Обсуждение: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVMbitcode stuff

Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVMbitcode stuff

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
Hi all,

JIT is introducing the installation of LLVM bitcode modules, and any
installation done results in the following comment in output, which
repeats basically for all the extensions installed:
# Then install files
#
# The many INSTALL_DATA invocations aren't particularly fast, it'd be
# good if we could coalesce them, but I didn't find a good way.

Andres, could it be possible to move at least that block of comments in
a place where this is not user-visible?  I would be of the opinion to
move away also the "# Create target directory", "# Create
sub-directories, if files are in subdirectories", and "# and generate
index" as the information is not especially useful for anobody compiling
the code with --with-llvm.

Michael

Вложения

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVM bitcode stuff

Дата:
> JIT is introducing the installation of LLVM bitcode modules, and any
> installation done results in the following comment in output, which
> repeats basically for all the extensions installed:
> # Then install files
> #
> # The many INSTALL_DATA invocations aren't particularly fast, it'd be
> # good if we could coalesce them, but I didn't find a good way.

> Andres, could it be possible to move at least that block of comments in
> a place where this is not user-visible?

Agreed, there shouldn't be comments in the emitted shell commands;
I'm a bit surprised that works at all.  Close inspection of the
"make install" output revealed a few other issues, which I hope
I fixed rather than making things worse.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVM bitcode stuff

От
Andres Freund

On April 28, 2018 11:05:15 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> writes:
>> JIT is introducing the installation of LLVM bitcode modules, and any
>> installation done results in the following comment in output, which
>> repeats basically for all the extensions installed:
>> # Then install files
>> #
>> # The many INSTALL_DATA invocations aren't particularly fast, it'd be
>> # good if we could coalesce them, but I didn't find a good way.
>
>> Andres, could it be possible to move at least that block of comments
>in
>> a place where this is not user-visible?

Yes, that seems sensible. I don't think they hurt much given the existing verbosity, but they don't add anything.

>  Close inspection of the
>"make install" output revealed a few other issues, which I hope
>I fixed rather than making things worse.

Broke the llvm enabled part of the bf. Will have a look once I'm home (1.5h), unless you get to it first.

Andres

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVM bitcode stuff

Дата:
> On April 28, 2018 11:05:15 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Close inspection of the
>> "make install" output revealed a few other issues, which I hope
>> I fixed rather than making things worse.

> Broke the llvm enabled part of the bf. Will have a look once I'm home (1.5h), unless you get to it first.

Ugh.  I'd tried the core code but not contrib.  Will look.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVMbitcode stuff

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 02:32:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ugh.  I'd tried the core code but not contrib.  Will look.

The thread has stalled a bit.  What are the other issues you were
seeing?  Are those related to --with-llvm?  On my side, if I just apply
something like the attached I am able to get rid of all those output
comments.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVMbitcode stuff

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2018-04-30 07:43:46 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 02:32:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Ugh.  I'd tried the core code but not contrib.  Will look.
>
> The thread has stalled a bit.

Huh? It's a weekend. The last message was yesterday afternoon.

> What are the other issues you were
> seeing?  Are those related to --with-llvm?  On my side, if I just apply
> something like the attached I am able to get rid of all those output
> comments.

Isn't that what bc19b7836215b1a847524041a1bd138d7bb5cbef did?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Cold welcoming message when installing anything because of LLVMbitcode stuff

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 03:49:53PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Isn't that what bc19b7836215b1a847524041a1bd138d7bb5cbef did?

Oops, sorry.  Missed this one.
--
Michael

Вложения