Обсуждение: Replication parameters in recovery.conf

Replication parameters in recovery.conf

От
Aleksandr Parfenov
Дата:
Hello,

Reading a documentation regarding recovery.conf file I found that the
reason to store 'stand-by mode' configuration inside that file is not
clear.

IMHO, a little note in description of recovery.conf will clearify
the situation. Something like "a stand-by is submode of recover mode"
and that the file used during replication will help. Same as in
recovery.conf.sample file will be fine too.

What the community thinks about it?

--
Aleksandr Parfenov
Russian Postgres Company

Re: Replication parameters in recovery.conf

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 12/1/17 06:12, Aleksandr Parfenov wrote:
> Reading a documentation regarding recovery.conf file I found that the
> reason to store 'stand-by mode' configuration inside that file is not
> clear.
>
> IMHO, a little note in description of recovery.conf will clearify
> the situation. Something like "a stand-by is submode of recover mode"
> and that the file used during replication will help. Same as in
> recovery.conf.sample file will be fine too.
>
> What the community thinks about it?

The reasons for this are basically all historical and we are trying to
get rid of it (by moving these settings to postgresql.conf, mostly).  So
I don't think we need to spend a lot of time rationalizing this at this
point.

Re: Replication parameters in recovery.conf

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Peter Eisentraut
> The reasons for this are basically all historical and we are trying to
> get rid of it (by moving these settings to postgresql.conf, mostly).  So
> I don't think we need to spend a lot of time rationalizing this at this
> point.

Yeah, there are as well parameters that could get removed on the way,
like hot_standby for example. Most deployments don't use it to off
these days, and in Postgres 10 this moves makes even more sense as
wal_level = replica maps to both "archive" and "hot_standby", but
means the latter.
--
Michael