Обсуждение: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Clifford Snow
Дата:
I have a large table that needs converting to the native partitioning available in PG10. I'm looking for a strategy to safely move the data. I was considering a CREATE TABLE new LIKE old  PARTITION ON(my_timestamp). But I figured postgres would execute that before I could create the child tables. Does the new table and all of it;s child tables need to be created first and then move the data over?

If I use the strategy of creating the new table and child tables, is it faster to directly populate the child tables with data or copy the data in to the new table and let the native partitioning move the data to the correct child partition?

One other question. My table gets updated every minute. I use a trigger to add a subset of some of the data to another table. Will that still work?

Thanks in advance,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
"Ravi Krishna"

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Clifford Snow

Thanks. I used Ashutosh Bapa's blop post as a guideline.

For others attempting this, I first created my parent and child structure. Then inserted the data from the original table into the child tables. Once I was happy with my new structure I drop the original table. (which is still backed just in case)

I found a couple of areas I'd missed on reading about partitions. First, no primary key. That was a big surprise. Second, my triggers I use to catch information going into the table, needed to be pointed at the child tables. I also leaned that my range partition value I used on a timestamp needed to have fractional seconds. I used a range of 2017-01-01 00:00:00 to 2017-23:59:59 which failed when I attempted to add a record that had a timestamp of 2017-23:59:59. Adding a fractional second to the range solved the problem.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Francisco Olarte
Дата:
On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 12:15 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> I also leaned that my range partition value I used on a timestamp needed to
> have fractional seconds. I used a range of 2017-01-01 00:00:00 to
> 2017-23:59:59 which failed when I attempted to add a record that had a
> timestamp of 2017-23:59:59. Adding a fractional second to the range solved
> the problem.

Your problem probably comes from using closed intervals. Timestamps
are like real numbers, partitions on real numbers are best done using
half closed interval. You can conver the real line using non
overlapping half open intervals, but you cannot do it with open or
closed ones ( non ov. ).

Assuming you are yearly range partitions ( 2017-23:59:59 should be
2017-12-31 23:59:59 ), to use closed interval you have to rely on
"real" second numbers being stored in the computer with a finite
precision  ( so you can, say, add up to the microseconds, and pray it
does not change to picoseconds in a future release ). If you use half
open ( 2017-01-01 00:00:00 <= ts < 2018.01.01 00:00:00 ) the problem
is much easier. You can even drop the HMS ( 2017-01-01 <= ts <
2018-01-01 )  and it will work, even if the systems peeks a different
HMS value for each year, as you use the same value for an interval
start as for the previous end. And, if timestamp supported defaulting
the M and D like it does with HMS ( which it does not ) you could even
drop them.

And I think postgres does not use leap seconds, but If it did
'2016-12-31 23:59:60.9999999999999" does not need to be remembered in
the half-open style.

This is a general problem, not a postgres or timestamp related one.
Anything which has decimals is generally better partitioned with
half-open intervals. With integer-like things ( like dates, which are
countable ) it does not matter that much, I use half-open for easier
upgrading if I need to, but you can translate open-closed-half.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On 1 July 2018 at 10:15, Clifford Snow <clifford@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> I also leaned that my range partition value I used on a timestamp needed to
> have fractional seconds. I used a range of 2017-01-01 00:00:00 to
> 2017-23:59:59 which failed when I attempted to add a record that had a
> timestamp of 2017-23:59:59. Adding a fractional second to the range solved
> the problem.

Please be aware that with RANGE partitions the upper bound is
non-inclusive. The lower bound is inclusive.

If you want a 2017 partition, then FOR VALUES FROM ('2017-01-01') TO
('2018-01-01') will allow all 2017 timestamps and only 2017
timestamps.

You've no need to consider precision of the type and how many 9's you
add to anything here.

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Clifford Snow
Дата:
David,
Thanks for the suggestion. That really simplifies creating the RANGE.

For all, I'm pretty much a postgresql novice, but I've tried to document what I've learned in the hopes that it can help someone else.

Clifford

 David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 02/07/18 01:43, Clifford Snow wrote:
> David,
> Thanks for the suggestion. That really simplifies creating the RANGE.
>
> For all, I'm pretty much a postgresql novice, but I've tried to document
> what I've learned in the hopes that it can help someone else.
>
> You can read my blog post
> at  https://osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us/articles/Partitioning-Postgresql/

Please consider adding your PostgreSQL-related posts to Planet.
https://planet.postgresql.org/add.html
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

От
Clifford Snow
Дата:
Vic,
I'd be happy to add my blog to planet.postgresql.org but my of my articles are not on postgresql. I'm using github pages for my blog and I do have tags for each article. Is there someone to filter on those tags?

Clifford

http://2ndQuadrant.fr     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Convert Existing Table to a Partition Table in PG10

Дата:
On Sun, Jul  1, 2018 at 07:09:33PM -0700, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Vic,
> I'd be happy to add my blog to planet.postgresql.org but my of my articles are
> not on postgresql. I'm using github pages for my blog and I do have tags for
> each article. Is there someone to filter on those tags?

When you register your blog, there is an 'Authorfilter' field, but that
only filters authors, which I assume looks at the RSS "author" tag.
Doesn't seem it can filter on category tags.

The recommended solution is to create a feed on your end just for that
category:

    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Planet_PostgreSQL

    All blogs should be about PostgreSQL or closely related technologies. If
    you want to blog about other things as well, please put your PostgreSQL
    specific posts in a separate category/tag/label, and use the feed for
    this category only for Planet PostgreSQL.