.

Or just add pid to table3...
Also note that based on query plan, i.e. whether table0 and table1 were joined first followed by table1 and table2, we have to execute one additional join to get the tuples in table2 that satisfied the join condition (t1.pid = t2.pid).

???
Getting that information while the query is executed may not be difficult. There are other use cases in my application that require me to transfer the data from one query to the next within a transaction.

There may be some that benefit to some degree but its likely that you can write the application and queries in such a way to avoid a hard requirement.

Thus, what I'm looking for here is way to store the information and then pass that information to the next query efficiently.
For example, is it possible to define a struct of my choice, private to the current transaction, that would store the data and then pass it around to the next query in the transaction without having to materialize that struct (or deal with concurrency issues as in the hash table approach mentioned earlier) .

How much development and maintenance effort are you willing to spend here to gain what is likely to amount to only a bit of efficiency?  Many things are possible if you are going to modify the server code but why add grief?

David J.

Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От
Souvik Bhattacherjee
Дата:
Or just add pid to table3...

> That's an application requirement. So pid cannot be added at will to table3.

How much development and maintenance effort are you willing to spend here to gain what is likely to amount to only a bit of efficiency?  Many things are possible if you are going to modify the server code but why add grief?

> How much development / maintenance effort do you anticipate for implementing this feature? This is something that my application would need so I'm willing to dedicate some time to it.

By the way, I figured that the hash table deallocation issue could be resolved (although in an inefficient way) by serializing the data to a string and then copying that value into the hash table during insertion. However the hash table is still visible to all the transactions I suppose and as a result needs to be locked. Just wanted to let you know that I have initialized the hash table within the PostgresMain() method and the hash table is declared as an extern variable, which I anticipate to be accessed by many methods. How difficult is it to make a hash table (or any data structure) private to the current transaction so that I do not have to resort to locking?

-SB