Обсуждение: Running postgresql databases in Docker

Running postgresql databases in Docker

От
M Jane
Дата:
Hi everyone,
I am investigating using Docker for our Postgresql databases and I have rad a lot of oppinions on forums.
The main thing that comes up is how to persist the data, and that it is not advised to run production with docker.
I would like your advise.
What is your experience with Docker and databases?
What is the best practise to do this?
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
regards,
Marian

Re: Running postgresql databases in Docker

От
Evan Bauer
Дата:
Docker can certainly work, but for any kind of production application don’t keep the storage inside of the containers.
Takea look at the approach Crunchy Data (crunchydata.com) has done in their Kubernetes orchestrator for PostgreSQL
clustersas a solid implementation example.  Sarah Conway good a good presentation at PostgresOpn SV last September, it
maybe online somewhere.

Cheers,

- Evan

Evan Bauer
eb@evanbauer.com
+1 646 641 2973
Skype: evanbauer

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 04:28, M Jane <mskiesewetter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I am investigating using Docker for our Postgresql databases and I have rad a lot of oppinions on forums.
> The main thing that comes up is how to persist the data, and that it is not advised to run production with docker.
> I would like your advise.
> What is your experience with Docker and databases?
> What is the best practise to do this?
> Your help is much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> regards,
> Marian

Re: Running postgresql databases in Docker

От
M Jane
Дата:
Hi Evan,

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.
regards,
Marian

Docker can certainly work, but for any kind of production application don’t keep the storage inside of the containers.  Take a look at the approach Crunchy Data (crunchydata.com) has done in their Kubernetes orchestrator for PostgreSQL clusters as a solid implementation example.  Sarah Conway good a good presentation at PostgresOpn SV last September, it may be online somewhere.

Cheers,

- Evan

Evan Bauer
eb@evanbauer.com
+1 646 641 2973
Skype: evanbauer

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 04:28, M Jane <mskiesewetter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I am investigating using Docker for our Postgresql databases and I have rad a lot of oppinions on forums.
> The main thing that comes up is how to persist the data, and that it is not advised to run production with docker.
> I would like your advise.
> What is your experience with Docker and databases?
> What is the best practise to do this?
> Your help is much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> regards,
> Marian

Re: Running postgresql databases in Docker

От
Rafia Sabih

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 16:47, M Jane <mskiesewetter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Evan,
>
> Thanks for the info. I will look into that.
> regards,
> Marian

Hi Marian,

If you are on that topic, I would like to bring your attention on Zalando's Postgresql with Kubernetes infrastructure as well. You may have a look at Zalando tech blog, you may also find their GitHub repositories for their open sourced tools as well. Much of their business is based on this infrastructure so I am sure it is something quite functional and cool.

> Op do 21 mrt. 2019 om 16:10 schreef Evan Bauer <evanbauer@mac.com>:
>>
>> Docker can certainly work, but for any kind of production application don’t keep the storage inside of the containers.  Take a look at the approach Crunchy Data (crunchydata.com) has done in their Kubernetes orchestrator for PostgreSQL clusters as a solid implementation example.  Sarah Conway good a good presentation at PostgresOpn SV last September, it may be online somewhere.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Evan
>>
>> Evan Bauer
>> eb@evanbauer.com
>> +1 646 641 2973
>> Skype: evanbauer
>>

>> > On Mar 21, 2019, at 04:28, M Jane <mskiesewetter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi everyone,
>> > I am investigating using Docker for our Postgresql databases and I have rad a lot of oppinions on forums.
>> > The main thing that comes up is how to persist the data, and that it is not advised to run production with docker.
>> > I would like your advise.
>> > What is your experience with Docker and databases?
>> > What is the best practise to do this?
>> > Your help is much appreciated.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > regards,