Обсуждение: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

[HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

От
Konstantin Knizhnik
Дата:
Hi hackers,

There were a lot of discussions about query plan caching in hackers
mailing list, but I failed to find some clear answer for my question and
the current consensus on this question in Postgres community. As far as
I understand current state is the following:
1. We have per-connection prepared statements.
2. Queries executed inside plpgsql code are implicitly prepared.

It is not always possible or convenient to use prepared statements.
For example, if pgbouncer is used to perform connection pooling.
Another use case (which is actually the problem I am trying to solve
now) is partitioning.
Efficient execution of query to partitioned table requires hardcoded
value for partitioning key.
Only in this case optimizer will be able to construct efficient query
plan which access only affected tables (partitions).

My small benchmark for distributed partitioned table based on pg_pathman
+ postgres_fdw shows 3 times degrade of performance in case of using
prepared statements.
But without prepared statements substantial amount of time is spent in
query compilation and planning. I was be able to speed up benchmark more
than two time by
sending prepared queries directly to the remote nodes.

So what I am thinking now is implicit query caching. If the same query
with different literal values is repeated many times, then we can try to
generalize this query and replace it with prepared query with
parameters. I am not considering now shared query cache: is seems to be
much harder to implement. But local caching of generalized queries seems
to be not so difficult to implement and requires not so much changes in
Postgres code. And it can be useful not only for sharding, but for many
other cases where prepared statements can not be used.

I wonder if such option was already considered and if it was for some
reasons rejected: can you point me at this reasons?

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

От
Alexander Korotkov
Дата:
Hi, Konstantin!

[...]

I don't think it's correct to ask PostgreSQL hackers about problem which arises with pg_pathman while pg_pathman is an extension supported by Postgres Pro.
Since we have declarative partitioning committed to 10, I think that community should address this issue in the context of declarative partitioning.
However, it's unlikely we can spot this issue with declarative partitioning because it still uses very inefficient constraint exclusion mechanism.  Thus, issues you are writing about would become visible on declarative partitioning only when constraint exclusion would be replaced with something more efficient.

Long story short, could you reproduce this issue without pg_pathman?

------
Alexander Korotkov
[...]

Sorry, I have mentioned pg_pathman just as example.
The same problems takes place with partitioning based on standard Postgres inheritance mechanism (when I manually create derived tables and specify constraints for them).
I didn't test yet declarative partitioning committed to 10, but I expect the that it will also suffer from this problem (because is based on inheritance).
But as I wrote, I think that the problem with plan caching is wider and is not bounded just to partitioning.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2017-04-24 11:46:02 +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> So what I am thinking now is implicit query caching. If the same query with
> different literal values is repeated many times, then we can try to
> generalize this query and replace it with prepared query with
> parameters.

That's not actuall all that easy:
- You pretty much do parse analysis to be able to do an accurate match. How much overhead is parse analysis vs.
planningin your cases?

- The invalidation infrastructure for this, if not tied to to fully parse-analyzed statements, is going to be hell.
- Migrating to parameters can actually cause significant slowdowns, not nice if that happens implicitly.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

От
Konstantin Knizhnik
Дата:
So what I am thinking now is implicit query caching. If the same query with
different literal values is repeated many times, then we can try to
generalize this query and replace it with prepared query with
parameters.
That's not actuall all that easy:
- You pretty much do parse analysis to be able to do an accurate match. How much overhead is parse analysis vs. planning in your cases?
- The invalidation infrastructure for this, if not tied to to fully parse-analyzed statements, is going to be hell.
- Migrating to parameters can actually cause significant slowdowns, not nice if that happens implicitly.

Well, first of all I want to share results I already get: pgbench with default parameters,  scale 10 and one connection:

protocol
TPS
simple
3492
extended
2927
prepared
6865
simple + autoprepare
6844

So autoprepare is as efficient as explicit prepare and can increase performance almost two times.

My current implementation is replacing with parameters only string literals in the query, i.e. select * from T where x='123'; -> select * from T where x=$1;
It greatly simplifies matching of parameters - it is just necessary to locate '\'' character and then correctly handle pairs  of quotes.
Handling of integer and real literals is really challenged task.
One source of problems is negation: it is not so easy to correctly understand whether minus should be treated as part of literal or as operator:
(-1), (1-1), (1-1)-1
Another problem is caused by using integer literals in context where parameters can not be used, for example "order by 1".

Fully correct substitution can be done by first performing parsing the query, then transform parse tree, replacing literal nodes with parameter nodes and finally deparse tree into generalized query. postgres_fdw already contains such deparse code. It can be moved to postgres core and reused for autoprepare (and may be somewhere else).
But in this case overhead will be much higher.
I still think that query parsing time is significantly smaller than time needed for building and optimizing query execution plan.
But it should be measured if community will be interested in such approach.

There is obvious question: how I managed to get this pgbench results if currently only substitution of string literals is supported and queries constructed by pgbench don't contain string literals? I just made small patch in pgbench replaceVariable method wrapping value's representation in quotes. It has almost no impact on performance (3482 TPS  vs. 3492 TPS),
but allows autoprepare to deal with pgbench queries.

I attached my patch to this mail. It is just first version of the patch (based on REL9_6_STABLE branch) just to illustrate proposed approach.
I will be glad to receive any comments and if such optimization is considered to be useful, I will continue work on this patch.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company
Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

От
Serge Rielau