Обсуждение: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu

[GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu

От
Ankit Sablok
Дата:
Hi,

I am trying to install PostgreSQL from git source repo on my Ubuntu box the details of which are as follows :

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

while running "make world" after the configure script I am constantly receiving the following error and I am not able to find much help on web regarding the same :

/bin/sh ../../../config/missing osx -D. -x lower -i include-xslt-index postgres.sgml >postgres.xmltmp
***
ERROR: `osx' is missing on your system.
***
Makefile:250: recipe for target 'postgres.xml' failed

Kindly help me out with the same.

Thanks

Re: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/15/2017 12:56 AM, Ankit Sablok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL from git source repo on my Ubuntu box
> the details of which are as follows :
>
> Distributor ID:Ubuntu
> Release:16.04
> Codename:xenial
>
> while running "make world" after the configure script I am constantly
> receiving the following error and I am not able to find much help on web
> regarding the same :

It would be helpful to know:

1) Are you pulling from a particular head on the git repo or a
particular branch?

2) What where the arguments you passed to configure?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/15/2017 12:56 AM, Ankit Sablok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL from git source repo on my Ubuntu box
> the details of which are as follows :
>
> Distributor ID:Ubuntu
> Release:16.04
> Codename:xenial
>
> while running "make world" after the configure script I am constantly
> receiving the following error and I am not able to find much help on web
> regarding the same :
>
> /bin/sh ../../../config/missing osx -D. -x lower -i include-xslt-index
> postgres.sgml >postgres.xmltmp
> ***
> ERROR: `osx' is missing on your system.

Aah, I assumed this had something to do with OS X. Wrong assumption. On
my openSUSE install where make world succeeded I find the program osx:

aklaver@tito:~> osx --help
Usage: osx [OPTION] SYSID..

osx converts SGML to XML. osx parses and validates the SGML document
contained in SYSID... and writes an equivalent XML document to the
standard output. osx will warn about SGML constructs which have no XML
equivalent.

So it seems you need to install osx on your system.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: [GENERAL] "make world" constantly throwing error on Ubuntu

Дата:
Ankit Sablok <ankitsab@buffalo.edu> writes:
> while running "make world" after the configure script I am constantly
> receiving the following error and I am not able to find much help on web
> regarding the same :

> /bin/sh ../../../config/missing osx -D. -x lower -i include-xslt-index
> postgres.sgml >postgres.xmltmp
> ***
> ERROR: `osx' is missing on your system.
> ***

If you want to build the documentation (which is one of the steps implied
by "make world") then osx is one of the tools you need for that.  On my
RHEL machine it's part of the "opensp" package.  I don't know how Ubuntu
arranges their doc tools, but on RHEL and Fedora I've always found that
it was sufficient to install the "authoring and publishing" package set.
You can find additional advice at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/docguide.html

If you don't actually care about the PG docs, don't use "make world".
"make all" at the top level, followed by "make all" in the contrib
subdir, should cover what you need.

            regards, tom lane