Обсуждение: [pgadmin-hackers] [pgAdmin4][Patch][RM_ 2477]: New Line text edit pop up renders offpage when the size of the grid exceeds the size of the window

Hi

Changes:

1) Calculate text editor position properly when the size of the grid exceeds the size of the window.

2) Assign NumberEditor to cell types('oid', 'xid', 'real').

3) Remove inline styles from rendered editors and move its styles to CSS file.

Please find attached patch and review.

Thanks
Surinder
Вложения
Hi

Can you update this so that the CSS all follows the standards in the
WIP styleguide please? I see that the current patch is using the wrong
font for example.

http://pgadmin4-styleguide.cfapps.io/

Thanks!

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Surinder Kumar
<surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Changes:
>
> 1) Calculate text editor position properly when the size of the grid exceeds
> the size of the window.
>
> 2) Assign NumberEditor to cell types('oid', 'xid', 'real').
>
> 3) Remove inline styles from rendered editors and move its styles to CSS
> file.
>
> Please find attached patch and review.
>
> Thanks
> Surinder

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hi

The current font-family applied to slick-grid is 'Verdana,Arial,sans-serif'.
I tried changing it to "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif but the font size and spacing between text is reduced. so to match style I used "Verdana".

Also, as per my knowledge, the Helvetica font will work only for Operating Systems where this font actually exists in system, otherwise it will pick Arial font.

The right way to use 'Helvetica' is to download its 'ttf' and 'eot' files and use in CSS so that it appears same on all machines:

But it seems it is not available for free

Can you update this so that the CSS all follows the standards in the
WIP styleguide please? I see that the current patch is using the wrong
font for example.

http://pgadmin4-styleguide.cfapps.io/

Thanks!

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Surinder Kumar
<surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Changes:
>
> 1) Calculate text editor position properly when the size of the grid exceeds
> the size of the window.
>
> 2) Assign NumberEditor to cell types('oid', 'xid', 'real').
>
> 3) Remove inline styles from rendered editors and move its styles to CSS
> file.
>
> Please find attached patch and review.
>
> Thanks
> Surinder

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Adding Shirley...

Hi

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Surinder Kumar
<surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The current font-family applied to slick-grid is 'Verdana,Arial,sans-serif'.
> I tried changing it to "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif but
> the font size and spacing between text is reduced. so to match style I used
> "Verdana".
>
> Also, as per my knowledge, the Helvetica font will work only for Operating
> Systems where this font actually exists in system, otherwise it will pick
> Arial font.
>
> The right way to use 'Helvetica' is to download its 'ttf' and 'eot' files
> and use in CSS so that it appears same on all machines:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13013616/css-helvetica-neue-not-working
>
> But it seems it is not available for free
> https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/neue-helvetica/licensing.html

Oh, that's not good. I assume we were relying on it being on a users
machine already. I think we need to do one of two things:

1) Default to a font that we know should exist everywhere.
2) Have a fallback from Helvetica Neue to Arial or similar.
3) Choose something completely new and free, and ship it with the app.

I prefer 1 if possible, then 2, finally 3.

Shirley, any thoughts?

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Can you update this so that the CSS all follows the standards in the
>> WIP styleguide please? I see that the current patch is using the wrong
>> font for example.
>>
>> http://pgadmin4-styleguide.cfapps.io/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Surinder Kumar
>> <surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Changes:
>> >
>> > 1) Calculate text editor position properly when the size of the grid
>> > exceeds
>> > the size of the window.
>> >
>> > 2) Assign NumberEditor to cell types('oid', 'xid', 'real').
>> >
>> > 3) Remove inline styles from rendered editors and move its styles to CSS
>> > file.
>> >
>> > Please find attached patch and review.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Surinder
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Shirley and I are in SF this week so we will be even more async that usual.

-- Rob

> [...]

> Also, as per my knowledge, the Helvetica font will work only for Operating
> Systems where this font actually exists in system, otherwise it will pick
> Arial font.
>
> The right way to use 'Helvetica' is to download its 'ttf' and 'eot' files
> and use in CSS so that it appears same on all machines:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13013616/css-helvetica-neue-not-working
>
> But it seems it is not available for free
> https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/neue-helvetica/licensing.html

Oh, that's not good. I assume we were relying on it being on a users
machine already. I think we need to do one of two things:

1) Default to a font that we know should exist everywhere.
2) Have a fallback from Helvetica Neue to Arial or similar.
3) Choose something completely new and free, and ship it with the app.

I prefer 1 if possible, then 2, finally 3.

Option 1 would require us choosing something new and free (there are a lot of webfonts you can get from Google) but would take some time to pick the appropriate one.

Option 2 would be the best option for now. We should stick with Helvetica and Arial until we have more time to choose the right font.
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:

>>> Oh, that's not good. I assume we were relying on it being on a users
>>> machine already. I think we need to do one of two things:
>>>
>>> 1) Default to a font that we know should exist everywhere.
>>> 2) Have a fallback from Helvetica Neue to Arial or similar.
>>>
>>> 3) Choose something completely new and free, and ship it with the app.
>>>
>>> I prefer 1 if possible, then 2, finally 3.
>>>
>>> Shirley, any thoughts?
>

> Option 1 would require us choosing something new and free (there are a lot
> of webfonts you can get from Google) but would take some time to pick the
> appropriate one.
>
> Option 2 would be the best option for now. We should stick with Helvetica
> and Arial until we have more time to choose the right font.

Sounds good to me.

Surinder, can you make that change please? And update any other font
definitions in our CSS to have the same fallback?

Thanks.

--

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:

>>> Oh, that's not good. I assume we were relying on it being on a users
>>> machine already. I think we need to do one of two things:
>>>
>>> 1) Default to a font that we know should exist everywhere.
>>> 2) Have a fallback from Helvetica Neue to Arial or similar.
>>>
>>> 3) Choose something completely new and free, and ship it with the app.
>>>
>>> I prefer 1 if possible, then 2, finally 3.
>>>
>>> Shirley, any thoughts?
>

> Option 1 would require us choosing something new and free (there are a lot
> of webfonts you can get from Google) but would take some time to pick the
> appropriate one.
>
> Option 2 would be the best option for now. We should stick with Helvetica
> and Arial until we have more time to choose the right font.

Sounds good to me.

Surinder, can you make that change please? And update any other font
definitions in our CSS to have the same fallback?
​Added fonts Arial, Verdana as fallback in pgadmin.styles.css file. Also used text-12​ class for datagrid element.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения
Thanks, patch applied.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Surinder Kumar