Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Latches API on windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On October 9, 2017 6:56:10 AM PDT, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 9 October 2017 at 21:26, Abbas Butt <abbas.butt@enterprisedb.com>
>wrote:
>>> In my case this is not true, I am calling InitSharedLatch in
>_PG_init
>>> which gets called at CREATE EXTENSION time.
>>> My question : Is there a way to get the latches API work on windows
>>> the way it is working on Linux?
>
>> I suspect you'd need to do it by having your extension load via
>> shared_preload_libraries, registering its latch in shmem_startup_hook
>
>Yeah.  That would also let you request your shared memory area
>honestly,
>instead of relying on there being some slop in the initial allocation.

Might be dsm  style memory.

I think the right approach here, regardless of the source of the memory, is to actually bit create a new latch, but
insteadto store a pointer the the owning processes preexisting latch. Besides solving this issue, it also avoids
problemswith various routines already waiting on the proclatch.

Andres