Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

[HACKERS] Latches API on windows

От
Abbas Butt
Дата:
Hi,
I am working on a contrib module that uses RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker API
to create a couple of worker processes. For synchronization between the
background worker processes I am using InitSharedLatch, SetLatch, WaitLatch APIs.
One of the processes is supposed to wait for the latch, the other is supposed to set it.
The system works perfectly fine as long as its run on Linux, however when tried
on Windows, it fails giving the error:
ResetEvent failed: error code 6
Error code 6 means invalid handle. Debugging reveals that the handle contains
a valid value, however it seems that the handle is not accessible (was not created)
in the process that is calling ResetEvent.

Debugging the issue lead me to the following comment on top of InitSharedLatch:

 * InitSharedLatch needs to be called in postmaster before forking child
 * processes, usually right after allocating the shared memory block
 * containing the latch with ShmemInitStruct. (The Unix implementation
 * doesn't actually require that, but the Windows one does.)

In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in _PG_init
which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
the way it is working on Linux?

Best Regards

Abbas
Architect
Skype ID: gabbasb
www.enterprisedb.com

Follow us on Twitter

@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars, whitepapers and more

Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 9 October 2017 at 21:26, Abbas Butt <abbas.butt@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on a contrib module that uses RegisterDynamicBackgroundWorker
> API
> to create a couple of worker processes. For synchronization between the
> background worker processes I am using InitSharedLatch, SetLatch, WaitLatch
> APIs.
> One of the processes is supposed to wait for the latch, the other is
> supposed to set it.
> The system works perfectly fine as long as its run on Linux, however when
> tried
> on Windows, it fails giving the error:
> ResetEvent failed: error code 6
> Error code 6 means invalid handle. Debugging reveals that the handle
> contains
> a valid value, however it seems that the handle is not accessible (was not
> created)
> in the process that is calling ResetEvent.
>
> Debugging the issue lead me to the following comment on top of
> InitSharedLatch:
>
>  * InitSharedLatch needs to be called in postmaster before forking child
>  * processes, usually right after allocating the shared memory block
>  * containing the latch with ShmemInitStruct. (The Unix implementation
>  * doesn't actually require that, but the Windows one does.)
>
> In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in _PG_init
> which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
> My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
> the way it is working on Linux?

I suspect you'd need to do it by having your extension load via
shared_preload_libraries, registering its latch in shmem_startup_hook
.

But ... that's an off-the-cuff guess.

Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

Дата:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 9 October 2017 at 21:26, Abbas Butt <abbas.butt@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in _PG_init
>> which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
>> My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
>> the way it is working on Linux?

> I suspect you'd need to do it by having your extension load via
> shared_preload_libraries, registering its latch in shmem_startup_hook

Yeah.  That would also let you request your shared memory area honestly,
instead of relying on there being some slop in the initial allocation.

Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

От
Abbas Butt
Дата:
Thanks for the suggestion.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 9 October 2017 at 21:26, Abbas Butt <abbas.butt@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in _PG_init
>> which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
>> My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
>> the way it is working on Linux?

> I suspect you'd need to do it by having your extension load via
> shared_preload_libraries, registering its latch in shmem_startup_hook

Yeah.  That would also let you request your shared memory area honestly,
instead of relying on there being some slop in the initial allocation.

Abbas
Architect
Skype ID: gabbasb
www.enterprisedb.com

Follow us on Twitter

@EnterpriseDB

Visit EnterpriseDB for tutorials, webinars, whitepapers and more

Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

От
Andres Freund

On October 9, 2017 6:56:10 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 9 October 2017 at 21:26, Abbas Butt <abbas.butt@enterprisedb.com>
>wrote:
>>> In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in
>_PG_init
>>> which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
>>> My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
>>> the way it is working on Linux?
>
>> I suspect you'd need to do it by having your extension load via
>> shared_preload_libraries, registering its latch in shmem_startup_hook
>
>Yeah.  That would also let you request your shared memory area
>honestly,
>instead of relying on there being some slop in the initial allocation.

Might be dsm  style memory.

I think the right approach here, regardless of the source of the memory, is to actually bit create a new latch, but
insteadto store a pointer the the owning processes preexisting latch. Besides solving this issue, it also avoids
problemswith various routines already waiting on the proclatch.

Andres