Обсуждение: psql show URL with help

psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
As mentioned on

https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/looking-at-mysql-8-with-postgresql-goggles-on/

how about this:

=> \h analyze
Command:     ANALYZE
Syntax:
ANALYZE [ ( option [, ...] ) ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]

where option can be one of:

    VERBOSE
    SKIP_LOCKED

and table_and_columns is:

    table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]

^^^^

(Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Pavel Stehule

ANALYZE [ ( option [, ...] ) ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]

where option can be one of:

    VERBOSE
    SKIP_LOCKED

and table_and_columns is:

    table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]

^^^^

(Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)

Why not? It can be useful

Pavel

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> čt 21. 2. 2019 v 18:28 odesílatel Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> napsal:
>>
>> As mentioned on
>>
>> https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/looking-at-mysql-8-with-postgresql-goggles-on/
>>
>> how about this:
>>
>> => \h analyze
>> Command:     ANALYZE
>> Syntax:
>> ANALYZE [ ( option [, ...] ) ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
>> ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
>>
>> where option can be one of:
>>
>>     VERBOSE
>>     SKIP_LOCKED
>>
>> and table_and_columns is:
>>
>>     table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]

>> ^^^^
>>
>> (Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
>> but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)
>

> Why not? It can be useful

Or just use the devel version for not-released-yet versions?

Re: psql show URL with help

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 06:28:09PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> As mentioned on
>
> https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/looking-at-mysql-8-with-postgresql-goggles-on/
>
> how about this:
>
> => \h analyze
> Command:     ANALYZE
> Syntax:
> ANALYZE [ ( option [, ...] ) ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
> ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
>
> where option can be one of:
>
>     VERBOSE
>     SKIP_LOCKED
>
> and table_and_columns is:
>
>     table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]

> ^^^^
>
> (Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
> but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)

Since there's no longer any mystery as to what the upcoming major
version of PostgreSQL will be, it should be pretty straightforward to
redirect integers > max(released version) to the devel docs.

This could cause some confusion because we branch long (feature- and
bug-wise) before we do the release, and a checkout from immediately
after branching will be *very* different from one just before the
release. The way I've come up with to clear this up is *way* too
expensive: lazily create doc builds for each SHA1 requested.  Pointing
people at the latest devel docs is less confusing than pointing them
at nothing or at the previous version, those being, as far as I can
tell, the viable alternatives.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Magnus Hagander

ANALYZE [ ( option [, ...] ) ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]
ANALYZE [ VERBOSE ] [ table_and_columns [, ...] ]

where option can be one of:

    VERBOSE
    SKIP_LOCKED

and table_and_columns is:

    table_name [ ( column_name [, ...] ) ]

^^^^

I've had doing this on my TODO for a few years, but never managed to get around to it. So strong +1 for the idea :)

(Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)

Why not just link to /devel/ when it's a devel version? The 12 docs will be up alongside the first beta version, so it should be perfectly possible to have it do that based on information from configure, no?

--

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
Em qui, 21 de fev de 2019 às 14:28, Peter Eisentraut
<peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> escreveu:

> ^^^^

What happen if I connect to an old server? Did it print URL according
to psql version or server version? psql prints help about its version
and if user wants details about a command, clicks in the URL but what
is shown is 12 docs but user is accessing a 9.4 server. Ops... the
command failed. Check the URL again but... wait it is not 9.4 docs.
There is also the case that some commands don't exist on old versions
but URL will be printed. IMHO URL should be printed iif psql version
is the same as server version. If we want flexibility, let's add an
option to enable URL exhibition (always/same) that defaults to same.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-02-22 15:37, Euler Taveira wrote:
> Em qui, 21 de fev de 2019 às 14:28, Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> escreveu:
>> ^^^^
>>
> What happen if I connect to an old server? Did it print URL according
> to psql version or server version? psql prints help about its version
> and if user wants details about a command, clicks in the URL but what
> is shown is 12 docs but user is accessing a 9.4 server. Ops... the
> command failed. Check the URL again but... wait it is not 9.4 docs.

Well, the help that currently displays is also hardcoded to the psql
version.  At least this way it would indicate in the URL that it might
pertain to a different version.

Re: psql show URL with help

Дата:
Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> writes:
> Em qui, 21 de fev de 2019 às 14:28, Peter Eisentraut
> <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> escreveu:

> What happen if I connect to an old server? Did it print URL according
> to psql version or server version? psql prints help about its version
> and if user wants details about a command, clicks in the URL but what
> is shown is 12 docs but user is accessing a 9.4 server.

The syntax summary that psql is showing is for its own version, and
I'd say the URL must be too.  You can't even be sure that a corresponding
URL would exist in another version, so blindly inserting the server's
major version into a URL string that psql has doesn't seem like a bright
idea.

(I'm assuming that the implementation Peter has in mind is that these
URLs would just be part of the prefab help text that psql has for
various commands.  If we somehow involved the server in it, then
maybe things could be different; but I doubt that's possible without
a protocol change, which it's probably not worth.)

In the end, if you are using a server version that's different from
your psql version, there are lots of ways things could go wrong.
I think it's up to the user to take psql's help with a grain of salt
in such cases.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Euler Taveira
Дата:
Em sex, 22 de fev de 2019 às 11:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> escreveu:

> The syntax summary that psql is showing is for its own version, and
> I'd say the URL must be too.  You can't even be sure that a corresponding
> URL would exist in another version, so blindly inserting the server's
> major version into a URL string that psql has doesn't seem like a bright
> idea.

I'm not suggesting that we replace version number using the latest
version URL. However, we could prevent URL to be shown if the version
mismatch. If psql wasn't backward compatible we shouldn't care but it
is. Someone could be confused as I said earlier.

--
   Euler Taveira                                   Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/

Re: psql show URL with help

Дата:
Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> writes:
> I'm not suggesting that we replace version number using the latest
> version URL. However, we could prevent URL to be shown if the version
> mismatch. If psql wasn't backward compatible we shouldn't care but it
> is. Someone could be confused as I said earlier.

I tend to agree with Peter that showing the URL is actually better
than not doing so, in such a case --- it might remind the user
which version the help text is for.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-02-21 18:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> => \h analyze

> ^^^^

Here is a patch.

It doesn't deal with the "devel" paths yet.  Discussion there is still
ongoing a bit.

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-02-22 12:07, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     (Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
>     but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)
>

> Why not just link to /devel/ when it's a devel version? The 12 docs will
> be up alongside the first beta version, so it should be perfectly
> possible to have it do that based on information from configure, no?

Why not just serve /12/ from the web site earlier?  Is there a reason
not to?

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Pavel Stehule

On 2019-02-22 12:07, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     (Won't actually work because the web site isn't serving "12" URLs yet,
>     but that's something that could probably be sorted out.)
>

> Why not just link to /devel/ when it's a devel version? The 12 docs will
> be up alongside the first beta version, so it should be perfectly
> possible to have it do that based on information from configure, no?

Why not just serve /12/ from the web site earlier?  Is there a reason
not to?

I had same idea. The fact so this version is development version, can be solved by some styles.

But a URL should be stable.

Regards

Pavel

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-02-25 12:05, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-02-21 18:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> => \h analyze

>> ^^^^
>
> Here is a patch.
>
> It doesn't deal with the "devel" paths yet.  Discussion there is still
> ongoing a bit.

A new patch that now handles the "devel" part.  Seems easy enough.

Re: psql show URL with help

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 09:14:59AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> +                    url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> +                                   strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") ? "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> +                                   QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);

Do we need to make sure that the docs are published under the major
version as soon as we get to alpha, or do we need something more like
this?

    url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
            (strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") || strstr(PG_VERSION, "beta") ||
             strstr(PG_VERSION, "alpha")) : "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
            QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Ramanarayana
Дата:
Hi,
Is there any documentation change required for this patch?
Cheers
Ram 4.0

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Magnus Hagander

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:14 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 09:14:59AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> +                                     url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> +                                                                strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") ? "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> +                                                                QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);

Do we need to make sure that the docs are published under the major
version as soon as we get to alpha, or do we need something more like
this?

    url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
            (strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") || strstr(PG_VERSION, "beta") ||
             strstr(PG_VERSION, "alpha")) : "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
            QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);

We don't really release alphas any more. And we do load the documentation alongside the betas. (Last time we did an alpha was so long ago I don't remember if we loaded docs)

--

Re: psql show URL with help

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 09:57:25PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:14 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 09:14:59AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > +                                     url = psprintf("
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> > > +
> > strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") ? "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> > > +
> > QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >
> > Do we need to make sure that the docs are published under the major
> > version as soon as we get to alpha, or do we need something more like
> > this?
> >
> >     url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> >             (strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") || strstr(PG_VERSION, "beta") ||
> >              strstr(PG_VERSION, "alpha")) : "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> >             QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >

> We don't really release alphas any more. And we do load the documentation
> alongside the betas. (Last time we did an alpha was so long ago I don't
> remember if we loaded docs)

If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
(beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of looking
for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
and use that.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Magnus Hagander

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:48 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 09:57:25PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:14 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 09:14:59AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > +                                     url = psprintf("
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> > > +
> > strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") ? "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> > > +
> > QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >
> > Do we need to make sure that the docs are published under the major
> > version as soon as we get to alpha, or do we need something more like
> > this?
> >
> >     url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> >             (strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") || strstr(PG_VERSION, "beta") ||
> >              strstr(PG_VERSION, "alpha")) : "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> >             QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >

> We don't really release alphas any more. And we do load the documentation
> alongside the betas. (Last time we did an alpha was so long ago I don't
> remember if we loaded docs)

If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
(beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of looking
for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
and use that.

Well, alpha versions do go under the numeric URL. Whether we load the docs at that time or not we can just choose -- but there is no reason not to. So yeah, that sounds like it would work better.

--

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-03-04 17:55, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
>     (beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
>     number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of looking
>     for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
>     and use that.
>

> Well, alpha versions do go under the numeric URL. Whether we load the
> docs at that time or not we can just choose -- but there is no reason
> not to. So yeah, that sounds like it would work better.

Can you put your proposal in the form of some logical pseudocode?  I
don't understand the free-form description.

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On 2019-03-04 17:55, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>     If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
>     (beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
>     number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of looking
>     for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
>     and use that.
>

> Well, alpha versions do go under the numeric URL. Whether we load the
> docs at that time or not we can just choose -- but there is no reason
> not to. So yeah, that sounds like it would work better.

Can you put your proposal in the form of some logical pseudocode?  I
don't understand the free-form description.

Hah, sorry. It's actually Davids proposal, but something like:

if (psql_version_is_numeric)
 return /docs/psql_version/
else if (psql_version ends with 'devel')
  return /docs/devel/
else
  return /docs/{psql_version but with text stripped}/

So that e.g. 12beta would return "12", as would 12rc or 12alpha. But 12devel would return "devel".

--

Re: psql show URL with help

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 11:44:07AM -0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 11:41 PM Peter Eisentraut <
> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2019-03-04 17:55, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > >     If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
> > >     (beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
> > >     number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of
> > looking
> > >     for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
> > >     and use that.
> > >

> > > Well, alpha versions do go under the numeric URL. Whether we load the
> > > docs at that time or not we can just choose -- but there is no reason
> > > not to. So yeah, that sounds like it would work better.
> >
> > Can you put your proposal in the form of some logical pseudocode?  I
> > don't understand the free-form description.
> >

> Hah, sorry. It's actually Davids proposal, but something like:
>
> if (psql_version_is_numeric)
>  return /docs/psql_version/
> else if (psql_version ends with 'devel')
>   return /docs/devel/
> else
>   return /docs/{psql_version but with text stripped}/
>
> So that e.g. 12beta would return "12", as would 12rc or 12alpha. But
> 12devel would return "devel".

That's exactly what I had in mind :)

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-03-07 23:02, David Fetter wrote:
>> if (psql_version_is_numeric)
>>  return /docs/psql_version/
>> else if (psql_version ends with 'devel')
>>   return /docs/devel/
>> else
>>   return /docs/{psql_version but with text stripped}/
>>
>> So that e.g. 12beta would return "12", as would 12rc or 12alpha. But
>> 12devel would return "devel".
>
> That's exactly what I had in mind :)

The outcome of that is exactly what my patch does, but the inputs are
different.  We have PG_MAJORVERSION, which is always a single integer,
and PG_VERSION, which could be 10.9.8 or 11beta5 or 12devel.  The patch does

if (PG_VERSION ends with 'devel')
  return /docs/devel/
else
 return /docs/$PG_MAJORVERSION/

There is no third case.  Your third case of not-numeric-and-not-devel is
correctly covered by the else branch.

Re: psql show URL with help

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 01:45:03PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-03-07 23:02, David Fetter wrote:
> >> if (psql_version_is_numeric)
> >>  return /docs/psql_version/
> >> else if (psql_version ends with 'devel')
> >>   return /docs/devel/
> >> else
> >>   return /docs/{psql_version but with text stripped}/
> >>
> >> So that e.g. 12beta would return "12", as would 12rc or 12alpha. But
> >> 12devel would return "devel".
> >
> > That's exactly what I had in mind :)
>
> The outcome of that is exactly what my patch does, but the inputs are
> different.  We have PG_MAJORVERSION, which is always a single integer,
> and PG_VERSION, which could be 10.9.8 or 11beta5 or 12devel.  The patch does
>
> if (PG_VERSION ends with 'devel')
>   return /docs/devel/
> else
>  return /docs/$PG_MAJORVERSION/
>
> There is no third case.  Your third case of not-numeric-and-not-devel is
> correctly covered by the else branch.

Thanks for helping me understand.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: psql show URL with help

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 2019-03-08 16:11, David Fetter wrote:
>> The outcome of that is exactly what my patch does, but the inputs are
>> different.  We have PG_MAJORVERSION, which is always a single integer,
>> and PG_VERSION, which could be 10.9.8 or 11beta5 or 12devel.  The patch does
>>
>> if (PG_VERSION ends with 'devel')
>>   return /docs/devel/
>> else
>>  return /docs/$PG_MAJORVERSION/
>>
>> There is no third case.  Your third case of not-numeric-and-not-devel is
>> correctly covered by the else branch.
>
> Thanks for helping me understand.

Committed, thanks.