Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

[HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
Hi,

Attached patch for $subject.

s/recovey/recovery/

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 8 May 2017 at 06:28, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached patch for $subject.
>
> s/recovey/recovery/

There was a typo, but the comment itself was slightly wrong and also
duplicated with another comment further down.

So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.

Thanks

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 8 May 2017 at 06:28, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached patch for $subject.
>>
>> s/recovey/recovery/
>
> There was a typo, but the comment itself was slightly wrong and also
> duplicated with another comment further down.
>
> So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.

Okay, thank you!

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

Дата:
> So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.

Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
copy the nonzero value.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.
>
> Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
> copy the nonzero value.

Right, I'd missed it. That code should be placed before first memcpy.

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-05-08 09:12:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.
>
> Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
> copy the nonzero value.

I've not seen a fix and/or alleviating comment about this so far.  Did I
miss something?

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Masahiko Sawada
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-05-08 09:12:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> > So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.
>>
>> Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
>> copy the nonzero value.
>
> I've not seen a fix and/or alleviating comment about this so far.  Did I
> miss something?

I think we don't have the fix for the comment from Tom so far, too.

Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-07 10:17:31 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-05-08 09:12:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > > So rearranged code a little to keep it lean.
> >
> > Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
> > copy the nonzero value.
>
> I've not seen a fix and/or alleviating comment about this so far.  Did I
> miss something?

Simon, FWIW, I plan to either revert or fix this up soon-ish.  Unless
you're going to actually respond on this thread?

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 23 June 2017 at 08:21, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>> > Didn't you break it with that?  As it now stands, the memcpy will
>> > copy the nonzero value.
>>
>> I've not seen a fix and/or alleviating comment about this so far.  Did I
>> miss something?
>
> Simon, FWIW, I plan to either revert or fix this up soon-ish.  Unless
> you're going to actually respond on this thread?

Sorry, I've only just seen Tom's reply. Will fix.

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 23 June 2017 at 08:23, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 23 June 2017 at 08:21, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

>>> I've not seen a fix and/or alleviating comment about this so far.  Did I
>>> miss something?
>>
>> Simon, FWIW, I plan to either revert or fix this up soon-ish.  Unless
>> you're going to actually respond on this thread?
>
> Sorry, I've only just seen Tom's reply. Will fix.

I don't see a bug. Perhaps I'm tired and can't see it yet.

Will fix if you thwack me with the explanation.

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2017-06-23 19:21:57 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 23 June 2017 at 08:23, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> Simon, FWIW, I plan to either revert or fix this up soon-ish.  Unless
> >> you're going to actually respond on this thread?
> >
> > Sorry, I've only just seen Tom's reply. Will fix.
>
> I don't see a bug. Perhaps I'm tired and can't see it yet.
>
> Will fix if you thwack me with the explanation.

Wasn't my complaint, but here we go:

Previous code:
/* * Ignore the SubXID array if it has overflowed, unless the snapshot was * taken during recovey - in that case,
top-levelXIDs are in subxip as * well, and we mustn't lose them. */if (serialized_snapshot.suboverflowed &&
!snapshot->takenDuringRecovery)   serialized_snapshot.subxcnt = 0;

/* Copy struct to possibly-unaligned buffer */memcpy(start_address,       &serialized_snapshot,
sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData));

i.e. if suboverflowed, start_address would contain subxcnt = 0.

New code:

/* Copy struct to possibly-unaligned buffer */memcpy(start_address,       &serialized_snapshot,
sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData));
/* Copy XID array */if (snapshot->xcnt > 0)    memcpy((TransactionId *) (start_address +
sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData)),          snapshot->xip, snapshot->xcnt * sizeof(TransactionId));

/* * Copy SubXID array. Don't bother to copy it if it had overflowed, * though, because it's not used anywhere in that
case.Except if it's a * snapshot taken during recovery; all the top-level XIDs are in subxip as * well in that case, so
wemustn't lose them. */if (serialized_snapshot.suboverflowed && !snapshot->takenDuringRecovery)
serialized_snapshot.subxcnt= 0;

Here the copy is done before subxcnt = 0.

- Andres

Re: [HACKERS] Fix a typo in snapmgr.c

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 23 June 2017 at 19:25, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-06-23 19:21:57 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > Sorry, I've only just seen Tom's reply. Will fix.
>>
>> I don't see a bug. Perhaps I'm tired and can't see it yet.
>>
>> Will fix if you thwack me with the explanation.
>
> Wasn't my complaint, but here we go:
>
> Previous code:
>
>         /*
>          * Ignore the SubXID array if it has overflowed, unless the snapshot was
>          * taken during recovey - in that case, top-level XIDs are in subxip as
>          * well, and we mustn't lose them.
>          */
>         if (serialized_snapshot.suboverflowed && !snapshot->takenDuringRecovery)
>                 serialized_snapshot.subxcnt = 0;
>
>         /* Copy struct to possibly-unaligned buffer */
>         memcpy(start_address,
>                    &serialized_snapshot, sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData));
>
> i.e. if suboverflowed, start_address would contain subxcnt = 0.
>
> New code:
>

>         /* Copy struct to possibly-unaligned buffer */
>         memcpy(start_address,
>                    &serialized_snapshot, sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData));
>
>         /* Copy XID array */
>         if (snapshot->xcnt > 0)
>                 memcpy((TransactionId *) (start_address +
>                                                                   sizeof(SerializedSnapshotData)),
>                            snapshot->xip, snapshot->xcnt * sizeof(TransactionId));
>
>         /*
>          * Copy SubXID array. Don't bother to copy it if it had overflowed,
>          * though, because it's not used anywhere in that case. Except if it's a
>          * snapshot taken during recovery; all the top-level XIDs are in subxip as
>          * well in that case, so we mustn't lose them.
>          */
>         if (serialized_snapshot.suboverflowed && !snapshot->takenDuringRecovery)
>                 serialized_snapshot.subxcnt = 0;
>
> Here the copy is done before subxcnt = 0.

OK, me looking at the wrong memcpy, my bad. Thanks for the thwack.

Fixed.