Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction

От Souvik Bhattacherjee
Тема Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction
Дата
Re: Method to pass data between queries in a multi-statement transaction  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Michel.

However this only works if a is an unique attribute in the table that would help us to identify tuples that participated in the join. Consider the following join:

insert into table3 (id, level, empname, salary)
(select  t0.cid, t0.level, t1.empname, t2.salary from table0 t0, table1 t1, table2 t2 where t0.cid = t1.cid and t1.pid = t2.pid);

Now if I want to delete those tuples from table2 that satisfied the join condition, I need to execute the join again with additional attributes. Also note that based on query plan, i.e. whether table0 and table1 were joined first followed by table1 and table2, we have to execute one additional join to get the tuples in table2 that satisfied the join condition (t1.pid = t2.pid).

Getting that information while the query is executed may not be difficult. There are other use cases in my application that require me to transfer the data from one query to the next within a transaction.

Thus, what I'm looking for here is way to store the information and then pass that information to the next query efficiently.
For example, is it possible to define a struct of my choice, private to the current transaction, that would store the data and then pass it around to the next query in the transaction without having to materialize that struct (or deal with concurrency issues as in the hash table approach mentioned earlier) .

-SB

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:47 PM Michel Pelletier <pelletier.michel@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM Souvik Bhattacherjee <kivuosb@gmail.com> wrote:
> What if I need the result of the join to be stored into table3 as well as the tuples that participated in the query to be deleted from table1. The following can be done without the need to transfer values from the previous query into the next:

begin;
insert into table3 (id, attr1, attr2) (select t1.cid, t1.empname, t2.dept from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
delete from table1 where cid in (select c.cid from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.cid = t2.cid);
commit;

You can use INSERT...RETURNING in a WITH query:

postgres=# create table foo (a integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table bar (b integer);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into bar values (42);
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# with i as (insert into foo values (42) returning a) delete from bar where b = (select a from i);
DELETE 1

-Michel