Обсуждение: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series Database Released (www.i-programmer.info);

[GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series Database Released (www.i-programmer.info);

От
"Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
Дата:
Warm Greetings To pgsql-general@postgresql.org

(I am a very newbie user of PG for a pretty trivial PHP / SQL web app.
Been lurking with great admiration for a long time, on the
pgsql-general@postgresql.org discussion list channel.)

I subscribe to a usefully wide-ranging but tightly edited source of
tech-related news:

www.i-programmer.info

* * *
* * *

Here is a link to an interesting recent i-programmer article titled
"Open Source Time Series Database Released":

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/84/10648.html

And here are selected snippets quoted from this i-programmer web article
about the TimeScaleDB open source project :

"A new, open-source time series database built with the Postgres engine
has been released. TimeScaleDB is currently available in a single-node
version, and is optimized for fast ingest and complex queries.

"The developers say that it offers advantages because unlike traditional
RDBMS, TimescaleDB it scales-out horizontally across multiple servers;
while unlike NoSQL databases, it natively supports all of SQL

The developers say they were unwilling to make the trade-off between the
horizontally scalability of NoSQL and the query power of relational
databases:

"We needed something that offered both, so we built it".

"The SQL support comes courtesy of the PostgreSQL engine, and includes
features such as secondary indices, JOINs, and window functions.
TimescaleDB acts and appears as though it is just a PostgreSQL database:
You connect to the database as if it's PostgreSQL, and you can
administer the database as if it's PostgreSQL. Any tools and libraries
that connect with PostgreSQL will automatically work with TimescaleDB.

"The developers say TimescaleDB offers advantages over straight
PostgreSQL because PostgreSQL does not scale well to the volume of data
that most time-series applications produce, especially when running on a
single server. They say that in particular, vanilla PostgreSQL has poor
write performance for large tables, and this problem only becomes worse
over time as data volume grows linearly in time. These problems emerge
when table indexes can no longer fit in memory, as each insert will
translate to many disk fetches to swap in portions of the indexes'
B-Trees.

* * *
* * *

Curious to learn if any seriously PG-knowledgeable list participants
have thoughts on this TimeScaleDB project ??

Would there be merit in considering porting some TimeScaleDB
functionality into standard Postgres, as a response to NoSQL
"competition"  ??

Best Regards,

Steve

* * *

Steve Petrie, P.Eng.

http://aspetrie.net
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
(905) 847-3253
apetrie@aspetrie.net

Re: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series DatabaseReleased (www.i-programmer.info);

От
Nicolas Paris
Дата:
Le 09 avril 2017 à 05:31, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. écrivait :
> Warm Greetings To pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> (I am a very newbie user of PG for a pretty trivial PHP / SQL web app. Been
> lurking with great admiration for a long time, on the
> pgsql-general@postgresql.org discussion list channel.)
>
> I subscribe to a usefully wide-ranging but tightly edited source of
> tech-related news:
>
> www.i-programmer.info
>
> * * *
> * * *
>
> Here is a link to an interesting recent i-programmer article titled "Open
> Source Time Series Database Released":
>
> http://www.i-programmer.info/news/84/10648.html
>
> And here are selected snippets quoted from this i-programmer web article
> about the TimeScaleDB open source project :
>
> "A new, open-source time series database built with the Postgres engine has
> been released. TimeScaleDB is currently available in a single-node version,
> and is optimized for fast ingest and complex queries.
>
> "The developers say that it offers advantages because unlike traditional
> RDBMS, TimescaleDB it scales-out horizontally across multiple servers; while
> unlike NoSQL databases, it natively supports all of SQL

Thanks for the work around timeseries databases !

No mention of horizontal sharding mecanisms in the paper. Can you
provide more details ?

> [...]

>> Source Time Series Database Released":
>>
>> http://www.i-programmer.info/news/84/10648.html
>>
>> And here are selected snippets quoted from this i-programmer web
>> article
>> about the TimeScaleDB open source project :
>>
>> "A new, open-source time series database built with the Postgres
>> engine has
>> been released. TimeScaleDB is currently available in a single-node
>> version,
>> and is optimized for fast ingest and complex queries.
>>
>> "The developers say that it offers advantages because unlike
>> traditional
>> RDBMS, TimescaleDB it scales-out horizontally across multiple
>> servers; while
>> unlike NoSQL databases, it natively supports all of SQL
>>

> Thanks for the work around timeseries databases !
>
> No mention of horizontal sharding mecanisms in the paper. Can you

Just to be clear. I am not involved in any way in the TimeSeriesDB
project. To repeat, I happened to come across mention of TimeSeriesDB in
an e-newsletter www.i-programmer.info

I don't use TimeSeriesDB myself. But I thought the claims by its
developers for its providing NoSQL-like capabilities, but built on the
PostgreSQL DB engine, and providing a complete SQL interface, might be
interesting to some members of pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Regrets for any confusion caused.

Steve

<snip>

>> Steve
>>
>> * * *
>>
>> Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
>>
>> http://aspetrie.net
>> Oakville, Ontario, Canada
>> (905) 847-3253
>> apetrie@aspetrie.net
>>

>> --

Re: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series DatabaseReleased (www.i-programmer.info);

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 04/10/2017 05:22 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. wrote:
> Please see below.

TimeseriesDB is an interesting project. They actually sponsored at spoke
at PGConf US. You can see their presentation here:

https://www.pgconf.us/conferences/2017/program/proposals/372

Thanks,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.