Обсуждение: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
Section "17.1.  Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK” in the
documentation has a subsection "Building the Documentation” which seems to list
a required toolchain which is out of date with information in the Documentation
appendix (it still lists OpenJade etc).

I don’t know anything about building on Windows so I might be off, but doesn’t
that need to be updated to match the new toolchain?

cheers ./daniel

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/28/18 12:17, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Section "17.1.  Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK” in the
> documentation has a subsection "Building the Documentation” which seems to list
> a required toolchain which is out of date with information in the Documentation
> appendix (it still lists OpenJade etc).
>
> I don’t know anything about building on Windows so I might be off, but doesn’t
> that need to be updated to match the new toolchain?

Yes, I had complained about this before, but nobody responded.  I can
review a new text, but I can't write it.

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 28 Jun 2018, at 12:39, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/28/18 12:17, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Section "17.1.  Building with Visual C++ or the Microsoft Windows SDK” in the
>> documentation has a subsection "Building the Documentation” which seems to list
>> a required toolchain which is out of date with information in the Documentation
>> appendix (it still lists OpenJade etc).
>>
>> I don’t know anything about building on Windows so I might be off, but doesn’t
>> that need to be updated to match the new toolchain?
>
> Yes, I had complained about this before, but nobody responded.  I can
> review a new text, but I can't write it.

Ah, my archive search skills are apparently lacking, thus the duplicate.

Looking at little more at this, the docs mention builddoc.bat which was
replaced in 2011 in favor of builddoc.pl.  This program in turn is using
openjade and is thus, I assume, not working anymore.

Unless someone steps up before 11 is rolled, maybe builddoc.pl should be made
into a exit immediately no-op since "nothing" is better than “broken”?

cheers ./daniel

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/28/18 13:19, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Unless someone steps up before 11 is rolled, maybe builddoc.pl should be made
> into a exit immediately no-op since "nothing" is better than “broken”?

I'm thinking, just delete the file and the documentation section.

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 29 Jun 2018, at 15:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/28/18 13:19, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Unless someone steps up before 11 is rolled, maybe builddoc.pl should be made
>> into a exit immediately no-op since "nothing" is better than “broken”?
>
> I'm thinking, just delete the file and the documentation section.

Well, that's a pretty decisive way to make it a no-op =) The attached patch
does that, along with a note in the relnotes to highlight the dropped support
which I think is warranted should we take this approach.

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 29.06.18 18:51, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 29 Jun 2018, at 15:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/28/18 13:19, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> Unless someone steps up before 11 is rolled, maybe builddoc.pl should be made
>>> into a exit immediately no-op since "nothing" is better than “broken”?
>>
>> I'm thinking, just delete the file and the documentation section.
>
> Well, that's a pretty decisive way to make it a no-op =) The attached patch
> does that, along with a note in the relnotes to highlight the dropped support
> which I think is warranted should we take this approach.

I have committed this to master now.  The scripts have already been
broken since PG10, so mentioning it in the PG11 release notes doesn't
seem appropriate.

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 13 Jul 2018, at 10:09, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 29.06.18 18:51, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> I'm thinking, just delete the file and the documentation section.
>>
>> Well, that's a pretty decisive way to make it a no-op =) The attached patch
>> does that, along with a note in the relnotes to highlight the dropped support
>> which I think is warranted should we take this approach.
>
> I have committed this to master now.  The scripts have already been
> broken since PG10, so mentioning it in the PG11 release notes doesn't
> seem appropriate.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

cheers ./daniel

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Michail Nikolaev
Дата:
Hello.

I have done the same on 23 Jan + additional docs on how to build documentation using Windows Linux Subsystem :)

It will be cool to include docs about WLS method.

Thanks,
Michail.

сб, 14 июл. 2018 г. в 1:24, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>:
> On 13 Jul 2018, at 10:09, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 29.06.18 18:51, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

>>> I'm thinking, just delete the file and the documentation section.
>>
>> Well, that's a pretty decisive way to make it a no-op =) The attached patch
>> does that, along with a note in the relnotes to highlight the dropped support
>> which I think is warranted should we take this approach.
>
> I have committed this to master now.  The scripts have already been
> broken since PG10, so mentioning it in the PG11 release notes doesn't
> seem appropriate.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

cheers ./daniel

Re: Documented toolchain for building docs on Windows

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:

check http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PATCH-Updating-documentation-about-bulding-documentation-in-Windows-tp6002394.html

> I have done the same on 23 Jan + additional docs on how to build
> documentation using Windows Linux Subsystem :)

It doesn't seem that that documentation is very much about how to build
the documentation on WLS.  It's just a description of how to set up a
PostgreSQL build environment under WLS and then ... see the Unix build
instructions.  That's nice, but then it's not in the right place in the
documentation.