Обсуждение: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
Dear,
Some of you can help me understand this.

This query plan is executed in the query below (query 9 of TPC-H
Benchmark, with scale 40, database with approximately 40 gb).

The experiment consisted of running the query on a HDD (Raid zero).
Then the same query is executed on an SSD (Raid Zero).

Why did the HDD (7200 rpm)  perform better?
HDD - TIME 9 MINUTES
SSD - TIME 15 MINUTES

As far as I know, the SSD has a reading that is 300 times faster than SSD.

--- Execution  Plans---
ssd 40g
https://explain.depesz.com/s/rHkh

hdd 40g
https://explain.depesz.com/s/l4sq

Query ------------------------------------

select
    nation,
    o_year,
    sum(amount) as sum_profit
from
    (
        select
            n_name as nation,
            extract(year from o_orderdate) as o_year,
            l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount) - ps_supplycost *
l_quantity as amount
        from
            part,
            supplier,
            lineitem,
            partsupp,
            orders,
            nation
        where
            s_suppkey = l_suppkey
            and ps_suppkey = l_suppkey
            and ps_partkey = l_partkey
            and p_partkey = l_partkey
            and o_orderkey = l_orderkey
            and s_nationkey = n_nationkey
            and p_name like '%orchid%'
    ) as profit
group by
    nation,
    o_year
order by
    nation,
    o_year desc

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Benjamin Scherrey
Дата:
What's the on disk cache size for each drive? The better HDD performance problem won't be sustained with large amounts of data and several different queries.

  - - Ben Scherrey

[...]

winston cheung

Can you show the configuration of postgresql.conf?
Query configuration method:
Select name, setting from pg_settings where name ~ 'buffers|cpu|^enable';

--
PostgreSQL DBA<br />

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Can you post make and model of the SSD concerned? In general the cheaper
consumer grade ones cannot do sustained read/writes at anything like
their quoted max values.

regards

Mark

On 17/07/18 17:00, Neto pr wrote:
> Dear,
> Some of you can help me understand this.
>
> This query plan is executed in the query below (query 9 of TPC-H
> Benchmark, with scale 40, database with approximately 40 gb).
>
> The experiment consisted of running the query on a HDD (Raid zero).
> Then the same query is executed on an SSD (Raid Zero).
>
> Why did the HDD (7200 rpm)  perform better?
> HDD - TIME 9 MINUTES
> SSD - TIME 15 MINUTES
>
> As far as I know, the SSD has a reading that is 300 times faster than SSD.
>
> --- Execution  Plans---
> ssd 40g
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/rHkh
>
> hdd 40g
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/l4sq
>
> Query ------------------------------------
>
> select
>      nation,
>      o_year,
>      sum(amount) as sum_profit
> from
>      (
>          select
>              n_name as nation,
>              extract(year from o_orderdate) as o_year,
>              l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount) - ps_supplycost *
> l_quantity as amount
>          from
>              part,
>              supplier,
>              lineitem,
>              partsupp,
>              orders,
>              nation
>          where
>              s_suppkey = l_suppkey
>              and ps_suppkey = l_suppkey
>              and ps_partkey = l_partkey
>              and p_partkey = l_partkey
>              and o_orderkey = l_orderkey
>              and s_nationkey = n_nationkey
>              and p_name like '%orchid%'
>      ) as profit
> group by
>      nation,
>      o_year
> order by
>      nation,
>      o_year desc

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Robert Zenz
Дата:
> Why did the HDD (7200 rpm)  perform better?

Are these different systems? Have you ruled out that during the HDD test the
data was available in memory?

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Fabio Pardi
Дата:
As already mentioned by Robert, please let us know if you made sure that
nothing was fished from RAM, over the faster test.

In other words, make sure that all caches are dropped between one test
and another.

Also,to better picture the situation, would be good to know:

- which SSD (brand/model) are you using?
- which HDD?
- how are the disks configured? RAID? or not?
- on which OS?
- what are the mount options? SSD requires tuning
- did you make sure that no other query was running at the time of the
bench?
- are you making a comparison on the same machine?
- is it HW or VM? benchs should better run on bare metal to avoid
results pollution (eg: other VMS on the same hypervisor using the disk,
host caching and so on)
- how many times did you run the tests?
- did you change postgres configuration over tests?
- can you post postgres config?
- what about vacuums or maintenance tasks running in the background?

Also, to benchmark disks i would not use a custom query but pgbench.

Be aware: running benchmarks is a science, therefore needs a scientific
approach :)

regards

fabio pardi

On 07/17/2018 07:00 AM, Neto pr wrote:
> Dear,
> Some of you can help me understand this.
>
> This query plan is executed in the query below (query 9 of TPC-H
> Benchmark, with scale 40, database with approximately 40 gb).
>
> The experiment consisted of running the query on a HDD (Raid zero).
> Then the same query is executed on an SSD (Raid Zero).
>
> Why did the HDD (7200 rpm)  perform better?
> HDD - TIME 9 MINUTES
> SSD - TIME 15 MINUTES
>
> As far as I know, the SSD has a reading that is 300 times faster than SSD.
>
> --- Execution  Plans---
> ssd 40g
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/rHkh
>
> hdd 40g
> https://explain.depesz.com/s/l4sq
>
> Query ------------------------------------
>
> select
>     nation,
>     o_year,
>     sum(amount) as sum_profit
> from
>     (
>         select
>             n_name as nation,
>             extract(year from o_orderdate) as o_year,
>             l_extendedprice * (1 - l_discount) - ps_supplycost *
> l_quantity as amount
>         from
>             part,
>             supplier,
>             lineitem,
>             partsupp,
>             orders,
>             nation
>         where
>             s_suppkey = l_suppkey
>             and ps_suppkey = l_suppkey
>             and ps_partkey = l_partkey
>             and p_partkey = l_partkey
>             and o_orderkey = l_orderkey
>             and s_nationkey = n_nationkey
>             and p_name like '%orchid%'
>     ) as profit
> group by
>     nation,
>     o_year
> order by
>     nation,
>     o_year desc

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
follows my response.
-------------

Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
(I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
- Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
- I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
- Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
(echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;

discs:
- 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
- 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)

- The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.

Best Regards
[ ]`s Neto

> [...]
>>         from
>>             part,
>>             supplier,
>>             lineitem,
>>             partsupp,
>>             orders,
>>             nation
>>         where
>>             s_suppkey = l_suppkey
>>             and ps_suppkey = l_suppkey
>>             and ps_partkey = l_partkey
>>             and p_partkey = l_partkey
>>             and o_orderkey = l_orderkey
>>             and s_nationkey = n_nationkey
>>             and p_name like '%orchid%'
>>     ) as profit
>> group by
>>     nation,
>>     o_year
>> order by
>>     nation,
>>     o_year desc

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

Дата:
> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
> follows my response.
> -------------
>
> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>
> discs:
> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>
> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.

One more information.
I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
Only exception is to :
random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1

> [...]
>>>         from
>>>             part,
>>>             supplier,
>>>             lineitem,
>>>             partsupp,
>>>             orders,
>>>             nation
>>>         where
>>>             s_suppkey = l_suppkey
>>>             and ps_suppkey = l_suppkey
>>>             and ps_partkey = l_partkey
>>>             and p_partkey = l_partkey
>>>             and o_orderkey = l_orderkey
>>>             and s_nationkey = n_nationkey
>>>             and p_name like '%orchid%'
>>>     ) as profit
>>> group by
>>>     nation,
>>>     o_year
>>> order by
>>>     nation,
>>>     o_year desc

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

Jeff Janes
Дата:
Some of you can help me understand this.

This query plan is executed in the query below (query 9 of TPC-H
Benchmark, with scale 40, database with approximately 40 gb).

The experiment consisted of running the query on a HDD (Raid zero).
Then the same query is executed on an SSD (Raid Zero).

Why did the HDD (7200 rpm)  perform better?
HDD - TIME 9 MINUTES
SSD - TIME 15 MINUTES

As far as I know, the SSD has a reading that is 300 times faster than SSD.

Is the 300 times faster comparing random to random, or sequential to sequential?  Maybe your SSD simply fails to perform as advertised.  This would not surprise me at all.

To remove some confounding variables, can you turn off parallelism and repeat the queries?  (Yes, they will probably get slower.  But is the relative timings still the same?)  Also, turn on track_io_timings and repeat the "EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS)", perhaps with TIMINGS OFF.

Also, see how long it takes to read the entire database, or just the largest table, outside of postgres.

Something like:

time tar -f - $PGDATA/base | wc -c

or

time cat $PGDATA/base/<database oid>/<large table file node>* | wc -c

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Nicolas Charles
Дата:
Hi Neto,

You should list the SSD model also - there are pleinty of Samsung EVO
drives - and they are not professional grade.

Among the the possible issues, the most likely (from my point of view) are:

- TRIM command doesn't go through the RAID (which is really likely) - so
the SSD controller think it's full, and keep pushing blocks around to
level wear, causing massive perf degradation - please check this config
on you RAID driver/adapter

- TRIM is not configured on the OS level for the SSD

- Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks

Without so little details on your system, we can only try to guess the
real issues

Nicolas

Nicolas CHARLES
Le 17/07/2018 à 15:19, Neto pr a écrit :
>> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
>> follows my response.
>> -------------
>>
>> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
>> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
>> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
>> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
>> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
>> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
>> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
>> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>
>> discs:
>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>
>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.
>>
> One more information.
> I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
> Only exception is to :
> random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1
>

>> Best Regards
>> [ ]`s Neto

>>> As already mentioned by Robert, please let us know if you made sure that
>>> nothing was fished from RAM, over the faster test.
>>>
>>> In other words, make sure that all caches are dropped between one test
>>> and another.
>>>
>>> Also,to better picture the situation, would be good to know:
>>>
>>> - which SSD (brand/model) are you using?
>>> - which HDD?
>>> - how are the disks configured? RAID? or not?
>>> - on which OS?
>>> - what are the mount options? SSD requires tuning
>>> - did you make sure that no other query was running at the time of the
>>> bench?
>>> - are you making a comparison on the same machine?
>>> - is it HW or VM? benchs should better run on bare metal to avoid
>>> results pollution (eg: other VMS on the same hypervisor using the disk,
>>> host caching and so on)
>>> - how many times did you run the tests?
>>> - did you change postgres configuration over tests?
>>> - can you post postgres config?
>>> - what about vacuums or maintenance tasks running in the background?
>>>
>>> Also, to benchmark disks i would not use a custom query but pgbench.
>>>
>>> Be aware: running benchmarks is a science, therefore needs a scientific
>>> approach :)
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> fabio pardi

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Robert Zenz
Дата:
On 17.07.2018 15:44, Nicolas Charles wrote:
> - Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks

Does that really make a noticeable difference? If yes, have you got some further
reading material on that?

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Fabio Pardi
Дата:
If you have a RAID cache, i would disable it, since we are only focusing
on the disks. Cache can give you inconsistent data (even it looks like
is not the case here).

Also, we can do a step backward, and exclude postgres from the picture
for the moment.

try to perform a dd test in reading from disk, and let us know.

like:

- create big_enough_file
- empty OS cache
- dd if=big_enough_file of=/dev/null

and post the results for both disks.

Also i think it makes not much sense testing on RAID 0. I would start
performing tests on a single disk, bypassing RAID (or, as mentioned, at
least disabling cache).

The findings should narrow the focus

regards,

fabio pardi

On 07/17/2018 03:19 PM, Neto pr wrote:
>> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
>> follows my response.
>> -------------
>>
>> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
>> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
>> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
>> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
>> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
>> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
>> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
>> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>
>> discs:
>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>
>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.
>>

> One more information.
> I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
> Only exception is to :
> random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1
>

>> Best Regards
>> [ ]`s Neto

>>> As already mentioned by Robert, please let us know if you made sure that
>>> nothing was fished from RAM, over the faster test.
>>>
>>> In other words, make sure that all caches are dropped between one test
>>> and another.
>>>
>>> Also,to better picture the situation, would be good to know:
>>>
>>> - which SSD (brand/model) are you using?
>>> - which HDD?
>>> - how are the disks configured? RAID? or not?
>>> - on which OS?
>>> - what are the mount options? SSD requires tuning
>>> - did you make sure that no other query was running at the time of the
>>> bench?
>>> - are you making a comparison on the same machine?
>>> - is it HW or VM? benchs should better run on bare metal to avoid
>>> results pollution (eg: other VMS on the same hypervisor using the disk,
>>> host caching and so on)
>>> - how many times did you run the tests?
>>> - did you change postgres configuration over tests?
>>> - can you post postgres config?
>>> - what about vacuums or maintenance tasks running in the background?
>>>
>>> Also, to benchmark disks i would not use a custom query but pgbench.
>>>
>>> Be aware: running benchmarks is a science, therefore needs a scientific
>>> approach :)
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> fabio pardi

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
> Hi Neto,
>
> You should list the SSD model also - there are pleinty of Samsung EVO drives
> - and they are not professional grade.
>
> Among the the possible issues, the most likely (from my point of view) are:
>
> - TRIM command doesn't go through the RAID (which is really likely) - so the
> SSD controller think it's full, and keep pushing blocks around to level
> wear, causing massive perf degradation - please check this config on you
> RAID driver/adapter
>
> - TRIM is not configured on the OS level for the SSD
>
> - Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks
>

> Without so little details on your system, we can only try to guess the real
> issues

Thank you Nicolas, for your tips.
I believe your assumption is right.

This SSD really is not professional, even if Samsung's advertisement
says yes. If I have to buy another SSD I will prefer INTEL SSDs.

I had a previous problem with it (Sansung EVO) as it lost in
performance to a SAS HDD, but however, the SAS HDD was a 12 Gb/s
transfer rate and the SSD was 6 Gb/s.

But now I tested against an HDD (7200 RPM) that has the same transfer
rate as the SSD 6 Gb/sec. and could not lose in performance.

Maybe it's the unconfigured trim.

Could you give me some help on how I could check if my RAID is
configured for this, I use Hardware RAID using HP software (HP Storage
Provider on boot).
And on Debian 8 Operating System, how could I check the TRIM configuration ?

Best
[]'s Neto

> Nicolas
>
> Nicolas CHARLES
>
> Le 17/07/2018 à 15:19, Neto pr a écrit :

>>> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
>>> follows my response.
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
>>> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
>>> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
>>> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
>>> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
>>> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
>>> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
>>> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
>>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>>
>>> discs:
>>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>>
>>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD
>>> disk.
>>>
>> One more information.
>> I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
>> Only exception is to :
>> random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1
>>

>>> Best Regards
>>> [ ]`s Neto

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
> If you have a RAID cache, i would disable it, since we are only focusing
> on the disks. Cache can give you inconsistent data (even it looks like
> is not the case here).
>
> Also, we can do a step backward, and exclude postgres from the picture
> for the moment.
>
> try to perform a dd test in reading from disk, and let us know.
>
> like:
>
> - create big_enough_file
> - empty OS cache
> - dd if=big_enough_file of=/dev/null
>
> and post the results for both disks.
>
> Also i think it makes not much sense testing on RAID 0. I would start
> performing tests on a single disk, bypassing RAID (or, as mentioned, at
> least disabling cache).

But in my case, both the 2 SSDs and the 2 HDDs are in RAID ZERO.
This way it would not be a valid test ? Because the 2 environments are
in RAID ZERO.

> The findings should narrow the focus
>

> regards,
>
> fabio pardi
>
> On 07/17/2018 03:19 PM, Neto pr wrote:
>>> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
>>> follows my response.
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
>>> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
>>> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
>>> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
>>> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
>>> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
>>> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
>>> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
>>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>>
>>> discs:
>>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>>
>>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.
>>>

>> One more information.
>> I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
>> Only exception is to :
>> random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1
>>

>>> Best Regards
>>> [ ]`s Neto

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Nicolas Charles
Дата:
Le 17/07/2018 à 15:50, Robert Zenz a écrit :
> On 17.07.2018 15:44, Nicolas Charles wrote:
>> - Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks
> Does that really make a noticeable difference? If yes, have you got some further
> reading material on that?

I was pretty sure it was, but looking at the litterature, it's not that
obvious. Especially
https://blog.pgaddict.com/posts/postgresql-performance-on-ext4-and-xfs
seems to mentions that it doesn't change a thing, while others stress
out that it is mandatory ( https://www.alibabacloud.com/forum/read-415,
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Partition_Alignment )
Even on mecanical drives it's been reported to cause slowdown (
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-linux-on-4kb-sector-disks/index.html
)

Maybe the OS are more clever now, making it not so important as before ?

Nicolas

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Nicolas Charles
Дата:
Le 17/07/2018 à 16:00, Neto pr a écrit :
>> Hi Neto,
>>
>> You should list the SSD model also - there are pleinty of Samsung EVO drives
>> - and they are not professional grade.
>>
>> Among the the possible issues, the most likely (from my point of view) are:
>>
>> - TRIM command doesn't go through the RAID (which is really likely) - so the
>> SSD controller think it's full, and keep pushing blocks around to level
>> wear, causing massive perf degradation - please check this config on you
>> RAID driver/adapter
>>
>> - TRIM is not configured on the OS level for the SSD
>>
>> - Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks
>>

>> Without so little details on your system, we can only try to guess the real
>> issues
>>
> Thank you Nicolas, for your tips.
> I believe your assumption is right.
>
> This SSD really is not professional, even if Samsung's advertisement
> says yes. If I have to buy another SSD I will prefer INTEL SSDs.
>
> I had a previous problem with it (Sansung EVO) as it lost in
> performance to a SAS HDD, but however, the SAS HDD was a 12 Gb/s
> transfer rate and the SSD was 6 Gb/s.
>
> But now I tested against an HDD (7200 RPM) that has the same transfer
> rate as the SSD 6 Gb/sec. and could not lose in performance.
>
> Maybe it's the unconfigured trim.
>
> Could you give me some help on how I could check if my RAID is
> configured for this, I use Hardware RAID using HP software (HP Storage
> Provider on boot).
> And on Debian 8 Operating System, how could I check the TRIM configuration ?
>
> Best
> []'s Neto

I'm no expert in HP system, but you can have a look at this thread and
referenced links
For the trim option in Debian, you need to define the mount options of
your partition, in /etc/fstab, to include "discard" (see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drive#Continuous_TRIM )

Regards,
Nicolas

On 07/17/2018 04:05 PM, Neto pr wrote:

>> Also i think it makes not much sense testing on RAID 0. I would start
>> performing tests on a single disk, bypassing RAID (or, as mentioned, at
>> least disabling cache).
>>

> But in my case, both the 2 SSDs and the 2 HDDs are in RAID ZERO.
> This way it would not be a valid test ? Because the 2 environments are
> in RAID ZERO.

in theory, probably yes and maybe not.
In RAID 0, data is (usually) striped in a round robin fashion, so you
should rely on the fact that, in average, data is spread 50% on each
disk. For the sake of knowledge, you can check what your RAID controller
is actually using as algorithm to spread data over RAID 0.

But you might be in an unlucky case in which more data is on one disk
than in another.
Unlucky or created by the events, like you deleted the records which are
on disk 0 and you only are querying those on disk 1, for instance.

The fact is, that more complexity you add to your test, the less the
results will be closer to your expectations.

Since you are testing disks, and not RAID, i would start empirically and
perform the test straight on 1 disk.
A simple test, like dd i mentioned here above.
If dd, or other more tailored tests on disks show that SSD is way slow,
then you can focus on tuning your disk. or trashing it :)

When you are satisfied with your results, you can build up complexity
from the reliable/consolidated level you reached.

As side note: why to run a test on a setup you can never use on production?

regards,

fabio pardi

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Ok, so dropping the cache is good.

How are you ensuring that you have one test setup on the HDDs and one on
the SSDs? i.e do you have 2 postgres instances? or are you using one
instance with tablespaces to locate the relevant tables? If the 2nd case
then you will get pollution of shared_buffers if you don't restart
between the HHD and SSD tests. If you have 2 instances then you need to
carefully check the parameters are set the same (and probably shut the
HDD instance down when testing the SSD etc).

I can see a couple of things in your setup that might pessimize the SDD
case:
- you have OS on the SSD - if you tests make the system swap then this
will wreck the SSD result
- you have RAID 0 SSD...some of the cheaper ones slow down when you do
this. maybe test with a single SSD

regards
Mark

On 18/07/18 01:04, Neto pr wrote (note snippage):
> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>
> discs:
> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>
> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
Yeah,

A +1 to telling us the model. In particular the later EVOs use TLC nand
with a small SLC cache... and when you exhaust the SLC cache the
performance can be worse than a HDD...

On 18/07/18 01:44, Nicolas Charles wrote:
> Hi Neto,
>
> You should list the SSD model also - there are pleinty of Samsung EVO
> drives - and they are not professional grade.
>
> Among the the possible issues, the most likely (from my point of view)
> are:
>
> - TRIM command doesn't go through the RAID (which is really likely) -
> so the SSD controller think it's full, and keep pushing blocks around
> to level wear, causing massive perf degradation - please check this
> config on you RAID driver/adapter
>
> - TRIM is not configured on the OS level for the SSD
>
> - Partitions is not correctly aligned on the SSD blocks
>

> Without so little details on your system, we can only try to guess the
> real issues
>

> Nicolas
>
> Nicolas CHARLES
> Le 17/07/2018 à 15:19, Neto pr a écrit :
>>> Sorry.. I replied in the wrong message before ...
>>> follows my response.
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
>>> This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
>>> (I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
>>> cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
>>> - Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
>>> - I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
>>> - Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
>>> System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
>>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>>
>>> discs:
>>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>>
>>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the
>>> SSD disk.
>>>
>> One more information.
>> I used default configuration to Postgresql.conf
>> Only exception is to :
>> random_page_cost on SSD is 1.1
>>

>>> Best Regards
>>> [ ]`s Neto

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
> Ok, so dropping the cache is good.
>
> How are you ensuring that you have one test setup on the HDDs and one on the
> SSDs? i.e do you have 2 postgres instances? or are you using one instance
> with tablespaces to locate the relevant tables? If the 2nd case then you
> will get pollution of shared_buffers if you don't restart between the HHD
> and SSD tests. If you have 2 instances then you need to carefully check the
> parameters are set the same (and probably shut the HDD instance down when
> testing the SSD etc).

Dear  Mark
To ensure that the test is honest and has the same configuration the
O.S. and also DBMS, my O.S. is installed on the SSD and DBMS as well.
I have an instance only of DBMS and two database.
- a database called tpch40gnorhdd with tablespace on the HDD disk.
- a database called tpch40gnorssd with tablespace on the SSD disk.
See below:

postgres=# \l
                List of databases
     Name      |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |
Access privileges
---------------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
 postgres      | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 template0     | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
=c/postgres          +
               |          |          |             |             |
postgres=CTc/postgres
 template1     | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
=c/postgres          +
               |          |          |             |             |
postgres=CTc/postgres
 tpch40gnorhdd | user1    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
 tpch40gnorssd | user1    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
(5 rows)

postgres=#

After 7 query execution in a database tpch40gnorhdd I restart the DBMS
(/etc/init.d/pg101norssd restart and drop cache of the O.S.) and go to
execution test with the database tpch40gnorssd.
You think in this case there is pollution of shared_buffers?
Why do you think having O.S. on SSD is bad? Do you could explain better?

Best regards
[]`s Neto

> I can see a couple of things in your setup that might pessimize the SDD
> case:
> - you have OS on the SSD - if you tests make the system swap then this will
> wreck the SSD result
> - you have RAID 0 SSD...some of the cheaper ones slow down when you do this.
> maybe test with a single SSD
>
> regards
> Mark
>
> On 18/07/18 01:04, Neto pr wrote (note snippage):
>
>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>
>> discs:
>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>
>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD
>> disk.

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:
>> Ok, so dropping the cache is good.
>>
>> How are you ensuring that you have one test setup on the HDDs and one on the
>> SSDs? i.e do you have 2 postgres instances? or are you using one instance
>> with tablespaces to locate the relevant tables? If the 2nd case then you
>> will get pollution of shared_buffers if you don't restart between the HHD
>> and SSD tests. If you have 2 instances then you need to carefully check the
>> parameters are set the same (and probably shut the HDD instance down when
>> testing the SSD etc).
>>
> Dear  Mark
> To ensure that the test is honest and has the same configuration the
> O.S. and also DBMS, my O.S. is installed on the SSD and DBMS as well.
> I have an instance only of DBMS and two database.
> - a database called tpch40gnorhdd with tablespace on the HDD disk.
> - a database called tpch40gnorssd with tablespace on the SSD disk.
> See below:
>
> postgres=# \l
>                 List of databases
>      Name      |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |
> Access privileges
> ---------------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
>  postgres      | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>  template0     | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =c/postgres          +
>                |          |          |             |             |
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  template1     | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =c/postgres          +
>                |          |          |             |             |
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  tpch40gnorhdd | user1    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>  tpch40gnorssd | user1    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> (5 rows)
>
> postgres=#
>
> After 7 query execution in a database tpch40gnorhdd I restart the DBMS
> (/etc/init.d/pg101norssd restart and drop cache of the O.S.) and go to
> execution test with the database tpch40gnorssd.
> You think in this case there is pollution of shared_buffers?
> Why do you think having O.S. on SSD is bad? Do you could explain better?
>
> Best regards
> []`s Neto

+1 information about EVO SSD Samsung:

 Model: 850 Evo 500 GB SATA III 6Gb/s -
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850evo/

>> I can see a couple of things in your setup that might pessimize the SDD
>> case:
>> - you have OS on the SSD - if you tests make the system swap then this will
>> wreck the SSD result
>> - you have RAID 0 SSD...some of the cheaper ones slow down when you do this.
>> maybe test with a single SSD
>>
>> regards
>> Mark
>>
>> On 18/07/18 01:04, Neto pr wrote (note snippage):
>>
>>> (echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;
>>>
>>> discs:
>>> - 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>> - 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
>>>
>>> - The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD
>>> disk.

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Neto pr
Дата:

> On 07/17/2018 04:05 PM, Neto pr wrote:
>
>>> Also i think it makes not much sense testing on RAID 0. I would start
>>> performing tests on a single disk, bypassing RAID (or, as mentioned, at
>>> least disabling cache).
>>>

>> But in my case, both the 2 SSDs and the 2 HDDs are in RAID ZERO.
>> This way it would not be a valid test ? Because the 2 environments are
>> in RAID ZERO.
>>

> in theory, probably yes and maybe not.
> In RAID 0, data is (usually) striped in a round robin fashion, so you
> should rely on the fact that, in average, data is spread 50% on each
> disk. For the sake of knowledge, you can check what your RAID controller
> is actually using as algorithm to spread data over RAID 0.
>
> But you might be in an unlucky case in which more data is on one disk
> than in another.
> Unlucky or created by the events, like you deleted the records which are
> on disk 0 and you only are querying those on disk 1, for instance.
>
> The fact is, that more complexity you add to your test, the less the
> results will be closer to your expectations.
>
> Since you are testing disks, and not RAID, i would start empirically and
> perform the test straight on 1 disk.
> A simple test, like dd i mentioned here above.
> If dd, or other more tailored tests on disks show that SSD is way slow,
> then you can focus on tuning your disk. or trashing it :)
>
> When you are satisfied with your results, you can build up complexity
> from the reliable/consolidated level you reached.
>
> As side note: why to run a test on a setup you can never use on production?
>
> regards,
>
> fabio pardi

Fabio, I understood and I agree with you about testing without RAID,
this way it would be easier to avoid problems unrelated to my test on
disks (SSD and HDD).

Can you just explain why you said it below?

"As side note: why to run a test on a setup you can never use on production?"

You think that a RAID ZERO configuration for a DBMS is little used?
Which one do you think would be good? I accept suggestions because I
am in the middle of a work for my
research of the postgraduate course and I can change the environment
to something that is more useful and really used in real production
environments.

Best Regards
[]`s Neto

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Fabio Pardi
Дата:
Hi Neto,

RAID 0 to store production data should never be used. Never a good idea, in my opinion.

Simple reason is that when you lose one disk, you lose everything.

If your goal is to bench the disk, go for single disk.

If you want to be closer to a production setup, go for RAID 10, or pick a RAID setup close to what your needs and
capabilitiesare (more reads? more writes? SSD? HDD? cache? ...? )

If you only have 2 disks, your obliged (redundant) choice is RAID 1.

regards,

fabio pardi

On 18/07/18 03:24, Neto pr wrote:

>> As side note: why to run a test on a setup you can never use on production?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> fabio pardi
>>

> Can you just explain why you said it below?
>
> "As side note: why to run a test on a setup you can never use on production?"
>
> You think that a RAID ZERO configuration for a DBMS is little used?
> Which one do you think would be good? I accept suggestions because I
> am in the middle of a work for my
> research of the postgraduate course and I can change the environment
> to something that is more useful and really used in real production
> environments.
>
> Best Regards
> []`s Neto

Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

От
Nicolas Charles
Дата:
[...]

postgres=# \l               List of databases    Name      |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |
[...]

As stated on his ML on january, Samsung 850 Evo is not a particularly fast SSD - especially it's not really consistent in term of performance ( see https://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review/5 and https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1913 ). This is not a product for professional usage, and you should not expect great performance from it - as reported by these benchmark, you can have a 34ms latency in very intensive usage:
ATSB - The Destroyer (99th Percentile Write Latency) 99th Percentile Latency in Microseconds - Lower is Better 34923

Even average write latency of the Samsung 850 Evo is 3,3 ms in intensive workload

Why are you using this type of SSD for your benchmark ? What do you plan to achieve ?