Обсуждение: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

От
Gopi G
Дата:
I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
I followed documentation and tried to do

postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';

ERROR:  must be superuser to alter replication users

surprisingly I am not finding any way to solve this problem.
and how do I login using 'postgres' linux os user that is created when I installed postgres 9.2?

gopi

Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

От
Francis Santiago
Дата:
you entered as the Postgres user, it seems that not because he says : postgres=>

When you enter with the postgres user, it is: postgres=#

I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
I followed documentation and tried to do

postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';

ERROR:  must be superuser to alter replication users

surprisingly I am not finding any way to solve this problem.
and how do I login using 'postgres' linux os user that is created when I installed postgres 9.2?

gopi

Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

От
Gopi G

Hi Francis

I did login like postgres.

Here is from my command:

~$ sudo -u postgres psql postgres

could not change directory to "/home/ec2-user"

Password:

psql (9.2.24)

Type "help" for help.

postgres=>

you entered as the Postgres user, it seems that not because he says : postgres=>

When you enter with the postgres user, it is: postgres=#

I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
I followed documentation and tried to do

postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';

ERROR:  must be superuser to alter replication users

surprisingly I am not finding any way to solve this problem.
and how do I login using 'postgres' linux os user that is created when I installed postgres 9.2?

gopi

Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
I followed documentation and tried to do

postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';

ERROR:  must be superuser to alter replication users

Something is odd here besides using an out-of-support version of PostgreSQL.  I'm figuring that you'll have better luck asking your distro packager (i.e., Amazon) directly.  That said the best way to change passwords with psql is the \password meta-command.

Most packages make the postgres user a superuser but apparently your distro thinks differently and you need to learn from them how things work.

David J.

Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

От
Laurenz Albe
Gopi G wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Francis Santiago <santiagocfc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you entered as the Postgres user, it seems that not because he says : postgres=>
> >
> > When you enter with the postgres user, it is: postgres=#

> > > I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
> > > I followed documentation and tried to do
> > > postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
> > > ERROR:  must be superuser to alter replication users
> > >

> > > surprisingly I am not finding any way to solve this problem.
> > > and how do I login using 'postgres' linux os user that is created when I installed postgres 9.2?
> > >
> > > gopi
> >
> I did login like postgres.
> Here is from my command:
>
> ~$ sudo -u postgres psql postgres
> could not change directory to "/home/ec2-user"
> Password:
> psql (9.2.24)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=>

Check \du in psql to see if you have any superusers left.

If not, you must stop the server and start it in single user mode
(postgres --single -D /data/directory dbname).

Once you are connected as superuser or in single user mode,
give "postgres" its superuser privilege back:

ALTER ROLE postgres SUPERUSER;

Yours,
Laurenz Albe