Обсуждение: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

[pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Jason Petersen
Дата:
What happened to the Amazon Linux PGDG repo? It seems to have disappeared entirely as of v10.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Jason,

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 11:51 -0600, Jason Petersen wrote:
> What happened to the Amazon Linux PGDG repo? It seems to have disappeared
> entirely as of v10.

When I launched Amazon repo, it was a RHEL 6 clone, so those RPMS were actually
HEL 6 RPMS.

Recently, it diverted a lot, so I gave up.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Daniel Farina
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi Jason,

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 11:51 -0600, Jason Petersen wrote:
> What happened to the Amazon Linux PGDG repo? It seems to have disappeared
> entirely as of v10.

When I launched Amazon repo, it was a RHEL 6 clone, so those RPMS were actually
HEL 6 RPMS.

Recently, it diverted a lot, so I gave up.

That is true, with regard to PostGIS in particular I've had to do quite a bit of hackery to get things to work (and I'm currently broken at the moment).

Nevertheless, Amazon Linux is the one way to get competent kernel defect support on AWS , so I'm fairly committed to using it. The newer userland packages are also sometimes useful. And most pgdg packages compile fine.

As-is I'd probably continue to maintain a barely-good-enough fork of pgrpms to do my packages. Is there a better way?

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 20:07 +0000, Daniel Farina wrote:
> As-is I'd probably continue to maintain a barely-good-enough fork of pgrpms
> to do my packages. Is there a better way?

How do you make those changes? Are they inside conditionals, like I did for
SLES, or did you just fork them? If they are inside conditionals, we can commit
them back to our repo as a first step -- at least it would save time for other
users.

The 2nd step would be having a community managed build server on Amazon, but
given that we recently added SLES 12 and RHEL 7 PPCLE support to our repo, I am
out of cycles to add a new platform. My community time at EDB is already 200%
booked.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Jason Petersen
Дата:
The 2nd step would be having a community managed build server on Amazon

This happened somewhat quietly, but there are now Amazon Linux images in Docker Hub. It might be reasonable to just bring the specfiles into such a container and build the rpms there (they only have fairly recent Amazon Linux versions, but that might be OK).

My build logic for Citus is a collection of shell scripts and Docker images, so this is probably something I could get together if the pgrpm specfiles are relatively general.

--
Jason Petersen
Software Engineer | Citus Data
303.736.9255

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Daniel Farina
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:16 AM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 20:07 +0000, Daniel Farina wrote:
> As-is I'd probably continue to maintain a barely-good-enough fork of pgrpms
> to do my packages. Is there a better way?

How do you make those changes? Are they inside conditionals, like I did for
SLES, or did you just fork them? If they are inside conditionals, we can commit
them back to our repo as a first step -- at least it would save time for other
users.

I forked them. Do you an idea what macros can be used to make amazon-linux specific paths?

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:30 PM, Daniel Farina <daniel@citusdata.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:16 AM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2017-10-09 at 20:07 +0000, Daniel Farina wrote:
> As-is I'd probably continue to maintain a barely-good-enough fork of pgrpms
> to do my packages. Is there a better way?

How do you make those changes? Are they inside conditionals, like I did for
SLES, or did you just fork them? If they are inside conditionals, we can commit
them back to our repo as a first step -- at least it would save time for other
users.

I forked them. Do you an idea what macros can be used to make amazon-linux specific paths?

Hi,

Looking to see if there is any progress on this? It seems like there is still no officially supported package for pg10 on amazon linux.

Thanks,

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi Daniel,

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 23:30 +0000, Daniel Farina wrote:
> I forked them. Do you an idea what macros can be used to make amazon-linux
> specific paths?

I found this on Google:

%global is_amz %(grep -qi 'Amazon Linux' /etc/system-release && echo 1 || echo 0)

But not sure how you'll detect different Amazon Linux versions, I don't have
access to them. Maybe you can improve the grep part.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 2018-03-21 at 11:10 -0400, Payal Singh wrote:
> Looking to see if there is any progress on this? It seems like there is
> still no officially supported package for pg10 on amazon linux.

Unfortunately, no. I'm willing to add macros to the spec files, but there is no
 interest at this point to go further.

Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 22 March 2018 at 07:40, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 23:30 +0000, Daniel Farina wrote:
> I forked them. Do you an idea what macros can be used to make amazon-linux
> specific paths?

I found this on Google:

%global is_amz %(grep -qi 'Amazon Linux' /etc/system-release && echo 1 || echo 0)

But not sure how you'll detect different Amazon Linux versions, I don't have
access to them. Maybe you can improve the grep part.

They haven't added anything to rpmmacros?

rpm --showrc?

If not, that's surely a bug in their distribution. Not that they're always big on caring about bugs.

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Devrim Gündüz
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 11:54 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> They haven't added anything to rpmmacros?
>
> rpm --showrc?
>
> If not, that's surely a bug in their distribution. Not that they're always
> big on caring about bugs.

I don't know, I don't hve access to Amazon Linux. Daniel?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:42 PM, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2018-03-21 at 11:10 -0400, Payal Singh wrote:
> Looking to see if there is any progress on this? It seems like there is
> still no officially supported package for pg10 on amazon linux.

Unfortunately, no. I'm willing to add macros to the spec files, but there is no
 interest at this point to go further.

Probably out of the scope of this email group, but I'm curious if you or anyone else might have any advice for people running postgres on amazon linux? Installation of centOS packages fails with systemd related errors. Aside from installing from source, is there any alternative if we want to upgrade to pg10 on amazon linux?

Thanks,

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

Re: [pgsql-pkg-yum] Amazon Linux PGDG Repo?

От
Jason Petersen
Дата: