Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: bgwriter_lru_maxpages limits in PG 10 sample conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:54:25PM +0300, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
> > I'm a bit reluctant to whack postgresql.conf around in back-branches
> > because sometimes that makes funny things happen when somebody
> > upgrades, e.g. via RPM.
>
> If i remember correctly both deb and rpm packages will ask user about config difference.
> But good point, comment change is too small difference. I am a bit late, good time for such change was before last
minorrelease (we add data_sync_retry and config was changed anyway).

The other issue is that you will change share/postgresql.conf.sample,
but not $PGDATA/postgresql.conf until initdb is run, meaning if someone
diffs the two files, they will see differences that they did not make.
Making defaults more accurate is not worth that confusion.