Re: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series Database Released (www.i-programmer.info);

От Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
Тема Re: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series Database Released (www.i-programmer.info);
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Please see below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas Paris" <niparisco@gmail.com>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie@aspetrie.net>
Cc: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2017 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] TimeScaleDB -- Open Source Time Series Database
Released (www.i-programmer.info);

> Le 09 avril 2017 à 05:31, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. écrivait :
>> Warm Greetings To pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>>
>> (I am a very newbie user of PG for a pretty trivial PHP / SQL web
>> app. Been
>> lurking with great admiration for a long time, on the
>> pgsql-general@postgresql.org discussion list channel.)
>>
>> I subscribe to a usefully wide-ranging but tightly edited source of
>> tech-related news:
>>
>> www.i-programmer.info
>>
>> * * *
>> * * *
>>
>> Here is a link to an interesting recent i-programmer article titled
>> "Open
>> Source Time Series Database Released":
>>
>> http://www.i-programmer.info/news/84/10648.html
>>
>> And here are selected snippets quoted from this i-programmer web
>> article
>> about the TimeScaleDB open source project :
>>
>> "A new, open-source time series database built with the Postgres
>> engine has
>> been released. TimeScaleDB is currently available in a single-node
>> version,
>> and is optimized for fast ingest and complex queries.
>>
>> "The developers say that it offers advantages because unlike
>> traditional
>> RDBMS, TimescaleDB it scales-out horizontally across multiple
>> servers; while
>> unlike NoSQL databases, it natively supports all of SQL
>>

> Thanks for the work around timeseries databases !
>
> No mention of horizontal sharding mecanisms in the paper. Can you
> provide more details ?

Just to be clear. I am not involved in any way in the TimeSeriesDB
project. To repeat, I happened to come across mention of TimeSeriesDB in
an e-newsletter www.i-programmer.info

I don't use TimeSeriesDB myself. But I thought the claims by its
developers for its providing NoSQL-like capabilities, but built on the
PostgreSQL DB engine, and providing a complete SQL interface, might be
interesting to some members of pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Regrets for any confusion caused.

Steve

<snip>