Обсуждение: [GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

[GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

От
Martin F
Дата:
Hi,
I just started last week to build postgresql from source. (So this may
well be something I did wrong on my side)

I am on branch master
   Revision: f7819baa618c528f60e266874051563ecfe08207
   Date: 17/03/2017 18:58:06

I did build with

make clean distclean
./configure --prefix=/deploys/postgresql/inst/  --with-pgport=5433
--enable-debug CFLAGS="-ggdb -O0 -g3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer"
make
make install

And  I  got a few tests failing.
      macaddr8                 ... FAILED
      opr_sanity               ... FAILED
      object_address           ... FAILED

If I build with
     ./configure --prefix=/deploys/postgresql/inst/ --with-pgport=5433
then all tests pass.

So questions:
- Can anyone else reproduce this?
- How to establish if this is a problem with my build, or a bug in pg?
   (And if the latter, what next)

____
one more note:
   make check
has a problem on my system, but I (believe I) have worked around.
I can see that "make check" sets
PATH="/deploys/postgresql/postgresql/tmp_install/deploys/postgresql/inst/bin:$PATH"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/deploys/postgresql/postgresql/tmp_install/deploys/postgresql/inst/lib"
but this path does not exist, and therefore binaries are not found.
I did install the build, and set the path (and ld-path) to include the
install location, then run the tests.
I have not found what causes this issue, but maybe it is the --prefix?

  uname -a
FreeBSD bsd1 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789: Fri Jan 17
01:46:25 UTC 2014 root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

   gmake --version
GNU Make 4.1
Built for i386-portbld-freebsd10.0

    cc --version
FreeBSD clang version 3.3 (tags/RELEASE_33/final 183502) 20130610
Target: i386-unknown-freebsd10.0
Thread model: posix

Re: [GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 03/17/2017 06:07 PM, Martin F wrote:
> Hi,
> I just started last week to build postgresql from source. (So this may
> well be something I did wrong on my side)

Do you really want to build the latest dev version?

If not and you want a specific version you should look here:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

От
Martin F
Дата:
On 18/03/2017 01:22, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 03/17/2017 06:07 PM, Martin F wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just started last week to build postgresql from source. (So this may
>> well be something I did wrong on my side)
>
> Do you really want to build the latest dev version?

Yes, I want the latest, and I understand, that it may be unstable.

this is not using the postgres in any production/development. Rather
that I want to start exploring the postgres sources themself.

Re: [GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

Дата:
Martin F <pg@mfriebe.de> writes:
> I did build with

> make clean distclean
> ./configure --prefix=/deploys/postgresql/inst/  --with-pgport=5433
> --enable-debug CFLAGS="-ggdb -O0 -g3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer"
> make
> make install

That looks like it ought to work.  Did you get any compile warnings?
(Personally I tend to do the make steps as "make -s" so that you can
spot the warnings if there are any.)

> And  I  got a few tests failing.
>       macaddr8                 ... FAILED
>       opr_sanity               ... FAILED
>       object_address           ... FAILED

Hard to say much about that.  Looking at the actual regression.diffs
might be more informative.

A general tip when playing around with development HEAD is to look
at the buildfarm:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

If critters are falling over left and right on the commit you pulled,
then you got a bad version.  If all is green on the buildfarm but
it's not working for you, then we'd like to hear details.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] testcase failing on git master / how to progress

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> If critters are falling over left and right on the commit you pulled,
> then you got a bad version.  If all is green on the buildfarm but
> it's not working for you, then we'd like to hear details.

If you can still produce failures even on latest HEAD, and that the
environment you are testing is more particular than anything currently
on the buildfarm, creating a new buildfarm animal would be a good idea
as your settings would be immediately covered and failure would be
tracked easily.
--
Michael