Обсуждение: win32 binaries

win32 binaries

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Dear hackers,

My personal feeling is that the win32 port has turned a corner; in most
respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think there is any merit to
the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs compile on the win32
status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with instructions to add
appropriate folders to the path, run intdb/postmaster).

Regards,
Merlin

Re: win32 binaries

Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Dear hackers,
>
> My personal feeling is that the win32 port has turned a corner; in most
> respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think there is any merit to
> the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs compile on the win32
> status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with instructions to add
> appropriate folders to the path, run intdb/postmaster).

Could we get it build daily?  It is still changing every few days.

Re: win32 binaries

От
Thomas Swan
Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:

>Dear hackers,
>
>My personal feeling is that the win32 port has turned a corner; in most
>respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think there is any merit to
>the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs compile on the win32
>status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with instructions to add
>appropriate folders to the path, run intdb/postmaster).

While this isn't addressed to me, I think you would want to put it on
the developer page; I don't know about the general site.

I was going to try and work on this very issue during the weekend.   I
have some friends that want to use Postgresql, but do not have a Unix
box available, especially at their workplace.  I've been writing some
batch files and some install instructions to handle the basics.  Would
you have any objections to using something like the nullsoft installer.

Thomas

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Thomas Swan wrote:
> While this isn't addressed to me, I think you would want to put it on
> the developer page; I don't know about the general site.
>
> I was going to try and work on this very issue during the weekend.   I
> have some friends that want to use Postgresql, but do not have a Unix
> box available, especially at their workplace.  I've been writing some
> batch files and some install instructions to handle the basics.  Would
> you have any objections to using something like the nullsoft
installer.

I think Magnus is working on an installation that is complete or nearly
complete.  I think he means to use the .msi installer, not sure though.
I believe this was debated and decided some weeks back.  There are some
still unaddressed issues like service management, interaction with the
event viewer, etc.  Until these are done it may be better to hold off on
the installation package.  My suggestion is to get with Magnus if you
want to get that ball rolling.

wrt the location, my idea was a (ftp?) download link on the win32 status
page, plus a news item on the front page.  Being on the status page will
reflect the 'in development' nature of the port.

Merlin

Re: win32 binaries

От
Jeff Eckermann
Дата:
--- Merlin Moncure <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com>
wrote:
> Dear hackers,
>
> My personal feeling is that the win32 port has
> turned a corner; in most
> respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think
> there is any merit to
> the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs
> compile on the win32

I like the idea of improving accessibility, especially
for testing purposes.  Windows users, and admins too,
are accustomed to binary installs.

But I would be prepared to put money on the
probability of someone putting a snapshot binary into
production somewhere.  I suggest that the download
page have prominently displayed severe warnings about
the advisability of using unstable versions for
production.

> status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with
> instructions to add
> appropriate folders to the path, run
> intdb/postmaster).
>
> Regards,
> Merlin

majordomo@postgresql.org

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > My personal feeling is that the win32 port has turned a corner; in
most
> > respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think there is any merit
> > the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs compile on the win32
> > status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with instructions to add
> > appropriate folders to the path, run intdb/postmaster).
>
> Could we get it build daily?  It is still changing every few days.

I have no problem writing some instructions and doing some compiles,
unless you think this could be better done in some other fashion.

Merlin

Re: win32 binaries

Дата:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > My personal feeling is that the win32 port has turned a corner; in
> most
> > > respects it is usable and stable.  Do you think there is any merit
> > > the idea of putting a binary release of the cvs compile on the win32
> > > status page (just a zip of local/pgsql, with instructions to add
> > > appropriate folders to the path, run intdb/postmaster).
> >
> > Could we get it build daily?  It is still changing every few days.
>
> I have no problem writing some instructions and doing some compiles,
> unless you think this could be better done in some other fashion.

In the past we had automated tar builds, but binary builds are harder to
automate.  If it was updated once a week, that would be enough.

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In the past we had automated tar builds, but binary builds are harder
> automate.  If it was updated once a week, that would be enough.

Hmm. With a simple batch script/scheduled task it would not be terribly
difficult to:
1. login to cvs
2. update pgsql
3. make/make install
4. zip up with command line zip utility
5. ftp to location of choice

The problem is the configure script because this requires logging into
msys...is there a way to launch msys & run a script?  Of course, it is
not necessary to run configure every day.

Merlin

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > I was going to try and work on this very issue during the
> weekend.   I
> > have some friends that want to use Postgresql, but do not
> have a Unix
> > box available, especially at their workplace.  I've been
> writing some
> > batch files and some install instructions to handle the
> basics.  Would
> > you have any objections to using something like the nullsoft
> installer.
>
> I think Magnus is working on an installation that is complete
> or nearly complete.

Yes. I have it installing files and service (the service won't actually
work, since the code is not in the postmaster yet), but it's not
handling initdb yet (planned). There is some layout work that needs to
be done as well (GUI-wise). So it's not ready to be put up just yet. But
I'm on it.

> I think he means to use the .msi
> installer, not sure though.

Yes, it uses Windows Installer (MSI). I persoanlly think this is a big
point. As a Windows admin, I prefer a MSI based installation (if it's
done the way it's supposed to be done, and not just a MSI wrapper around
a DLL with an old-style installer) over nullsoft or similar packages. It
provides a standard way for unattended installations, uninstallation
etc.

>  I believe this was debated and
> decided some weeks back.  There are some still unaddressed
> issues like service management, interaction with the event
> viewer, etc.

I beleive event logging is already done. Service management is not.

>  Until these are done it may be better to hold
> off on the installation package.  My suggestion is to get
> with Magnus if you want to get that ball rolling.

I think just putting up a ZIP with the files would be great for now.
Then you just unzip it in c:\pgsql or wherever you want it, and you can
run the postmaster from a command prompt window.

As for doing work on the installer, sure, I won't mind help :-) I just
need to finish off the main framework, then  can put it up somewhere.

Which brings up another point - where would the source files go? Where
are specs etc for RPMs held? Not in the main cvs from what I can see, at
least. gborg?

> wrt the location, my idea was a (ftp?) download link on the
> win32 status page, plus a news item on the front page.  Being
> on the status page will reflect the 'in development' nature
> of the port.

That sounds good to me. If it's not appropriate for the main ftp site
(I'll let someone else decide on that), I can provide some webspace for
it at a fairly fast connection.

If this can be automated, even better. And it shouldn't be that hard. A
script that does configure with fixed parameters, make, make install in
a freshly downloaded environment (I wouldn't want to mess with
incremental compiles etc), and then just ZIP up the entire installed
directory, and ftp that off to somewhere.

//Magnus

Re: win32 binaries

От
Claudio Natoli
Дата:
Jeff Eckermann wrote:
> But I would be prepared to put money on the
> probability of someone putting a snapshot binary into
> production somewhere.  I suggest that the download
> page have prominently displayed severe warnings about
> the advisability of using unstable versions for
> production.

I agree; the last thing we want is for negative experiences with the win32
port out in the wild, before it is even officially released.

That said though, I think the port is sufficiently stable that there is a
lot of value in providing interim testing versions, for people who should be
savvy enough to use it wisely, and continuing this whilst we wait for other
parts of 7.5 to come together.

Perhaps we should wait until we have service integration and an installer?
Though I don't think either bit is that far off, so good to start thinking
about this now.

My 2c,
Claudio

---
<a
ailpolicy.html</a>

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
Claudio Natoli wrote:
> Perhaps we should wait until we have service integration and an
installer?
> Though I don't think either bit is that far off, so good to start
thinking
> about this now.

Hmm.  I hate to wait too long...we can have a nightly .zip snapshot
ready now while the full installer might take days or weeks.  Of course,
once the beta period is official, I think a full install is appropriate.
I'm an impatient sort; every day is a lost opportunity.

I have a .zip packaging script ready to go, just need a ftp address to
put the file, plus need to author a readme and a disclaimer.

Merlin

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Dave Page"

Excellent - that's exactly why I use MSI for psqlODBC and pgAdmin. What
tools are you using?

Regards Dave.

Re: win32 binaries

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > Yes, it uses Windows Installer (MSI). I persoanlly think this
> > is a big point. As a Windows admin, I prefer a MSI based
> > installation (if it's done the way it's supposed to be done,
> > and not just a MSI wrapper around a DLL with an old-style
> > installer) over nullsoft or similar packages. It provides a
> > standard way for unattended installations, uninstallation etc.
>
> Excellent - that's exactly why I use MSI for psqlODBC and
> pgAdmin. What tools are you using?

I started off with a proprietary tool (just to get running), but just
when I was trying to decide which tool to use, WiX came along. So now
I'm using WiX.
It's fairly simple (just create/edit a couple of XML files), and it can
do a lot. THe downside is that there is no GUI to build things in, but
it's not difficult to do. And you have total control over what goes in
the MSI, unlike some of the proprietary MSI generating tools around. A
very good point about it is that it can be automated from the
commandline, so it can be built using a makefile.

It's also free (CPL). And it's the tool the MS themselves use...

http://wix.sourceforge.net/

//Magnus