Обсуждение: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hello

We increased bgwriter_lru_maxpages limit in 10 release [1]. Docs now are changed correctly but in REL_10_STABLE
postgresql.conf.samplewe still have comment "0-1000 max buffers written/round".

Master (and REL_11_STABLE) was updated later in 611fe7d4793ba6516e839dc50b5319b990283f4f, but not REL_10. I think we
needbackpatch this line.

* http://postgr.es/m/f6e58a22-030b-eb8a-5457-f62fb08d701c@BlueTreble.com

regards, Sergei
Вложения

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:53 AM Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:
> We increased bgwriter_lru_maxpages limit in 10 release [1]. Docs now are changed correctly but in REL_10_STABLE
postgresql.conf.samplewe still have comment "0-1000 max buffers written/round".

> Master (and REL_11_STABLE) was updated later in 611fe7d4793ba6516e839dc50b5319b990283f4f, but not REL_10. I think we
needbackpatch this line.

I'm a bit reluctant to whack postgresql.conf around in back-branches
because sometimes that makes funny things happen when somebody
upgrades, e.g. via RPM.  I don't remember exactly what happens but I
think typically either the new file overwrites the existing file which
gets moved to something like postgresql.conf.rpmsave or the new file
is written into postgresql.conf.rpmnew instead of the original
location.  I don't think it's worth making stuff like that happen for
the sake of a comment.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hello

> I'm a bit reluctant to whack postgresql.conf around in back-branches
> because sometimes that makes funny things happen when somebody
> upgrades, e.g. via RPM.

If i remember correctly both deb and rpm packages will ask user about config difference.
But good point, comment change is too small difference. I am a bit late, good time for such change was before last
minorrelease (we add data_sync_retry and config was changed anyway).

regards, Sergei

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

Дата:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:54:25PM +0300, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
> > I'm a bit reluctant to whack postgresql.conf around in back-branches
> > because sometimes that makes funny things happen when somebody
> > upgrades, e.g. via RPM.
>
> If i remember correctly both deb and rpm packages will ask user about config difference.
> But good point, comment change is too small difference. I am a bit late, good time for such change was before last
minorrelease (we add data_sync_retry and config was changed anyway).

The other issue is that you will change share/postgresql.conf.sample,
but not $PGDATA/postgresql.conf until initdb is run, meaning if someone
diffs the two files, they will see differences that they did not make.
Making defaults more accurate is not worth that confusion.

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hello

postgresql.conf.sample was changed recently in REL_10_STABLE (commit ab1d9f066aee4f9b81abde6136771debe0191ae8)
So config will be changed in next minor release anyway. We have another reason to not fix bgwriter_lru_maxpages
comment?

regards, Sergei

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

Дата:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:28:44AM +0300, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
> postgresql.conf.sample was changed recently in REL_10_STABLE (commit ab1d9f066aee4f9b81abde6136771debe0191ae8)
> So config will be changed in next minor release anyway. We have another reason to not fix bgwriter_lru_maxpages
comment?

Frankly, I was surprised postgresql.conf.sample was changed in a back
branch since it will cause people who diff $PGDATA/postgresql.conf with
share/postgresql.conf.sample to see differences they didn't make.

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Mar-04, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:28:44AM +0300, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > postgresql.conf.sample was changed recently in REL_10_STABLE (commit ab1d9f066aee4f9b81abde6136771debe0191ae8)
> > So config will be changed in next minor release anyway. We have another reason to not fix bgwriter_lru_maxpages
comment?

> Frankly, I was surprised postgresql.conf.sample was changed in a back
> branch since it will cause people who diff $PGDATA/postgresql.conf with
> share/postgresql.conf.sample to see differences they didn't make.

I think the set of people that execute diffs of their production conf
file against the sample file to be pretty small -- maybe even empty.  If
you're really interested in knowing the changes you've done, you're more
likely to use a version control system on the file anyway.

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

Дата:
On Tue, Mar  5, 2019 at 12:24:14AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Mar-04, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:28:44AM +0300, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > postgresql.conf.sample was changed recently in REL_10_STABLE (commit ab1d9f066aee4f9b81abde6136771debe0191ae8)
> > > So config will be changed in next minor release anyway. We have another reason to not fix bgwriter_lru_maxpages
comment?

> > Frankly, I was surprised postgresql.conf.sample was changed in a back
> > branch since it will cause people who diff $PGDATA/postgresql.conf with
> > share/postgresql.conf.sample to see differences they didn't make.
>
> I think the set of people that execute diffs of their production conf
> file against the sample file to be pretty small -- maybe even empty.  If
> you're really interested in knowing the changes you've done, you're more
> likely to use a version control system on the file anyway.

Well, if this is true, then we should all agree to backpatch to
postgresql.conf.sample more often.

Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От
Sergei Kornilov
Дата:
Hello

Well, actually we change postgresql.conf.sample in back-branches. Recently was yet another commit in REL_10_STABLE:
fea2cab70de8d190762996c7c447143fb47bcfa3
I think we need fix incosistent comment for bgwriter_lru_maxpages

regards, Sergei