Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

[HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
The description of \d[S+] currently does not mention that it will list
materialized views and foreign tables.  Attached fixes that.

Thanks,
Amit

Re: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
Ashutosh Bapat
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> The description of \d[S+] currently does not mention that it will list
> materialized views and foreign tables.  Attached fixes that.

I guess the same change is applicable to the description of \d[S+] NAME as well.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Re: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On 2017/07/13 19:57, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> The description of \d[S+] currently does not mention that it will list
>> materialized views and foreign tables.  Attached fixes that.
>>

> I guess the same change is applicable to the description of \d[S+] NAME as well.

Thanks for the review.  Fixed in the attached.

Thanks,
Amit

Re: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2017/07/13 19:57, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> The description of \d[S+] currently does not mention that it will list
>>> materialized views and foreign tables.  Attached fixes that.
>>>

>> I guess the same change is applicable to the description of \d[S+] NAME as well.
>
> Thanks for the review.  Fixed in the attached.

The problem with this, IMV, is that it makes those lines more than 80
characters, whereas right now they are not.  And that line seems
doomed to get even longer in the future.

Of course, having it be inaccurate is not great either.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2017/07/13 19:57, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> The description of \d[S+] currently does not mention that it will list
>>> materialized views and foreign tables.  Attached fixes that.
>>>

>> I guess the same change is applicable to the description of \d[S+] NAME as well.
>
> Thanks for the review.  Fixed in the attached.

The problem with this, IMV, is that it makes those lines more than 80
characters, whereas right now they are not.

​84: ​  \\d[S+]                 list (foreign) tables, (materialized) views, and sequences\n
76:   \\d[S+]                 list (foreign) tables, (mat.) views, and sequences\n

  And that line seems
doomed to get even longer in the future.

​Cross that bridge when we come to it?

Lumping the tables and views into a single label (I'd go with "relations" since these are all - albeit non-exclusively - things that can appear in a FROM clause) would greatly aid things here.  Indexes and sequences would retain their own identities.  But I seem to recall that elsewhere we call indexes relations - and I'm not sure about sequences.

I'm partial to calling it "relations and sequences" and letting the reader check the documentation for what "relations" means in this context.

David J.

Re: [HACKERS] Update description of \d[S+] in \?

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On 2017/08/01 11:44, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

>> as well.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the review.  Fixed in the attached.
>>
>> The problem with this, IMV, is that it makes those lines more than 80
>> characters, whereas right now they are not.
>

> ​84: ​  \\d[S+]                 list (foreign) tables, (materialized)
> views, and sequences\n
> 76:   \\d[S+]                 list (foreign) tables, (mat.) views, and
> sequences\n
>
>   And that line seems
>> doomed to get even longer in the future.
>>

> ​Cross that bridge when we come to it?
>
> Lumping the tables and views into a single label (I'd go with "relations"
> since these are all - albeit non-exclusively - things that can appear in a
> FROM clause) would greatly aid things here.  Indexes and sequences would
> retain their own identities.  But I seem to recall that elsewhere we call
> indexes relations - and I'm not sure about sequences.
>
> I'm partial to calling it "relations and sequences" and letting the reader
> check the documentation for what "relations" means in this context.

Hmm, that makes it short.

\d[S+]                 list relations and sequences
\d[S+]  NAME           describe relation, index, or sequence

But, quite a few error messages generated by the backend will still list
them with the current names that are based on relkind.  For example, here
is one:

alter table foo_a_seq rename last_value to what;

ERROR:  "foo_a_seq" is not a table, view, materialized view, composite
type, index, or foreign table

Any terminology change we introduce will have to preserve consistency
across the board.

Thanks,
Amit