Обсуждение: Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

От
JaeWon Lee
Дата:
Hi ^^
I want to synchronize two master DB clusters. (Each generates its own DML statements)
I'm using postgresql-10 server.
I know BDR can synchronize two master DB clusters.
But current BDR2 cannot synchronize postgresql-10 servers.
As I know, upcoming BDR3 can synchronize postgresql-10 servers but I cannot afford to pay for it. ( $9,000 per server and I'm startup. )
I'm considering two methods.

(1) Retain postgresql-10 server and find some method  to synchronize two master DB clusters.
 - I know logical replication cannot deal with my problem. ( it's one direction only )
 - Is there other method to use ?

(2) Downgrade my DB server to 9.4 and use BDR1 for synchronizing.
 - As I know, I can use BDR1 for free now.
 - I'm using basic functions of postgresql-10 so I think downgrading itself may not cause big  problem. But I'm worrying about unknown problem.
 - Are 9.4 and 10 different significantly?
 - Can I upgrade my 9.4 data to 10 later ? This is what I really worry about.

Could you give me any idea ?

Re: Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

От
Nicolas Karolak
Дата:
Hello,

While looking for a master/master replication solution i found this
solution https://www.symmetricds.org/ but never tested it, if you do
i'm interested in a feedback.
I ended up using master/slave with automatic failover (with repmgr).

Cordialement,
Nicolas KAROLAK | SysAdmin
6-8, rue André Voguet - 94200 Ivry-sur-Seine
+33 1 77 56 77 96 | www.ubicast.eu | www.ubicast.tv

> Hi ^^
> I want to synchronize two master DB clusters. (Each generates its own DML
> statements)
> I'm using postgresql-10 server.
> I know BDR can synchronize two master DB clusters.
> But current BDR2 cannot synchronize postgresql-10 servers.
> As I know, upcoming BDR3 can synchronize postgresql-10 servers but I cannot
> afford to pay for it. ( $9,000 per server and I'm startup. )
> I'm considering two methods.
>
> (1) Retain postgresql-10 server and find some method  to synchronize two
> master DB clusters.
>  - I know logical replication cannot deal with my problem. ( it's one
> direction only )
>  - Is there other method to use ?
>
> (2) Downgrade my DB server to 9.4 and use BDR1 for synchronizing.
>  - As I know, I can use BDR1 for free now.
>  - I'm using basic functions of postgresql-10 so I think downgrading itself
> may not cause big  problem. But I'm worrying about unknown problem.
>  - Are 9.4 and 10 different significantly?
>  - Can I upgrade my 9.4 data to 10 later ? This is what I really worry
> about.
>
> Could you give me any idea ?

Re: Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

От
JaeWon Lee
Дата:
Thank you ^^ Currently I'm testing BDR1. I will  check  symmetricds. When I  test that, I will  share the  result.  Thank you ^^

Hello,

While looking for a master/master replication solution i found this
solution https://www.symmetricds.org/ but never tested it, if you do
i'm interested in a feedback.
I ended up using master/slave with automatic failover (with repmgr).

Cordialement,
Nicolas KAROLAK | SysAdmin
6-8, rue André Voguet - 94200 Ivry-sur-Seine
+33 1 77 56 77 96 | www.ubicast.eu | www.ubicast.tv

> Hi ^^
> I want to synchronize two master DB clusters. (Each generates its own DML
> statements)
> I'm using postgresql-10 server.
> I know BDR can synchronize two master DB clusters.
> But current BDR2 cannot synchronize postgresql-10 servers.
> As I know, upcoming BDR3 can synchronize postgresql-10 servers but I cannot
> afford to pay for it. ( $9,000 per server and I'm startup. )
> I'm considering two methods.
>
> (1) Retain postgresql-10 server and find some method  to synchronize two
> master DB clusters.
>  - I know logical replication cannot deal with my problem. ( it's one
> direction only )
>  - Is there other method to use ?
>
> (2) Downgrade my DB server to 9.4 and use BDR1 for synchronizing.
>  - As I know, I can use BDR1 for free now.
>  - I'm using basic functions of postgresql-10 so I think downgrading itself
> may not cause big  problem. But I'm worrying about unknown problem.
>  - Are 9.4 and 10 different significantly?
>  - Can I upgrade my 9.4 data to 10 later ? This is what I really worry
> about.
>
> Could you give me any idea ?

RE: Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

От
"Ahmed, Nawaz"
Дата:
Hi,

I have had a short time to play around with SymmetricDS and it is pretty easy to setup. There are two ways of doing it,
(1)two node setup:  master-slave (2) three node setup: centralized master sending and receiving updates to/from two
childnodes as the little diagram shows in the "Demo" section of the tutorials.

I've had to basically follow the manuals to configure both the setups and is very easy to start cracking with. It is
triggerbased just like Slony is, however, I could not test SymmetricDS with massive amounts of data as I 've tested
Slony.

Slony is robust but a little cumbersome to implement but if you know what you doing with Slony and follow the manuals,
itreally creates wonders. I have seen situations where Slony deamons were killed and restarted and it picked up from
whereit had left without breaking down completely.

Best Regards,

Nawaz Ahmed
Software Development Engineer

Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd
14 Rodborough Road, Frenchs Forest NSW 2086, Australia
T +61 2 9452 9027
Nawaz@fast.au.fujitsu.com
fastware.com.au

testedit, if you do i'm interested in a feedback.

I ended up using master/slave with automatic failover (with repmgr).

Cordialement,
Nicolas KAROLAK | SysAdmin
6-8, rue André Voguet - 94200 Ivry-sur-Seine
+33 1 77 56 77 96 | www.ubicast.eu | www.ubicast.tv

> Hi ^^
> I want to synchronize two master DB clusters. (Each generates its own
> DML
> statements)
> I'm using postgresql-10 server.
> I know BDR can synchronize two master DB clusters.
> But current BDR2 cannot synchronize postgresql-10 servers.
> As I know, upcoming BDR3 can synchronize postgresql-10 servers but I
> cannot afford to pay for it. ( $9,000 per server and I'm startup. )
> I'm considering two methods.
>
> (1) Retain postgresql-10 server and find some method  to synchronize
> two master DB clusters.
>  - I know logical replication cannot deal with my problem. ( it's one
> direction only )
>  - Is there other method to use ?
>
> (2) Downgrade my DB server to 9.4 and use BDR1 for synchronizing.
>  - As I know, I can use BDR1 for free now.
>  - I'm using basic functions of postgresql-10 so I think downgrading
> itself may not cause big  problem. But I'm worrying about unknown problem.
>  - Are 9.4 and 10 different significantly?
>  - Can I upgrade my 9.4 data to 10 later ? This is what I really worry
> about.
>
> Could you give me any idea ?

Disclaimer

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may contain content that is subject to copyright and/or is
commercial-in-confidenceand is intended only for the use of the above named addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient,you are hereby notified that dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you
havereceived this e-mail in error, please telephone Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd on + 61 2 9452 9000
orby reply e-mail to the sender and delete the document and all copies thereof.

Whereas Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd would not knowingly transmit a virus within an email
communication,it is the receiver’s responsibility to scan all communication and any files attached for computer viruses
andother defects. Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd does not accept liability for any loss or damage
(whetherdirect, indirect, consequential or economic) however caused, and whether by negligence or otherwise, which may
resultdirectly or indirectly from this communication or any files attached.

If you do not wish to receive commercial and/or marketing email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty
Ltd,please email unsubscribe@fast.au.fujitsu.com

Re: Can I synchronize two master DB clusters except BDR ?

От
pavan95
Дата:
Hi Lee,

>(1) Retain postgresql-10 server and find some method  to synchronize two
master DB clusters.
>- I know logical replication cannot deal with my problem. ( it's one
direction only )
> - Is there other method to use ?
Unfortunately, no

>(2) Downgrade my DB server to 9.4 and use BDR1 for synchronizing.
> - As I know, I can use BDR1 for free now.
> - I'm using basic functions of postgresql-10 so I think downgrading itself
> may not cause big  problem. But >I'm worrying about unknown problem.
> - Are 9.4 and 10 different significantly?
Yes, Postgres 10 incorporated many a features in it.
> - Can I upgrade my 9.4 data to 10 later ? This is what I really worry
> about.
I think you could upgrade.

>Could you give me any idea ?
One thing that strikes my mind is how you configure Logical Replication from
publisher to subscriber, same way you can do it for subscriber too. But
tried it, and it seemed to fail due to the replica_identity set or due to
primary key(orelse, we will end up with redundant data)
Refer the below link:

https://blog.dbi-services.com/can-i-have-the-same-table-published-and-subscribed-bi-directional-in-postgresql-10-logical-replication/

<https://blog.dbi-services.com/can-i-have-the-same-table-published-and-subscribed-bi-directional-in-postgresql-10-logical-replication/>

Regards,