Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Logical Replication - test_decoding - unchanged-toast-datum

[GENERAL] Logical Replication - test_decoding - unchanged-toast-datum

От
Abhinav Singh
Дата:
Hello,

I am currently using PostgreSQL Community version 9.4.9 and then using this instance, I am doing logical replication(using replication slots). I have created the replication slots using the following query:

SELECT xlog_position FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('cjkimqvfuvixqyjd_00016389_e6f7c975_a311_4067_bcf1_a6accb57ab37', 'test_decoding')

So the issue that I am facing is because of the updates that are being done to my table. I was able to reproduce the same issue again using the following sample:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. Table on the source(which is RDS PostgreSQL):

CREATE TABLE public.toast_test1
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
is_not_toast INT,
is_toast VARCHAR(32767)
);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX toast_test_id_uindex1 ON public.toast_test1 (id);

2. Insert some values:

INSERT INTO public.toast_test1
(is_not_toast, is_toast) VALUES
(0, (SELECT string_agg(series::text, ',')
FROM generate_series(1, 1000) AS series));

So basically, every time you execute the above query, a new row will be inserted. So execute the same for 4-5 times.

3. So now I started my replication.

4. If for example, I am doing an update using the below mentioned query on my source instance:

UPDATE public.toast_test SET is_not_toast = 1;

5. On the target, when I do a select * and see that the column with character varying() datatype has changed to 'unchanged-toast-datum'.

6. So on further checking the replication slot at the time, when I issued an update, I can see this:

postgres2@t1=> SELECT * FROM pg_logical_slot_get_changes('cjkimqvfuvixqyjd_00016389_e6f7c975_a311_4067_bcf1_a6accb57ab37', NULL, NULL);
  location   |  xid  |                                                           data
-------------+-------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3D/95003D58 | 17974 | BEGIN 17974
3D/950049D0 | 17974 | table public.toast_test1: UPDATE: id[integer]:1 is_not_toast[integer]:1 is_toast[character varying]:unchanged-toast-datum
3D/95004A78 | 17974 | COMMIT 17974
(3 rows)

Even after setting the REPLICA IDENTITY to FULL for this table did not help.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kindly review and please share your comments on this matter.

Re: [GENERAL] Logical Replication - test_decoding - unchanged-toast-datum

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
I am currently using PostgreSQL Community version 9.4.9 and then using this instance, I am doing logical replication(using replication slots). I have created the replication slots using the following query:

SELECT xlog_position FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('cjkimqvfuvixqyjd_00016389_e6f7c975_a311_4067_bcf1_a6accb57ab37', 'test_decoding')

3. So now I started my replication.

This is one of the MANY reasons test_decoding isn't suitable as the base for a replication solution. It has "test" in its name for a reason.

Your replication model, whatever it is, is broken, since it's not handling special cases like unchanged TOASTed values in UPDATEs. This is a bug in your replication tool.

Re: [GENERAL] Logical Replication - test_decoding -unchanged-toast-datum

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-09-28 08:19:08 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> This is one of the MANY reasons test_decoding isn't suitable as the base
> for a replication solution. It has "test" in its name for a reason.

FWIW, I don't see why the unchanged toast stuff is that. It's clearly
discernible from actual datums, so ...

I agree that test_decoding isn't a great base of a replication tool, but
I don't think it's completely unsuitable, and I also think that ship has
sailed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund