Re: [GENERAL] initdb with ignore hidden option

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] initdb with ignore hidden option
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 05/04/2017 09:59 AM, Feld, Michael (IMS) wrote:
> Hi Postgres team,
>

>                 Our organization would like to make a feature request to
> ignore hidden files/directories when running an initdb. We use hidden
> directories for misc backup strategies, and it’s cumbersome when needing
> to coordinate with our storage administrator when we are re-using an
> existing directory for an initdb.

I going to say this is not going to be on a list of priorities. The
primary reason being that having another program/programs running around
in $PGDATA is scary. It is often the root cause of the '$PGDATA or some
portion of it' disappeared posts that arrive on this list.  If you
really want to do this why not create symlinks in $PGDATA out to the
backup directories. Then you can rm * in the directory, initdb, run a
script that restores the symlinks.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com