Обсуждение: [GENERAL] initdb with ignore hidden option

[GENERAL] initdb with ignore hidden option

От
"Feld, Michael (IMS)"

Hi Postgres team,

                Our organization would like to make a feature request to ignore hidden files/directories when running an initdb. We use hidden directories for misc backup strategies, and it’s cumbersome when needing to coordinate with our storage administrator when we are re-using an existing directory for an initdb.

Options such as these would be helpful:

-ignore-existing

-ignore-dot-files

-ignore=(file/directory name)

Thanks

MF

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.

Re: [GENERAL] initdb with ignore hidden option

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 05/04/2017 09:59 AM, Feld, Michael (IMS) wrote:
> Hi Postgres team,
>

>                 Our organization would like to make a feature request to
> ignore hidden files/directories when running an initdb. We use hidden
> directories for misc backup strategies, and it’s cumbersome when needing
> to coordinate with our storage administrator when we are re-using an
> existing directory for an initdb.

I going to say this is not going to be on a list of priorities. The
primary reason being that having another program/programs running around
in $PGDATA is scary. It is often the root cause of the '$PGDATA or some
portion of it' disappeared posts that arrive on this list.  If you
really want to do this why not create symlinks in $PGDATA out to the
backup directories. Then you can rm * in the directory, initdb, run a
script that restores the symlinks.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com