Обсуждение: Postgres install

Postgres install

От
Azimuddin Mohammed
Дата:
Hello,
I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres user in our companies AD.
Below are my questions n concerns:

1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation, the one on postgres website is confusing

2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code? i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can this be changed ?

3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have different drive location for my data directory or any important parameter, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Azim

Re: Postgres install

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 02/05/2018 12:41 PM, Azimuddin Mohammed wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres
> user in our companies AD.
> Below are my questions n concerns:
>
> 1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation,
> the one on postgres website is confusing

I am guessing you are referring to?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/index.html

What part do you find confusing?

> 2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code?
> i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can
> this be changed ?

For source code install see here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/install-procedure.html

"You can customize the build and installation process by supplying one
or more of the following command line options to configure:

--prefix=PREFIX

     Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of
/usr/local/pgsql. The actual files will be installed into various
subdirectories; no files will ever be installed directly into the PREFIX
directory.
"

The second part of your question has to do with a RPM install, which is
not a source install. Do you want to do a source install, RPM install or
both?

Also what OS are you planning to install to?

> 3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have
> different drive location for my data directory or any important
> parameter, please let me know.

This would be easier to answer if you where to provide an outline of how
you want your Postgres install to be structured.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgres install

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Postgres install

От
Benjamin Scherrey
Дата:
One option you should seriously consider is using Docker to containerize your postgres installation. The installation thinks it has root access but you don't need any rights beyond the standard user role that way you can use the standard builds without changes. This assumes you're running under Linux.

  - - Ben Scherrey

I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres user in our companies AD.
Below are my questions n concerns:

1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation, the one on postgres website is confusing

2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code? i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can this be changed ?

3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have different drive location for my data directory or any important parameter, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Azim

Re: Postgres install

От
Benjamin Scherrey
Дата:
[...]

Dave Cramer

One option you should seriously consider is using Docker to containerize your postgres installation. The installation thinks it has root access but you don't need any rights beyond the standard user role that way you can use the standard builds without changes. This assumes you're running under Linux.

  - - Ben Scherrey

I need to install postgres without root privileges. I have a postgres user in our companies AD.
Below are my questions n concerns:

1. Is there a website you will refer other the postgres documentation, the one on postgres website is confusing

What is confusing ?

2. What is the default location of postgress install from a source code? i.e if I run rmp -ivh <rpm name> where will it install by default? can this be changed ?
How are you going to do that without root ?

3. Important parameters I need to change  ? I am planning to have different drive location for my data directory or any important parameter, please let me know.

There are lots, but changing the data dir is not particularly difficult. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-file-locations.html

Thanks in Advance

Azim

Re: Postgres install

От
Dave Cramer

[...]

Samuel Teixeira Santos
Дата:
Hi to all.

I usually install Postgresql on my user to local development using the Postgresql Binaries

You could do this installation and definitons programmatically, but you must define a user to run postgres at end.

In my case I use my own linux account.

Always work.

Hope its helps

Samuel