Обсуждение: Re: postgres not starting

Re: postgres not starting

От
Laurenz Albe
I wrote:
> Alan Hodgson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 18:21 -0600, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
> > > I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and
retry"
> > > I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres
> > >
> > >  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
> > > Can someone help.
> >
> > kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port.
> > And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database
> > cluster after really cleaning up the old one.
>
> This seems excessive - maybe the server he wants to start is already
> running and there is no need to crash or wipe it.

Apologies - I didn't see the part that "nothing is running".

To find the process that is blocking the port, you can run the following:

lsof -i TCP:5432

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: postgres not starting

От
Azimuddin Mohammed
Дата:
I do not see anything running

On Feb 15, 2018 11:00 PM, "Laurenz Albe" <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
I wrote:
> Alan Hodgson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-02-15 at 18:21 -0600, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am unable to start postgres on one of the server
> > > I am getting below error "HINT: is another postmaster already running on port 5432, if not wait a few seconds and retry"
> > > I checked the processes nothing is running with postgres
> > >
> > >  I think the error caused because I removed everything under /data directory before stopping the server.
> > > Can someone help.
> >
> > kill -9 the old processes. The old postmaster is holding onto the port.
> > And probably some of the old file handles, too, so you might want to re-init the new database
> > cluster after really cleaning up the old one.
>
> This seems excessive - maybe the server he wants to start is already
> running and there is no need to crash or wipe it.

Apologies - I didn't see the part that "nothing is running".

To find the process that is blocking the port, you can run the following:

lsof -i TCP:5432

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: postgres not starting

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
andretry"

> > To find the process that is blocking the port, you can run the following:
> >
> > lsof -i TCP:5432
>
> I do not see anything running

Then the problem is something else.

Try to start PostgreSQL directly as OS user "postgres" with

  postgres

(This requires that the environment variable PGDATA is set to the data directory.)

Then post all the messages you see.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe