Обсуждение: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

От
PG Bug reporting form
Дата:

Bug reference:      15768
Logged by:          Matt Harter
Email address:      matt.harter@genesys.com
PostgreSQL version: 10.6
Operating system:   Amazon Linux

Amazon linux does not have /etc/redhat-release and our pipelines are broken
because the repositories we were using to add to yum are no longer there
without requiring /etc/redhat-release.  We are a CI/CD system so manually
adding this is not an option.

Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:20:45PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      15768
> Logged by:          Matt Harter
> Email address:      matt.harter@genesys.com
> PostgreSQL version: 10.6
> Operating system:   Amazon Linux
>
> Amazon linux does not have /etc/redhat-release and our pipelines are broken
> because the repositories we were using to add to yum are no longer there
> without requiring /etc/redhat-release.  We are a CI/CD system so manually
> adding this is not an option.

Uh, can you show us what you are running and the error?  I think this is
a packaging issue, but am unsure.

Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 12:20 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> Amazon linux does not have /etc/redhat-release and our pipelines are broken
> because the repositories we were using to add to yum are no longer there
> without requiring /etc/redhat-release.  We are a CI/CD system so manually
> adding this is not an option.

Amazon Linux support was removed years ago actually. I just made sure that our
repo file reflects that.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

От
Matt Harter
Дата:
Well whether or not it is officially supported, it still works on amazon linux, and since their default repositories
arebehind on postgres (which of course is really an amazon limitation) we have to manually add the repository.  Since
therecent change that added a required dependency (which is clearly NOT required for amazon linux), our previously
workingdeploy pipelines are now blocked/broken.  We have temporarily mitigated the issue by using rpm and explicitly
ignoringthe repositories dependencies, but that seems like a band-aid fix for the real problem which is that dependency
shouldn’tbe there.  Why does a repository need to enforce the os it is on?  If a consumer wants to do something “wrong”
oragainst the documented way to do things, their issues are their problem.

On 4/18/19, 4:07 AM, "Devrim Gündüz" <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 12:20 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
    > Amazon linux does not have /etc/redhat-release and our pipelines are broken
    > because the repositories we were using to add to yum are no longer there
    > without requiring /etc/redhat-release.  We are a CI/CD system so manually
    > adding this is not an option.

    Amazon Linux support was removed years ago actually. I just made sure that our
    repo file reflects that.

    Devrim Gündüz
    Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Apr-18, Matt Harter wrote:

> Well whether or not it is officially supported, it still works on amazon linux, and since their default repositories
arebehind on postgres (which of course is really an amazon limitation) we have to manually add the repository.  Since
therecent change that added a required dependency (which is clearly NOT required for amazon linux), our previously
workingdeploy pipelines are now blocked/broken.  We have temporarily mitigated the issue by using rpm and explicitly
ignoringthe repositories dependencies, but that seems like a band-aid fix for the real problem which is that dependency
shouldn’tbe there.  Why does a repository need to enforce the os it is on?  If a consumer wants to do something “wrong”
oragainst the documented way to do things, their issues are their problem.

I agree, and adding such a dep sounds like a strange change to make.
What was the rationale for that?

Re: BUG #15768: Removed rpms and now require /etc/redhat-release

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 11:18 +0000, Matt Harter wrote:
> Why does a repository need to enforce the os it is on?

I have no intention to support a distro that I never ever test. That means, I
enforce what I test.

No intention to support Amazon Linux, actually, due to bad experiences in the
past. Like I am almost about to drop SLES support for the same reason.