Обсуждение: perltidy tweaks

perltidy tweaks

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I prpose two tweaks for the perltidy configuration:

- The new perltidy version can avoid writing backup files, so we don't
need to explicitly delete them after.

- Use option --nooutdent-long-quotes.  This is similar to a change we
made for pgindent in the C code a while ago.  See patch for the results.

Re: perltidy tweaks

Дата:
> I prpose two tweaks for the perltidy configuration:
> - The new perltidy version can avoid writing backup files, so we don't
> need to explicitly delete them after.

+1

> - Use option --nooutdent-long-quotes.  This is similar to a change we
> made for pgindent in the C code a while ago.  See patch for the results.

No strong opinion as to whether to do that or not, but if we do, I wonder
if we shouldn't also select --nooutdent-long-comments.  I noticed a few
places where it was doing that (ie moving comments left if they went past
the right margin) and didn't particularly like it.

What would be more per project style is to reflow overly-wide comments
into multiple lines, but I don't see an option for that :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: perltidy tweaks

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 04/26/2018 12:33 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I prpose two tweaks for the perltidy configuration:
>> - The new perltidy version can avoid writing backup files, so we don't
>> need to explicitly delete them after.
> +1

+1

>> - Use option --nooutdent-long-quotes.  This is similar to a change we
>> made for pgindent in the C code a while ago.  See patch for the results.
> No strong opinion as to whether to do that or not, but if we do, I wonder
> if we shouldn't also select --nooutdent-long-comments.  I noticed a few
> places where it was doing that (ie moving comments left if they went past
> the right margin) and didn't particularly like it.

Yeah, not a fan of the outdenting, so +1 to both of these.

> What would be more per project style is to reflow overly-wide comments
> into multiple lines, but I don't see an option for that :-(

Right. Maybe we need a script that at least identifies them for us.

cheers

andrew

Re: perltidy tweaks

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 4/26/18 14:10, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> - Use option --nooutdent-long-quotes.  This is similar to a change we
>>> made for pgindent in the C code a while ago.  See patch for the results.
>> No strong opinion as to whether to do that or not, but if we do, I wonder
>> if we shouldn't also select --nooutdent-long-comments.  I noticed a few
>> places where it was doing that (ie moving comments left if they went past
>> the right margin) and didn't particularly like it.
>

> Yeah, not a fan of the outdenting, so +1 to both of these.

committed all three