Обсуждение: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL general discussions list - 2010 Thread: Wikipedia entry -AmigaOS port - error?

[GENERAL] PostgreSQL general discussions list - 2010 Thread: Wikipedia entry -AmigaOS port - error?

От
Raffaele Irlanda
Дата:
Hello People of PostgreSQL,

Unfortunately only nowadays (March 2017), and only by chance I spotted this 2010 discussion during a Google search.

Name of discussion:

I found strange the doubt Mr. Glyn Astill expressed that Amiga platform entry in Wikipedia about availability of PostgreSQL could be an error, as he was just unaware that platform had a porting of PostgreSQL even if unofficial...

Also I found strange the fact Mr. Tom Lane immediately deleted Amiga reference entry on Wikipedia in article regarding RDBMS without performing any serious search on Google, lasting more than a couple of minutes of true serious search, or maybe asking directly into Amiga Forums about PostgreSQL to Amiga Communituy of Users.

Infacts there is a port of PostgreSQL made in the late 2005 (five years before your discussion started) present in online Amiga Repository AMINET and it was available for the Amiga clone Operating System called MorphOS

http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/postgresql632-mos-bin

In 2010 it has been sure completely outdated but sure you can see proof it exists, and that Amiga had full dignity of being present into Wikipedia Article.

A simple Google search could had helped you and sure it had solved your doubts, or maybe just paying a visit on Amiga Forums that are well represented online and asking directly to members of Amiga Community that are well known for their friendly welcome attitude (I can assure you two that we don't bite people from other platforms) sure had saved Mr. Tom Lane from his presupponential deletion of Amiga Entry in RDBMS in Wikipedia.

I get this occasion to inform you gentlemen that there are also various packages regarding SQLite into Amiga repositories, if you search for it. Last available package is from 2016, so it is not outdated this time. and If you are active also in SQLite Community now you have full info about Amiga portings.

http://aminet.net/search?query=SQLite

Hope from now on future, you will not delete anymore -abruptly- Amiga entries before informing yourself about Amiga portings availability when encoutering this platform name by chance on Wikipedia or other sites.

With respect,

Raffaele irlanda
On 03/13/2017 02:13 AM, Raffaele Irlanda wrote:
> Hello People of PostgreSQL,
>
> Unfortunately only nowadays (March 2017), and only by chance I spotted
> this 2010 discussion during a Google search.
>
> Name of discussion:
>
> Wikipedia entry - AmigaOS port - error?
>
> id of message:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/839805.58072.qm%40web23603.mail.ird.yahoo.com
>
> I found strange the doubt Mr. Glyn Astill expressed that Amiga platform
> entry in Wikipedia about availability of PostgreSQL could be an error,
> as he was just unaware that platform had a porting of PostgreSQL even if
> unofficial...
>
> Also I found strange the fact Mr. Tom Lane immediately deleted Amiga
> reference entry on Wikipedia in article regarding RDBMS without
> performing any serious search on Google, lasting more than a couple of
> minutes of true serious search, or maybe asking directly into Amiga
> Forums about PostgreSQL to Amiga Communituy of Users.
>
> Infacts there is a port of PostgreSQL made in the late 2005 (five years
> before your discussion started) present in online Amiga Repository
> AMINET and it was available for the Amiga clone Operating System called
> MorphOS

> http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/postgresql632-mos-bin
>
> In 2010 it has been sure completely outdated but sure you can see proof
> it exists, and that Amiga had full dignity of being present into
> Wikipedia Article.

I am pretty sure it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems#Operating_system_support

PostgreSQL     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes (MorphOS)[24]

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Adrian Klaver
<adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 03/13/2017 02:13 AM, Raffaele Irlanda wrote:

>> http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/postgresql632-mos-bin
>>
>> In 2010 it has been sure completely outdated but sure you can see proof
>> it exists, and that Amiga had full dignity of being present into
>> Wikipedia Article.
>

> I am pretty sure it is:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems#Operating_system_support
>
> PostgreSQL      Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes (MorphOS)[24]

Oh man, 2005's versuin 6.3.2.  It's more of a historical oddity than a
version I'd ever wanna run. Isn't there some way to get gnuc etc
running on an amiga and then work on direct support of the platform if
that's what you want? I'd think paying a well known amiga hacker to
port it would be a worthwhile investment.

Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> I am pretty sure it is:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems#Operating_system_support
>> PostgreSQL      Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes (MorphOS)[24]

> Oh man, 2005's versuin 6.3.2.  It's more of a historical oddity than a
> version I'd ever wanna run.

More to the point, whatever "MorphOS" is, it isn't AmigaOS.  It was pretty
clearly stated in the original thread that AmigaOS had no support for
fork(), without which there was no chance of running Postgres.  It's not
unreasonable of us to take the position that AmigaOS isn't a supported
platform, because *it is not*, and never has been.

(And, for the record, I didn't edit that wikipedia entry.  I don't even
have a wikipedia account.)

            regards, tom lane

PostgreSQL      Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes (MorphOS)[24]

Oh man, 2005's versuin 6.3.2.  It's more of a historical oddity than a
version I'd ever wanna run. Isn't there some way to get gnuc etc
running on an amiga and then work on direct support of the platform if
that's what you want? I'd think paying a well known amiga hacker to
port it would be a worthwhile investment.

indeed, a 12 year old one-time port to an obscure platform which is at best a historical oddity does no one any favors.  if its not supported and reasonably current, it might as well not exist.

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:15 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 3/13/2017 10:06 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> I am pretty sure it is:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems#Operating_system_support
>
> PostgreSQL      Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes (MorphOS)[24]
>
> Oh man, 2005's versuin 6.3.2.  It's more of a historical oddity than a

Correction 1998's.

> version I'd ever wanna run. Isn't there some way to get gnuc etc
> running on an amiga and then work on direct support of the platform if
> that's what you want? I'd think paying a well known amiga hacker to
> port it would be a worthwhile investment.
>

> indeed, a 12 year old one-time port to an obscure platform which is at best
> a historical oddity does no one any favors.  if its not supported and
> reasonably current, it might as well not exist.
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

>More to the point, whatever "MorphOS" is, it isn't AmigaOS.  It was pretty
>clearly stated in the original thread that AmigaOS had no support for
>fork(), without which there was no chance of running Postgres.

Just curious, if PG is completely dependent on fork(), how was it ported to Windows
which also does not support fork directly.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:40 PM, Rakesh Kumar
<rakeshkumar464@outlook.com> wrote:
>>More to the point, whatever "MorphOS" is, it isn't AmigaOS.  It was pretty
>>clearly stated in the original thread that AmigaOS had no support for
>>fork(), without which there was no chance of running Postgres.
>
> Just curious, if PG is completely dependent on fork(), how was it ported to Windows
> which also does not support fork directly.

There is a special treatment here with EXEC_BACKEND, so you can get PG
to work even if fork() is not in the area.
--
Michael